Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry RAMC War Diaries

hazelclark

I have been finding all kinds of personal diaries/ accounts of actions mixed in with the official War Diaries, and some of them are very interesting.  I am currently reading an account of the Retreat from MONS, including the Advance to the MARNE and the Battle of the AISNE, which is in the middle of the 3rd Div. 8th Field Ambulance War Diary.  It is Piece 1407/1 8th F.A. (1914-1919 May. Starting around page 371.  It is an account by Lt. H. Robinson and is fairly long.  Anyone with an interest in Medical Services who has not read it, would find it of interest.

Hazel C.

Hazel

Thanks for the information. I hadn't seen that unit Diary a few years ago when I was doing a few of the early Divisions who first landed in Aug 1914 but had noticed a good sprinkling of such accounts in some of the Infantry/Artillery Diaries, somewhere in my notes I have a few instances. These certainly bring the situations alive !

Edited by sotonmate

5 hours ago, sotonmate said:

Hazel

Thanks for the information. I hadn't seen that unit Diary a few years ago when I was doing a few of the early Divisions who first landed in Aug 1914 but had noticed a good sprinkling of such accounts in some of the Infantry/Artillery Diaries, somewhere in my notes I have a few instances. These certainly bring the situations alive !

It occurred to me that maybe I should start posting such interesting snippits. Going through the Diaries can be tedious, so many people may miss these accounts if they don't know they are there.  Like you,I have found a few of them.

Hazel C.

Hazel

Good idea. It occurred to me in the same way when I read your post earlier.

Edited by sotonmate