Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F. Goodman KOYLI

Jim Mitchell

Hi All, I am looking for as much info I can get on my Great Grandfathers war service. He was invalided out of the army in 1916 due to illness. He was Private Frederick (Fred) Arthur Goodman.

2743 5th KOYLI. I found his MIC and his SWB on the relevant lists.  On  the SWB Roll he was listed as FRED GOODKISS  (should have gone to Specsavers). I would appreciate any help regarding his service in the army and whether he served prior to WW1. I would ideally like his service record which gives his address and family members names if possible. thank you in anticipation. Regards. Jim

Edited by Jim Mitchell

Not seeing any service or pension type records but his date of entry and general pre-1917 foreign service suggests he was 1/5th KOYLI who arrived in France April 1915 so he must have been in a later draft of 1/5th.

Edited later; his medal roll does state 1/5th KOYLI.

The diary for the 1/5th doesn't mention arrivals of new drafts and nothing obvious working backwards from the date of his discharge. So, I think the best you can do is to track the movements of the battalion 19/8/1915 - 25/8/1916 from the diary, available from TNA for £3.45

TEW

Thank you very much for that Tew. I will do as you suggested. Regards.

• 2 years later...

Just wondering if there was any connection; my grandfather was also Frederick Goodman.

I have some detail, but lack confirmation of some family history.

He was in KOYLI in the 1st World War, but apparently came home suffering from 'shell shock'.

Came originally from London, came to live in Sheffield/Doncaster after getting married

Roy Goodman

Hello Roy, it appears this is the same Frederick Goodman, Do you have a correct date of birth for him. My sister and I have been researching him for years. He was my great Grandfather, His daughter Kathleen was my Grandmother. We have some research, He joined up on the 6th October 1914 and was discharged on 25th August 1916 due to sickness. His pension papers gave his address on discharge as Silver Street Stainforth. Could you please let me know any accurate information you have on Frederick and if possible any copy of photo`s you may have. I vaguely recollect a large photograph of him on the wall at my Great Grandmothers house of him in uniform. Regards Jim.

• Admin

Jim I have removed your email address from public view, it's not a great idea to post it so everyone can see. You can send a private message to Roy.

Michelle 

Thank you Michelle wasn`t thinking (jet lag) Regards Jim.

Did a search on ancestry for your grandmother Kathleen and found a 1911 census return for Silver St. The family as follows

Fred Goodman 32

Sarah Ann Goodman 32

Cyril Goodman 8

Arthur Goodman 6

Alan Goodman 5

Percy Goodman 3

Kathleen Goodman 1

Correct family?

So if so,  you looking for someone born late 1870s. It shows him as a House Decorator born in Notting Hill, London. All the rest are Stainforth born

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911England&indiv=try&h=32754300

This leads to a 1901 census return

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=7814&h=27617535&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=2352

One assumes Doris may have died.

Struggling to find Fred before that.

I do find a burial for a 53 year old Fred Arthur Goodman in Wadsley, Sheffield on 31/10/1931. HIs address: "The Mental Hospital". Could be him? Does that ring a bell? This is a parish record on fmp. 

This appears to be the relevant death reg.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7579/ons_d19314az-0341?pid=31605207&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D7579%26h%3D31605207%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DJsm3966%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Jsm3966&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

The census records seems to fit in with Roy's relative as well. 

There is a possible marriage for him in 1899, Sheffield to a Sarah Ann Reed

Edited by Mark1959

Thank you mark that`s most helpful. Regards. Jim

• 3 months later...

I had gone into the loft to get the family history records. This was to provide Julie with information as I had suggested the use of a genealogist as a 60th Birthday prezzy (coming soon!) for me if we couldn't get the info ourselves the second time round.

We did quite a bit using Ancestry.com, sending for BMD certificates, even visiting the record office in London and Stainforth cemetery.

We did a bit of detective work for both for myself and for my wife, and using the same methods went back several generations without any real legwork.

We came to two 'dead ends', finding her paternal grandmother was actually adopted, and of course Frederick, not quite being able to trace him specifically from what we knew. When Ancestry starting becoming relatively expensive we simultaneously lost the same enthusiasm.

Finding a painter and decorator in Notting Hill was the key piece of information we were looking for

So several years later........pardon me if this is repetition of something you or Sheila already know/have, there may be snippets that are new. I am scanning back to see what I may have already said before

• His occupation fits in with something I was told when I did some Promo posters for a church. 'I took after him' as he apparently did the name signs painted above shops. At that time you still saw some old ones for butchers, etc
  • I looked in the trade magazines from the London area, but found no reference for a painter and decorator. That was in the London Records office, not online
  • Another item on my present list is a DNA test - one that geographically locates where your genes come from. That interestingly could answer the Indian question
  • I have a bit of the family tree for Sarah Ann Reed. Scanned and attached that
  • I never had Kathleen on my family tree - but there again it doesn't have all the information on it anyway. Assuming this copy was the latest. Check out the date! I tended to only add people when I had their birthdates etc. Need to add a new program to update it

I have the following certificates that are relevant to Fred.

Plus more for other members, and copies of the census entries

1. William's Birth
  2. Fred and Sarah Ann's marriage
  3. Sarah Ann's death. She is buried in Stainforth cemetery, but there is no headstone on the plot
  4. Sarah Ann's Birth
  5. James Reed's Birth
  6. Ruth Crawshaw's Birth
  7. William Reed & Sarah Schofield's marriage
  8. Daniel Crawshaw & Anne Duckitt's marriage

Sending a copy of all this to Sheila hopefully, if she has the same email address.

The extra info and digging up all this again and given me further interest. Think I may add a subscription to Ancestry to my prezzy list too.

How many presents does Roy want? Well it is my 60th, and last year all I go was a bar of chocolate (honestly - there  was a very serious close family illness that took up our attention)

Roy

Family Tree - Frederick Goodman .pdf