Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF1967

Turkish Shell Fuse.

Recommended Posts

GWF1967

Could anyone Id this fuse for me please, I believe it to be Turkish. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH

Turkish 75mm Fuze.

 

Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
7 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Turkish 75mm Fuze.

 

Mike.

Thanks Mike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shippingsteel

Yes a Turkish fuse. My records show that this one graduated from 2 - 54 is for the 75mm Shrapnel shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967

Thanks S.S. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan

I've just picked up a couple of what I think are 75 fuzes (they fit neatly on a 75 shrapnel shell case!), but they seem to be graduated from 2-46, 2-64 like the one here: http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/ImagesDecouvertes/collfus/77Turque1.jpg

Edited by trajan
Correcting number

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
On 12/03/2017 at 18:01, GWF1967 said:

Could anyone Id this fuse for me please, I believe it to be Turkish. 

 

On 12/03/2017 at 18:40, MikeyH said:

Turkish 75mm Fuze.

 

 

On 13/03/2017 at 09:05, shippingsteel said:

Yes a Turkish fuse. My records show that this one graduated from 2 - 54 is for the 75mm Shrapnel shell.

 

There is what looks to be a good web-site  - i.e., a well-informed and professional one - on Ottoman artillery at: https://ordnancesociety.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/wwi-ottoman-empire-artillery.pdf

 

This lists ranges for different types of artillery guns.

 

OK, so now the dumbo question... Is the figure / setting at the end of the bottom dial the same as the maximum range? 

 

In which case is the OP example - 'graduated from 2-54' - perhaps for a Schneider mountain gun? And my two example, graduated to 64, for a 10.5cm FH98/09? All help gratefully received on a topic on which I know SFA!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH

Julian,

Just spotted your post, normally the increments shown on the

time setting ring refer to seconds.  So enabling say a 

shrapnel shell to be set to burst in flight over the target.  My only Turkish

fuze has 17 increments from '0'.  So the possible contender on the very 

useful chart could be the 7.5cm L/16 M1914, with a m/sec figure of 280,

giving a range of 4,760 metres, which is an approximate 'fit'.

 When I picked this up, the vendor maintained that it was 'the

scarcest Turkish fuze'.  It has a base dia. of approx 69mm, and a height

of around 70mm, with four separate rings under the top cap which has a

Turkish marking.  

Mike.

 

Edited by MikeyH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GWF1967
On 17 April 2019 at 15:24, trajan said:

 

 

 

There is what looks to be a good web-site  - i.e., a well-informed and professional one - on Ottoman artillery at: https://ordnancesociety.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/wwi-ottoman-empire-artillery.pdf

 

 

Thanks for the link trajan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
2 hours ago, MikeyH said:

... normally the increments shown on the time setting ring refer to seconds.  So enabling say a  shrapnel shell to be set to burst in flight over the target.  My only Turkish fuze has 17 increments from '0'.  So the possible contender on the very  useful chart could be the 7.5cm L/16 M1914, with a m/sec figure of 280, giving a range of 4,760 metres, which is an aprroximate 'fit'. When I picked this up, the vender maintained that it was 'the scarcest Turkish fuze'.  It has a base dia. of approx 69mm, and a height of around 70mm, with four separate rings under the top cap which has a Turkish marking.  

 

Many thanks Mike! We live, we learn. I had assumed that fuzes were set for distances but clearly not. I must try to sort out the inscription on my two, which should b straightforward. Any chance of you post ing yours?

 

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks for the link trajan. 

 

It does seem a nice and useful one - happy to be of assistance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan

Thanks again Mike and GWF. So, anoher dumbo question... Is it only shrapnel shell fuzes that survive? I.e., are all other shell fuzes in the course of doing what they do, destroyed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH

Julian,

A combination of a polished domed surface and bright sunlight (hurrah!), make

it difficult to get a clear shot.  Hope you can make it out, I think the final two

figures on the top line are 1 and 2.

 

Mike.

SAM_2117.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH
14 minutes ago, trajan said:

Thanks again Mike and GWF. So, anoher dumbo question... Is it only shrapnel shell fuzes that survive? I.e., are all other shell fuzes in the course of doing what they do, destroyed? 

 

Shrapnel fuzes are the most common and are found in better condition generally.

Would think that the majority of shells fired were shrapnel.

 

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
9 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Julian,

A combination of a polished domed surface and bright sunlight (hurrah!), make

it difficult to get a clear shot.  Hope you can make it out, I think the final two

figures on the top line are 1 and 2.

 

Mike.

SAM_2117.JPG

 

That's a '12', so perhaps it is for the Krupp M.92 12cm Feldhaubitze? My two fuzes have a '75' in the same place.

 

I am guessing that the suffix 'ye' is at the end of the first line, and so something 'towards' or 'to' or 'with', while that looks to be a 'fe' at the start (right) of the second line. SS usually pops up when discussing Osmanli things and seems to have a good grasp of the script so perhaps he'll look in at some point - if only to correct me! Otherwise I'll try to get the Ottamists here to read the script... Let's see if adding a quote from him at the end does the trick...

 

On 13/03/2017 at 09:05, shippingsteel said:

Yes a Turkish fuse. My records show that this one graduated from 2 - 54 is for the 75mm Shrapnel shell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
11 hours ago, MikeyH said:

 

SAM_2117.JPG

 

I am thinking - but could be very wrong - the second line reads 'obus' = howitzer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan
7 hours ago, trajan said:

 

I am thinking - but could be very wrong - the second line reads 'obus' = howitzer...

 

I think I am wrong! could be that the top line reads 'Obus' - see https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/ww1-ottoman-enveriye-dolch-and-edged-weapon-manufacture/ 'Blade markings'....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...