Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Cresswell Hodge - Essex Regiment

suesalter1

I've been trying to make sense of one of great-uncle's service records. He seems to have been in and out of various CCS's before he finally got wounded in April 1918 and sent home to England. I thought the whole point of CCS's was to clear sick and wounded men either back to the front or transferring them to other facilities for treatment. He seems to have been there for days at a time. Can anyone help decipher the army terms on his record please?

Sue.

pension record.png

Sue

Thre lines down "PUO" refers to Pyrexia of unknown origin,viz an elevated temperature (fever) for which no explanation has been found. So if he got no worse, and they had space, he stayed and they watched !

Thanks for this! Uncle George was never a well man and died in 1934 aged 52. His war was finished when he got hit by shrapnel which broke his shoulder blade. Spent the last months of 1918 in hospital in Glasgow.

Thanks once again,

Sue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoped that others might be more wise on some more of the abbreviations !

I will try from the top :

OC 15 Infantry Base Depot (IBD) Posted to 9th ? Battalion. 14.7.1916

OC Battalion  To Battalion for duty. 15.7.1916

Oct 1916 to 19 Casualty Clearing Station (CCS). Admitted PUO

(till 31 Jan 1917 when moved to)

2/1 Northumberland CCS until 21 Mar 1917 when returned to duty.

6 Jun 1917 to 62 CCS admitted with cardiac (looks like by) 16 Ambulance Train

13 Jun 1917 to 15 IBD Joined from (?) Convalescent Depot

• Admin

Although he may well have been under observation, the CCS retained detachments of fifty rank and file who were unfit for front line duty who could be used for general duties around the CCS e.g. Unloading casualties from ambulances, loading stretchers onto ambulance trains etc. 

Speculative but may explain why he was there so long.

Ken

Thanks for the replies on my great-uncle's extended stints at various CCS's. Makes a bit more sense. Not sure what '15 IBD' means though? He did die of a heart condition aged 53, so the 'cardiac' reference ties in too. So most useful information.

Sue

No 15 Infantry Base Depot was based at Etaples, and possibly later Calais, according to the Long Long Trail list here.

If you want to know about them go to Long Long Trail and search on the name, there is a page of facts. Purpose generally to process reinforcements for losses and some training time for new troops bound for the Front.