Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of PoW Camp in Germany

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I have been following up documents concerning my grandfather, Arthur Harold James Lincoln, which are in the individual file of an officer who was killed when my grandfather was taken prisoner. My grandfather writes (via his mother) from a PoW Camp to let the family of the officer (Second Lieutenant Harry Dale) know that their son (who is posted as missing) has been killed.

My grandfather's address is described as "Kriegsgegangenlager, Stuttgart and Wurttenberg, Germany". Is it possible to tell from this where he was being held prisoner? I know that later he was held at Giessen, but this is not in Wurtemburg, so I assume that he must first have been held elsewhere, particularly being in mind that he was wounded when taken prisoner.

Simon Bull

Stuttgart was one of the principle POW camps in Wurttemburg.Prisoners here were also kept in other locations throughout the city.

It was another of the camps that the french called "paratonnerres" (or "lightening-conductors"),built in an attempt to ward off allied bombing raids. The Frankfurter Zeitung newspaper even stated on Dec.31st 1917 that prisoners were kept in various parts of Stuttgart "in order that they might share with the population the dangers of air attack".

Dave.

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks Dave, for the interesting information - I had assumed the reference to Stuttgart to be to an area rather than to Stuttgart itself. Shows that one should not jump to conclusions.

Simon