Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aircraft recovery bullock and cart stye?

Stuart Brown

A genuine recovery or a staged picture in view of the struts beneath the aeroplane.

This is a temporary image.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Stuart,

Have you never flown Air India :lol:

The aeroplane, I think, is a Voisin Type 6 (?)

Any offers?

Ian :)

The aircraft looks like a Voisin LA.S

They were used in Mespot by the Composite RNAS/RFC Flight at Ora as part of Tiger Corps and also by 30 Sqn, RFC.

The struts below the forward fuselage are part of the original design. There were two further wheels forward of these which are missing (or are they stuffed in the cockpit?). Hence the cart replacing them!

One Voisin was lost en route to Ora, one crash landed & bogged down on 08.02.16 and one (serial 8523) was shot down on 05.03.16 with two crew killed. One other was discarded due to poor performance.

Although the patent front undercarriage does suggest that this cripple was photographed further east, the same sort of aircraft was also used at Gallipoli. Five Voisin LA.Ss "served variously with 3 and then 2 Wing RNAS at Imbros from summer 1915 until early 1916." See 'Royal Naval Air Service 1912-1918' by Brad King for two pictures of the complete article; 8501 & 8503 both on the ground and another in flight (page 60). 8501 was written-off in early 1916 and 8503 made a forced landing on a salt lake on 17 Jan 1916.

Sorry my technical rank does not allow me to post pics yet and my instructor (son) is not here at the moment- I must get back to training camp some time.

Regards

Michael D.R.