Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

cathyaus

Photo request for St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France

cathyaus

Hello

I am looking for a photo of the headstone of Private Fred Ward 1953A, 4th Australian Pioneers, who died 2nd February, 1917 & was buried in  St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France – Plot number O. IV. L.11.

Thank you

Cathy

BillyH

This has already been explained here, on posts 56 + 57:

BillyH.

mva

Should I ask in 'my' French forum if somebody lives in/near Rouen & could take the pic ?

Roger H

Try asking member stseverwalker (Bertrand) he may already have the photo and his "about me" says he offers to take photos.  He kindly did a few for me in that cemetery some years ago.

Roger

cathyaus

Thanks Roger - I have messaged  stseverwalker

I also found another photo I need for that Cemetery (just in case someone else has photos)..

Gunner Alexander Morgan 5658, Australian Field Artillery, Died 17th December, 1916 -  buried in St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France – Plot number O. III. L. 6

Thank you

Cathy

mva

stseverwalker's   last visit here in the forum : 16 July , 2014

temptage

Yes I last had contact with Bertrand around that time. Up until then he was always willing to help, but I even emailed him after that date and never received a reply. He was/is a published author writing under the name Paul Le Trévier.

cathyaus

Just a general question - should I be getting email alerts that people have replied to this thread - or doesn't this forum work like this ??

Thanks

Cathy

cathyaus

mva - thank you - have sent a message via the Facebook link

Cathy

cathyaus

I have had contact with   stseverwalker - thank you for the suggestion RogerH :)

burlington

You can, of course, get a copy of a photo of the gravemarker at https://www.twgpp.org/photograph/view/3388481 , as indeed you can get a copy of  the gravemarker of any other WW1/WW2 casualty.

cathyaus

Thanks Burlington but with the number of soldiers I am researching - this is not an option.

Marilyne

Cathy, don't know if your request is still valid, but I might stop at St Sever cemetery in rouen end of the month for my Women project.

I can look at the two graves if you want.

M.

temptage
2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Cathy, don't know if your request is still valid, but I might stop at St Sever cemetery in rouen end of the month for my Women project.

I can look at the two graves if you want.

M.

Marilyne, the only time I 'did' St Sever, I ended up with just over 230 requests. Fortunately my sister was with me, and with good planning and a detailed map accrued from the CWGC, we knocked them all off in a little over 2.5 hours. I had expected to be there all day.

If you are going, could I add two names that I need in the Extension please?

O. III. D. 3 - Henson, Walter Bilton - King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Q. IV. G. 26 - Green, Fred - RGA

I am also in France and Belgium at the end of next month (27th-30th) but I will be busy in Belgium and the northernmost part of France. I will be making an offer in a couple of weeks. Keep your eyes peeled. (I will be doing Etaples if you want/need any of the women there)

Marilyne
14 hours ago, temptage said:

O. III. D. 3 - Henson, Walter Bilton - King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Q. IV. G. 26 - Green, Fred - RGA

No prob!

I've got 14 ladies in both cemeteries to look for... and we're 7 in the van bringing us down, so the guys can help out a bit...

M.