Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Marriott, Lincs Regt?

bobpike

On Swineshead War Memorial, Lincs is listed one, Arthur Marriott, but it has been difficult to definitely identify him, can anyone help, please?

What we know from the Lincolnshire Standard of 16.10.1915 is that he was the third son of Mr. & Mrs. T Marriott and enlisted in April 1915. He was employed by a Mr. Dance of Black Jack Farm, Swineshead & is reported to have transferred to France three months later.

His two brothers were Robert, who enlisted in the 9th. Lincs in Jan 1915 & later was killed & John George who also enlisted in the same battalion at the same date. It is inferred that Arthur joined the same battalion as his brothers had done, but this cannot be positively said.

Could this be your man?

MARRIOTT, ARTHUR

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1916

Service No: 13689

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 1 C.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Dave

Kath, thank-you for that, it was certainly the case in brother Robert's case, as he joined the 1st. Cameronians No. 203322 (Scottish Rifle) & was ex 15107 Lincs Regt & was killed on 21.9.1918. He was born & resided in Swineshead, enlisted Bourne, but CWGC gives his parents' address (Thomas & Annie) as Cowbitt, Lincs.

Dave,

Thank-you, but it isn't I'm pretty sure. I've looked at him at the PRO & he doesn't 'fit,' also SDGW says he came from Sturton-by-Stow which is the other side of Gainsborough, a fair way from Swineshead.

Thank-you for your trouble anyway,

Bob

Bob,

I would consider Pte Arthur Marriot, 15934, Lincs Regt.

His MIC can be ordered here:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=5

Can't find a record of his death, but his service number would correspond to a April 1915 entrant to the Lincs.

Wonder whether he died after the war and wasn't considered a war casualty by the authorities-but the locals thought differently.

Good luck,

Jim

Bob:

As far as I could find from the 1901-could this be him and his family?

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Annie Marriott 45 Cowbit, Lincolnshire, England Wife Crowland Northamptonshire

Arthur Marriott 4 Cowbit, Lincolnshire, England Son Crowland Northamptonshire

Ernest Marriott 7 Cowbit, Lincolnshire, England Son Crowland Northamptonshire

Florence Marriott 11 Cowbit, Lincolnshire, England Daughter Crowland Northamptonshire

John Marriott 13 Cowbit, Lincolnshire, England Son Crowland Northamptonshire

Robert Marriott 17 Cowbit, Lincolnshire, England Son Crowland Northamptonshire

Thomas Marriott 47 Crowland, Lincolnshire, England Head Crowland Northamptonshire

Jim & Gordon,

Many thanks. This Marriott is well-worth following up, although the lack of death is a worry, as I know he isn't buried in Swineshead. I'll keep you onformed.

The Census is the right family & confirms the three sons.

Bob:

Glad I could help out-keep us informed.

gordon

Bob,

I'm trying to do a similar thing for the names on Stamford's war memorials. I'm finding more and more men who aren't commemorated by CWGC or SD who died as a result of their war service, after their discharge, tracking down their resting places can be a little tricky.

Jim

Jim,

You're so right, when I did Saffron Walden (159 men), I found one who had been missed by CWGC & his name was added to Pozieres Memorial & one in our local cemetery with an unmarked grave who had died in 1919 from the effects of gas. Fortunately, CWGC agreed to a headstone which he now has, but certainly those who died at home and/orafter the war are often immensely difficult to track down.

Hang in there, though, Jim.