Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BridgetM

Being of mixed British and Irish heritage, I follow some Irish sources, including the Irish Times, where I came across this article by Hedley Malloch, who I believe is a member here. 

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-story-of-the-irishmen-executed-by-the-germans-is-a-compelling-drama-1.2113984

Because I have a subscription on LoFWW, I was able to collect the individuals' records into a community, making them easy to find there (Iron 11 in the search box brings up the list). However, I am already way behind on a number of projects, so I am not in a position to add to the Life Stories of these men. If anyone else can fill out more about them, please do.

The community is at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/4475

I am currently writing a book on the affair.  This includes a chapter on the biographies of the soldiers which is now completed.  There is probably too much information about them to put up on a website, but I will put an edited version on the LoFWW site when I deliver the manuscript to the publisher in September this year.

Incidentally, there were 12 men executed if one includes Vincent Chalandre, the Frenchman who sheltered them.

Apologies for the delay in responding, I have been away for a few days. Thank you for your offer to put up something on their Life Stories on LoFWW. If you need any help with that, by September I may be a little more sorted out!

I was aware that Vincent Chalandre was also executed, but as he could not be included on LoFWW, I used 11 in the title. Vincent is referred to in the description on the community page I gave the link for, so is remembered too.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently writing a book on the affair.  This includes a chapter on the biographies of the soldiers which is now completed.  There is probably too much information about them to put up on a website, but I will put an edited version on the LoFWW site when I deliver the manuscript to the publisher in September this year.

Incidentally, there were 12 men executed if one includes Vincent Chalandre, the Frenchman who sheltered them.

In fact there are potted biographies of the eleven on the website http://iron12.org/the-soldiers/. I'll cut and paste the links into the LoFWW site.

• 1 year later...

I have just completed my book on this story. It's called 'The Killing of the Iron Twelve: An Account of the Largest Execution of British Soldiers on the Western Front during the First World War.' It will be published by Pen & Sword in June/July. The story has been mentioned many times in the GWF over the years. To avoid cross-postings I have put a copy of the synopsis of the book in the Book and Reviews section.