Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Shell Fuse.

GWF1967

Could anyone Id this fuse for me please, I believe it to be Turkish. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Turkish 75mm Fuze.

Mike.

7 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Turkish 75mm Fuze.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. 

Yes a Turkish fuse. My records show that this one graduated from 2 - 54 is for the 75mm Shrapnel shell.

• 2 years later...

I've just picked up a couple of what I think are 75 fuzes (they fit neatly on a 75 shrapnel shell case!), but they seem to be graduated from 2-46, 2-64 like the one here: http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/ImagesDecouvertes/collfus/77Turque1.jpg

Edited by trajan
Correcting number

On 12/03/2017 at 18:01, GWF1967 said:

Could anyone Id this fuse for me please, I believe it to be Turkish. 

On 12/03/2017 at 18:40, MikeyH said:

Turkish 75mm Fuze.

On 13/03/2017 at 09:05, shippingsteel said:

Yes a Turkish fuse. My records show that this one graduated from 2 - 54 is for the 75mm Shrapnel shell.

There is what looks to be a good web-site  - i.e., a well-informed and professional one - on Ottoman artillery at: https://ordnancesociety.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/wwi-ottoman-empire-artillery.pdf

This lists ranges for different types of artillery guns.

OK, so now the dumbo question... Is the figure / setting at the end of the bottom dial the same as the maximum range? 

In which case is the OP example - 'graduated from 2-54' - perhaps for a Schneider mountain gun? And my two example, graduated to 64, for a 10.5cm FH98/09? All help gratefully received on a topic on which I know SFA!

Julian,

Just spotted your post, normally the increments shown on the

time setting ring refer to seconds.  So enabling say a 

shrapnel shell to be set to burst in flight over the target.  My only Turkish

fuze has 17 increments from '0'.  So the possible contender on the very 

useful chart could be the 7.5cm L/16 M1914, with a m/sec figure of 280,

giving a range of 4,760 metres, which is an approximate 'fit'.

When I picked this up, the vendor maintained that it was 'the

scarcest Turkish fuze'.  It has a base dia. of approx 69mm, and a height

of around 70mm, with four separate rings under the top cap which has a

Turkish marking.  

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

On 17 April 2019 at 15:24, trajan said:

There is what looks to be a good web-site  - i.e., a well-informed and professional one - on Ottoman artillery at: https://ordnancesociety.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/wwi-ottoman-empire-artillery.pdf

Thanks for the link trajan. 

2 hours ago, MikeyH said:

... normally the increments shown on the time setting ring refer to seconds.  So enabling say a  shrapnel shell to be set to burst in flight over the target.  My only Turkish fuze has 17 increments from '0'.  So the possible contender on the very  useful chart could be the 7.5cm L/16 M1914, with a m/sec figure of 280, giving a range of 4,760 metres, which is an aprroximate 'fit'. When I picked this up, the vender maintained that it was 'the scarcest Turkish fuze'.  It has a base dia. of approx 69mm, and a height of around 70mm, with four separate rings under the top cap which has a Turkish marking.  

Many thanks Mike! We live, we learn. I had assumed that fuzes were set for distances but clearly not. I must try to sort out the inscription on my two, which should b straightforward. Any chance of you post ing yours?

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks for the link trajan. 

It does seem a nice and useful one - happy to be of assistance!

Thanks again Mike and GWF. So, anoher dumbo question... Is it only shrapnel shell fuzes that survive? I.e., are all other shell fuzes in the course of doing what they do, destroyed? 

Julian,

A combination of a polished domed surface and bright sunlight (hurrah!), make

it difficult to get a clear shot.  Hope you can make it out, I think the final two

figures on the top line are 1 and 2.

Mike.

SAM_2117.JPG

14 minutes ago, trajan said:

Thanks again Mike and GWF. So, anoher dumbo question... Is it only shrapnel shell fuzes that survive? I.e., are all other shell fuzes in the course of doing what they do, destroyed? 

