Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Air Defence of Britain 1914-1918 by Cole and Cheeseman

greg100

Afternoon all,

I have just taken delivery of the above book - what a peachy tome!!

On page 100 is a photo of a crashed B.E.2e.  It is uncredited, which makes me suspect it came from the private collection of one of the authors, both of whom served in WW2 which makes me suspect they may no longer be with us.  I'm very keen to try and get a decent copy of that photograph - have any readers ever seen it before, and suggest where I may be able to get a copy?

Many thanks and best wishes as always,

Greg

1 hour ago, greg100 said:

Afternoon all,

I have just taken delivery of the above book - what a peachy tome!!

On page 100 is a photo of a crashed B.E.2e.  It is uncredited, which makes me suspect it came from the private collection of one of the authors, both of whom served in WW2 which makes me suspect they may no longer be with us.  I'm very keen to try and get a decent copy of that photograph - have any readers ever seen it before, and suggest where I may be able to get a copy?

Many thanks and best wishes as always,

Greg

Hi

This photo of a crashed 50 Squadron BE.2e, appears quite often.  Les Rogers has it in 'British Aviation Squadron Markings of World War 1' page 104.  Also in Windsock Datafile 14 'RAF BE2e' by Jack Bruce, page 27, and Windsock Centenary Datafile 165 'The RAF BE2E at War' by Paul Hare, page 26.  Both the latter publications credit it to 'Mrs A J Arkell'.  As Jack Bruce is involved I would suggest contacting the RAF Museum to check if it is now part of the Jack Bruce collection.

I hope that is of use.

Mike

Edited by MikeMeech

That's great Mike, many thanks indeed for the steer :)

L/O

Greg

All the photos of the Bruce/Leslie collection are now held by Cross&Cockade and the Fleet Air arm Museum at Yeovil. Somerset 

1 hour ago, alex revell said:

All the photos of the Bruce/Leslie collection are now held by Cross&Cockade and the Fleet Air arm Museum at Yeovil. Somerset 

Hi

The FAA Museum has Stuart Leslie's copy of the collection.  The RAF Museum has Jack Bruce's, (Reference X003-2602), I know this because I actually done some work 'accessioning' it.

Mike

Mike and Alex,

Thanks for the further info and clarification :)

L/O

Greg

Hello from a newish member.  I'm working on a personal project, flying-wise and this forum has been very useful so far.  Thank you, all.

Just a quick question.  I picked up this book from the library today, having found a copy somewhere else in the library system.  Deep joy, methought, here be a definitive volume that will augment everything else found.  I am disappointed by the index, though.  My first few forays, using the airfields index, yielded nothing at all on the given pages.  Have others been frustrated by this, or have I just been very unlucky?

Edited by ChampChump
Clarity.

5 hours ago, ChampChump said:

Hello from a newish member.  I'm working on a personal project, flying-wise and this forum has been very useful so far.  Thank you, all.

Just a quick question.  I picked up this book from the library today, having found a copy somewhere else in the library system.  Deep joy, methought, here be a definitive volume that will augment everything else found.  I am disappointed by the index, though.  My first few forays, using the airfields index, yielded nothing at all on the given pages.  Have others been frustrated by this, or have I just been very unlucky?

I have a copy of the first (1984) edition of the Cole and Cheesman book and the aerodrome index works fine for me.(I don't think there was a later edition.)

Errol

I also have the 1984 edition and the index seems fine. Sometimes a mention in the index is a reference to where an aircraft took off from, given in the list in the first section of the account of the raid and does not get feature in the body of the raid information.

Thank you the responses; I agree there is probably only the 1984 edition.   I think my first three attempts were simply unlucky.  I realise the reference might only be a fleeting one, but meticulous re-reading yielded nothing.  

I shall return to more important fretting now.  

I've not used the index much (yet), but when I have, I've not had any issues.  When I bought the book I looked up Major Christie, and he appeared on every page that the index mentioned.  Similarly with Harling Road aerodrome.  

Enjoy the book though, it's an absoute corker :) Do you mind me asking what your project is?

L/O

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I got busy with the book (and others) and have only just picked this up.  I've used it a great deal and I agree that since the first glitches, the index worked well.

The project is a personal entry into the Dawn To Dusk Challenge, which entails flying at least eight hours on a mission of ones choice.  Mine is the defences against the aerial attacks of WW1 on the east coast - Lydd to Berwick on Tweed.  At the speed of my aeroplane (1946 vintage) I will use all of that locating and - I hope - getting photographs of the 100 sites now on my list.  I should add I'm concentrating on airfields and bases, wireless stations and AA batteries, not each and every pillbox.  

• 2 years later...

If anyone is looking for a cheap copy of this book, one has just been listed to buy on e-bay for £2 + £3 p&p ( no book condition mentioned )

...Book now sold .

Edited by Black Maria