Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MID RAMC Temporary Captain Hamilton

oxlade134

Harold Parrish Hamilton born 1889 in Uxbrdige Ontario has a Canadian service record that shows he transferred to the RAMC in 1915 , I cant find his service history with the RAMC at NA but do have a Medal record that shows he was awarded a MID Gazetted 6th December 1916 . Can anyone please shed any light on this and his career with the RAMC from 1915-1918

Hamilton H P MID 30850_A001826-03901.jpg

Yes I do have these records thanks  , Im really trying to find out where he served in both wars especially in regard to the fact he rose to a Colonel in the RCAMC. I feel given his prominence more must have been written about him outside of the WW1 and WW2 service records.

Unfortunately the records of temporary RAMC officers don't seem to have survived.  There should be London Gazette entries for his commission and each subsequent promotion and the relinquishment of the commission.  Typically the first commission will be under his full names, promotions etc would just be under initials and surname (make sure you include a full stop with each initial when you search ie H. P. Hamilton).

Some of the name data extracted from war diaries as part of the tagging being carried out in Operation War Diary is available for searching, see https://talk.operationwardiary.org/#/boards/BWD000000l/discussions/DWD0001559 for more info.  You may be lucky and find some hints there.

Thanks David for the link, Harold Hamilton was eventually to become a Colonel in the RCAMC and  awarded the OBE for his services, so his records may sit in the Canadian WW2 archives, I visit Canada each year so will attempt to get them when there.

I have all the RAMC First World War MC's recorded but there is no reference to a source of a citation on my database. The BMJ and Lancet published quite a lot of them but not his