Shrapnel fuzes are the most common and are found in better condition generally.

Would think that the majority of shells fired were shrapnel.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

9 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Julian,

A combination of a polished domed surface and bright sunlight (hurrah!), make

it difficult to get a clear shot.  Hope you can make it out, I think the final two

figures on the top line are 1 and 2.

Mike.

SAM_2117.JPG

That's a '12', so perhaps it is for the Krupp M.92 12cm Feldhaubitze? My two fuzes have a '75' in the same place.

I am guessing that the suffix 'ye' is at the end of the first line, and so something 'towards' or 'to' or 'with', while that looks to be a 'fe' at the start (right) of the second line. SS usually pops up when discussing Osmanli things and seems to have a good grasp of the script so perhaps he'll look in at some point - if only to correct me! Otherwise I'll try to get the Ottamists here to read the script... Let's see if adding a quote from him at the end does the trick...

On 13/03/2017 at 09:05, shippingsteel said:

11 hours ago, MikeyH said:

SAM_2117.JPG

I am thinking - but could be very wrong - the second line reads 'obus' = howitzer...

7 hours ago, trajan said:

I am thinking - but could be very wrong - the second line reads 'obus' = howitzer...

I think I am wrong! could be that the top line reads 'Obus' - see https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/ww1-ottoman-enveriye-dolch-and-edged-weapon-manufacture/ 'Blade markings'....

On 19/04/2019 at 20:31, trajan said:

Shrapnel fuzes were designed to be secured with shallow threads to be easily blown out of the mouth of the shell, the idea being to preserve the shell body to funnel the shrapnel balls rather than have it ruptured by an obstinate fuze and have the blast dispersed sideways. Having been designed to be ejected virtually intact, and only sitting on a relatively small charge they survive pretty well. Fuzes for HE shells survive intact often enough but are often distorted, the base either being expanded by the pressure or the threads stripped as the fuze is pushed out of the shell body.

On 19/04/2019 at 22:38, MikeyH said:

... Shrapnel fuzes are the most common and are found in better condition generally. Would think that the majority of shells fired were shrapnel.

6 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

Shrapnel fuzes were designed to be secured with shallow threads to be easily blown out of the mouth of the shell, the idea being to preserve the shell body to funnel the shrapnel balls rather than have it ruptured by an obstinate fuze and have the blast dispersed sideways. Having been designed to be ejected virtually intact, and only sitting on a relatively small charge they survive pretty well. Fuzes for HE shells survive intact often enough but are often distorted, the base either being expanded by the pressure or the threads stripped as the fuze is pushed out of the shell body.

Thanks for the enlightenment, both. It just struck me also that I guess the position / range of an artillery piece firing a shrapnel shell could be calculated from the fuze setting - hence the usefulness of documents such as Notes on German Shells and Notes on German Fuzes - see https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/271574-1918-notes-on-german-shells-and-notes-on-german-fuzes/ which give range indications.

Edited by trajan

On 19/04/2019 at 22:05, MikeyH said:

My only Turkish fuze has 17 increments from '0'. When I picked this up, the vendor maintained that it was 'the scarcest Turkish fuze'. It has a base dia. of approx 69mm, and a height of around 70mm, with four separate rings under the top cap which has a Turkish marking.

From the inscription on the top, this fuze is for the 12cm Obus (Howitzer) and was locally produced at the Tophane Foundry.

Edited by shippingsteel

1 hour ago, shippingsteel said:

From the inscription on the top, this fuze is for the 12cm Obus (Howitzer) and was locally produced at the Tophane Foundry.

Many thanks SS! I had thought Tophane but I hadn't chased it up... So it is for the Krupp M.92 12cm Feldhaubitze as in my post above no.14? 

Trajan

4 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

Thanks ss, there is a tiny Turkish inspectors mark to the base of the fuze.

Mike.