Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

There was  a post  recently on the Victorian Wars Forum about the  RAMC related items called the "Royal Army Medical Corps Muniments Collection" some of which have been digitised by the Wellcome Library.

The digital items cover various period, including WW1

http://wellcomelibrary.org/item/b19255251

Includes

RAMC/1881 'The Army Medical Services of the Territorial Force, 1908-1919, as recorded in 1912' (with unit members and titles, 1914, added), by Warrant Officer R.L. Barrett-Cross of 221 (Surrey) Field Ambulance, RAMC (Volunteers)

http://wellcomelibrary.org/item/b1843244x#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=1&z=0.3305%2C0.1159%2C0.5306%2C0.3333

Other digitised items noticed in the catalogue

RAMC/383
Privately printed edition of the diary, 12 Aug-25 Oct 1914, of Hugh John Sladen Shields, Medical Officer of the Irish Guards, killed in action on the Western Front on 26th Oct 1914

RAMC/556
Album of photographs, cartoons and autographs from Brookshill Convalescent Hospital for Officers, Harrow Weald

RAMC/566
A preliminary report on malarial conditions in Syria, Palestine and the adjoining provinces. April, May and June 1919, by Lieutenant P.S. Lelean, RAMC

RAMC/661
'Dick Whittington, A Pantomime' written and produced by members of the 85th Field Ambulance (3rd London), as performed in Salonika on Christmas Night, 1915

RAMC/699
Typescript 'The War diary of:- 19464 Corporal C. Chamberlain and the 9th Field Ambulance, 1914'

RAMC/720
Album of photographs of the King George V Military Hospital, Stamford Street, London, First World War

There are many more, as the digitised items extend to

RAMC/2034
The history of 19th Company, RAMC, during the war, compiled by Major S.T. Beggs

RAMC/2081
Album of photographs of Lieutenant Colonel H. T. Minden Wilson, RAMC, mainly of No. 6 Casualty Clearing Station groups and recreation activities

RAMC/2082
Album of photographs of service (on hospital ships?) in Iraq, First World War

RAMC/2084
Album of photographs (of Captain St. Clair Hamilton), mainly of the Indian Medical Service Hospital Ship Guildford Castle, working between Boulogne, France, and the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, Hampshire, in 1914

Cheers

Maureen

Edit: Click on the coloured text above for underlying links.

Edited by Maureene

Maureen

The Wellcome is a bit naughty in digitising these files and putting on the web. The originals were returned to the museum just as I left and they were put on the web without my knowledge.

I retrieved all the First World War files and there are some amazing documents and diaries amongst them.

Pete

Cracking stuff Maureen,

The photos of 6 CCS at play are fantastic. Pretend horse races, jousting, slippery poles all with an audience who are loving it. Shows a different side.

The one I like the best is the blindfold 'feeding each other' competition, looks like carnage.

Not sure what dates the photos are or locations but some showing a siding and some very clear shots of staff and Nurses.

TEW

• 2 years later...
On 03/03/2017 at 05:51, petestarling said:

Maureen

The Wellcome is a bit naughty in digitising these files and putting on the web. The originals were returned to the museum just as I left and they were put on the web without my knowledge.

I retrieved all the First World War files and there are some amazing documents and diaries amongst them.

Pete

I'm researching the work of 6CCS (my grandfather, Col. HH Norman was its CO from April 1915 to Oct 1917), and I have previously viewed this very interesting and important album of photos online, but now I don't seem to be able to access through Wellcome anymore. Do you know why this might be, or if there is another digital copy available? Thanks.

I found the following through the catalogue Search. Is one of these what you are referring to?

Draft of history of No. 6 Casualty Clearing Station on the Western Front in the First World War

https://wellcomelibrary.org/item/b19159146

RAMC/1667

Album of photographs of Lieutenant Colonel H. T. Minden Wilson, RAMC, mainly of No. 6 Casualty Clearing Station groups and recreation activities

https://wellcomelibrary.org/item/b19604166

RAMC/2081

If not, use the Search on the Wellcome Library website https://wellcomelibrary.org

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks - much appreciated! The Wellcome website wasn't working properl at the weekend, but things seem normal again now.