Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt. HH Barley in the Balkans?

bcarleton

I've been trying to research the history of Harold Humphrey Barley (my great uncle) who served in the Army Pay Corps having attested in 10 Aug 1914. The only record seeming to remain is his medal index card (pictured) which contains his service number and also states he received  the Star and served in the Balkans arriving in theater 5 May 1915..

My confusion is that I read on the 'Trail' that the first British forces did not arrive until Nov. 1920.

I would like to have a better idea of what unit he served in but since I can find no military records naming him anywhere or dates that match his medal record card I'm stumped.

Would appreciate any insight if anyone can help.

1915 HHB medal card.JPG

• Admin

2(b) Balkans = Gallipoli

No expert on the Pay Corps but I believe they were organised at Divisional level. Each Division had a Paymaster and associated staff. 

The Medal Rolls for the BWM and VM give his rank as Staff Sergeant, so that was the 'highest rank attained in a theatre of war.'

His discharge documents are on Find My Past ( and presumably Ancestry).  Headlines are:-

he enlisted on the 10 August 1914 and was appointed Clerk to Field Cashier East Lancashire Division on 6th May 1915

see http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/42nd-east-lancashire-division/

He remained in Gallipoli at Divisional HQ. Not sure when he leaves the Dardanelles but the next entry shows him in Alexandria on 15 October 1915.

He remained in Egypt for the rest of the war leaving on 26 July 1919 on Princess Juliana.

He was demobilised at Crystal Palace Dispersal Centre 9 August 1919.

There are more details of his service in Egypt in the records.

Ken 

• Admin

I can't find his service record on Ancestry however in the Army Lists in the mysterious 'Fold 3', to which I don't have access he is shown in WW2 as a Paymaster (a commissioned role) and Lieutenant RAPC.

His record shows he served overseas (EEF) from his embarkation date on 20 March 1915 so he must have entered Egypt before the date given on the mic.

All the men bar one on his page of the Rolls have theatre code '3' which is Egypt.  As he had to apply for his 14-15 Star there may have been some confusion over his posting as he did not go overseas with the main body of the Division.  

He was due to go back to England for officer training and was waiting at the port of Kantara on the 2/11/1918 when the Armistice was declared and he was called back to Cairo.

Ken

Ken, Mark and Chris thank you! You have given me some great leads.