Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
flintman

Bouzincourt Tunnel Tour ( Dave Platt)

Recommended Posts

flintman

I have just returned from my annual visit to the Somme with my friend Tony Kirk.

The highlight was Dave Platt's Bouzincourt tunnel tour which also fell on my 64th birthday.

A brilliant experience giving great insight into the life of the soldiers who rested underground in this tunnel/cave system.

The graffiti /soldiers details can still be seen clearly on the walls and remain a very poignant and moving tribute to all those

who used this tunnel. Dave provided great information and guidance as we made our way along the tunnel and cave system helped also by artifacts found there.

There are two stained glass windows in the church dated 1914 and 1918 also well worth a look.

My only error was to have taken (two- as per instructions) fairly underpowered battery torches (4 x AAbatteries) which you need to get your own close/upfront view of the graffiti as you move along the tunnel although they were still performed their job quite well. 

Some had much brighter digital type lights which made mine look yellow/dull.I would be looking to change that next time. 

(PS: Thanks for the happy birthday candle-lit  chorus underground chaps ! Also many thanks to Jean Luke - Bouzincourt) 

Great visit Dave.

I look forward to going down them again next year.     

Clive   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Swine

Sounds like a great time, I will be there in June on a Tunnellers Of The Great War Tour. Can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE PLATT

Thanks for the kind words Clive, I've been in the tunnels 100s of times now and never fail to be amazed at the new things to see in the nooks and crannies, even 'FUJI' carved out by a soldier no doubt attached to an Aussie unit.

 

Glad you enjoyed the candle moment, its probably the best rendition of 'Happy Birthday' you will ever get considering the location.

 

See you again soon

Dave

P1010659.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY

Dave, not sure "best" rendition but certainly the most bizarre!

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mills-bomb

Hi

how do you set about booking a tunnel visit please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY

You can contact Dave through his B&B shown in a link on the message of 21st March.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mills-bomb
9 hours ago, KIRKY said:

You can contact Dave through his B&B shown in a link on the message of 21st March.

Tony

 

can you do it direct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY

No, it has to go through Dave.

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mills-bomb
8 hours ago, KIRKY said:

No, it has to go through Dave.

Tony

 

Pity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY

Dave did a great job for us, explained safety aspect , supplied hard hats and drove us there. He was worked with the locals on this and together they have opened another great WW1 site, not to be missed!

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caulkheader
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 23:32, KIRKY said:

No, it has to go through Dave.

Tony

 

This is not the case.
We have just returned from [a slightly damp] weekend on the Somme. We were able to book a tour direct with the Mayor's office, it was most definitely the highlight of the weekend and I would recommend to anyone with an interest of the Great War. There were only 3 of us in our party, and Jean-Luc [deputy mayor & our guide] could not have been more accommodating. The charge was only 3 Euros each, which we actually topped up as we felt it was such good value. [all proceeds go towards the cost of further excavations].

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE PLATT

Just a note to those reading Caulkheader points about the tunnel visit at Bouzincourt.

To confirm, it is possible to get a tour through the Mayors office in Bouzincourt and as was written that's for 3 Euro  per person.

 

However, its very disjointed on getting through to Jean-Luc  and the Mayors office to make a booking.

They don't speak English in the office.

The Tour is only done in French, so if you don't speak French don't go direct you wont understand most of it.

They are NOT insured as I am, my public liability insurance as a registered tour guide covers you for any accidents, slips, trips and falls.

They don't have a detailed level of knowledge of the tunnels, sections,  items and graffitti, and will only point at certain aspects within the system.

The visit with the French is shorter than mine, but you still get the chance to have a decent viewing.

 

I charge a tenner a head, that's for me as your expert guide, pre visit brief usually at my house looking at genuine WW1 tunnelling equipment and an explanation of the estimated 55 miles of tunnels in the Somme area, pictures and research folder of the soldiers who names are on the walls, what was in each of the 26 accessible chambers (from British historical records) who is buried and commemorated locally, who survived etc, maps and history, The important characters who lived and worked in these tunnels like , General Rycroft graffiti, Canadian snipers (4) and lots of wonderful personal stories,  a proper safety brief and of course you are insured to visit with me.

Of the £10 per person I donate £3 to the excavation fund.

 

Please let me know if anyone wants a visit and I can make the arrangements for you, either with me or direct.

Thanks

Dave Platt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darruss

We have just returned from a battlefield tour, We dont generally use Tour guides prefering to do our own research, as we only have one fairly fluent french speaker we opted for Davids tour and i have to say  it was excellant. 15 Euros each for a very comprehensive tour and a wealth of information. i would reccomend David Platt to anybody thinking of doing this tunnel system..

