Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Selousi

A quote by Sazonov, I think

Selousi

Hello, 

I have read somewhere recently words which I believe were said by Sazonov, and yet cannot seem to find them in my files or on google scholar. Perhaps someone knows where I might find them, or tell me if I am mis-remembering.  

I believe the quote was, I paraphrase: 'with just a few more years/two more years of peace, Russia will be a truly great power/ready for war' - I believe they were said by Sazonov circa 1913/early 14. 

Thank you kindly, 

Selousi

My mistake; I found it; it was Stolypin in 1909 - 'Give the state twenty years of internal and external peace and you will not recognize Russia' 

seaJane

I wonder whether Russia would have achieved that if Stolypin had not been assassinated?

James A Pratt III

The Russian economy was booming pre-WW I I think one economist said in 1910 if the Russian economy kept going at its currant rate Russia would be the strongest economic power in the world in 1950! In 1914 Russia began a major expansion program for its army which was to be completed in 1917. Tsar Nicholas II said in 1911 or 1912 he wanted to avoid a war until 1917. Sadly for Russia we know what happened.

Selousi
On 2/28/2017 at 16:44, James A Pratt III said:

The Russian economy was booming pre-WW I I think one economist said in 1910 if the Russian economy kept going at its currant rate Russia would be the strongest economic power in the world in 1950! In 1914 Russia began a major expansion program for its army which was to be completed in 1917. Tsar Nicholas II said in 1911 or 1912 he wanted to avoid a war until 1917. Sadly for Russia we know what happened.

Hi there, 
Would you know of a good source for that Nicholas II quote? That'd be quite useful to me. 

James A Pratt III

The Nicholas II quote is in the book "Nicholas and Alexandra"

James A Pratt III

page 266 Nicholas and Alexandra the quote was made in 1911.