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:36, DAVE PLATT said:

Just a note to those reading Caulkheader points about the tunnel visit at Bouzincourt.

To confirm, it is possible to get a tour through the Mayors office in Bouzincourt and as was written that's for 3 Euro  per person.

 

However, its very disjointed on getting through to Jean-Luc  and the Mayors office to make a booking.

They don't speak English in the office.

The Tour is only done in French, so if you don't speak French don't go direct you wont understand most of it.

They are NOT insured as I am, my public liability insurance as a registered tour guide covers you for any accidents, slips, trips and falls.

They don't have a detailed level of knowledge of the tunnels, sections,  items and graffitti, and will only point at certain aspects within the system.

The visit with the French is shorter than mine, but you still get the chance to have a decent viewing.

 

I charge a tenner a head, that's for me as your expert guide, pre visit brief usually at my house looking at genuine WW1 tunnelling equipment and an explanation of the estimated 55 miles of tunnels in the Somme area, pictures and research folder of the soldiers who names are on the walls, what was in each of the 26 accessible chambers (from British historical records) who is buried and commemorated locally, who survived etc, maps and history, The important characters who lived and worked in these tunnels like , General Rycroft graffiti, Canadian snipers (4) and lots of wonderful personal stories,  a proper safety brief and of course you are insured to visit with me.

Of the £10 per person I donate £3 to the excavation fund.

 

Please let me know if anyone wants a visit and I can make the arrangements for you, either with me or direct.

Thanks

Dave Platt

Well worth taking Dave down with you!

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mills-bomb
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:36, DAVE PLATT said:

Just a note to those reading Caulkheader points about the tunnel visit at Bouzincourt.

To confirm, it is possible to get a tour through the Mayors office in Bouzincourt and as was written that's for 3 Euro  per person.

 

However, its very disjointed on getting through to Jean-Luc  and the Mayors office to make a booking.

They don't speak English in the office.

 

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:36, DAVE PLATT said:

 

I charge a tenner a head, that's for me as your expert guide, pre visit brief usually at my house looking at genuine WW1 tunnelling equipment and an explanation of the estimated 55 miles of tunnels in the Somme area, pictures and research folder of the soldiers who names are on the walls, what was in each of the 26 accessible chambers (from British historical records) who is buried and commemorated locally, who survived etc, maps and history, The important characters who lived and worked in these tunnels like , General Rycroft graffiti, Canadian snipers (4) and lots of wonderful personal stories,  a proper safety brief and of course you are insured to visit with me.

Of the £10 per person I donate £3 to the excavation fund.

 

Please let me know if anyone wants a visit and I can make the arrangements for you, either with me or direct.

Thanks

Dave Platt

Actually its very simple contacting the mayors office;   mairie.bouzincourt011@orange.fr

 

 

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 14:42, Darruss said:

We have just returned from a battlefield tour, We dont generally use Tour guides prefering to do our own research, as we only have one fairly fluent french speaker we opted for Davids tour and i have to say  it was excellant. 15 Euros each for a very comprehensive tour and a wealth of information. i would reccomend David Platt to anybody thinking of doing this tunnel system..

 

D

15 Euros  =  £10,  really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darruss

i will let David answer your queery Mills Bomb as you seem to have an Agenda here, i will add it was worth every penny....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mills-bomb
22 minutes ago, Darruss said:

i will let David answer your queery Mills Bomb as you seem to have an Agenda here, i will add it was worth every penny....

Just stating facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harveyfletch

I've been down the tunnels with Dave , it's a great experience. Very informative and not rushed . I would recommend it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KIRKY

Its also about the whole experience with Dave, he has great knowledge of the area, is fun to spend time with and will always answer any questions you have about this area!

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVE PLATT

Yes its tough sometimes, I try to keep it to a tenner but depends on the group size, I have to earn a wage too as this is my full time job.

I always explain to the group leader that costs may vary a bit especially a home visit first to enrich those interested in tunnelling etc.

Thanks to all those that said its a quality visit and tour, value for money even at 15 Euro!

 

Hope that explains it.

 

Thanks

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sam88

Hi Dave 

 

are you available for a short tour this afternoon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EAST YORKSHIRE

Hello Sam, the only way now to have a tour of the Tunnels is to book direct through the mayor in Bouzincourt, Jean Luc is the man who gives the tour, well worth it as it is pretty "rustic" down there, Jean Luc speaks little English so gen up on your French!, If you struggle with booking-ring Thiepval visitor centre and an English speaking person there should be able to book it for you.  Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...