Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QAMNSI

ddycher

All

Does anyone know how to go about finding more detail on the nurses of the Queen Alexandra's Nursing Medical Service for India (QANMSI) ? I am trying to find more about the Nursing Sisters Hilda Rooke and Alice Hart who were stationed at the Station Hospital, Multan in 1915.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

There is a WO399 record for an Alice Hart. She is down as QAIMNS, would the two ladies be officially known as QANMSI or should that be QAIMNSI?

I can have a look on Monday and let you know if there's an India connection.

Not sure about the two VADS, Alice and Hilda could have resigned from QAIMNS and become VADs in 1918 I suppose.

There's a Nurse H. Rooke who received a War Medal awarded 29/7/1901

She's on Ancestry Campaign Rolls for QSR as a Nursing Sister with ANSR.

TEW

Kath

Many thanks.

I think the Alice Hart here is the same one identified by Tim below. This is a different lady who did a short term in the UK. Alice Maud Hart was to have an extended career in the QAMNSI serving well in to the '30s as a Lady Superintendent.

I believe Hilda Rooke is the right one though. Indian Army Lists show her going on leave ex India for a year in April 1918 so the dates tie in. Not yet found an Army List ref to show her returning to India.

Seems both the Red Cross and National Archives don't cover service in the QAMNSI. So far I only have ref's from the Indian Army Lists and gazettes post 1905.

Many thanks

Dave

Tim

Thanks.

Re. Alice Hart : As per above I think the Alice Hart is a different lady. I down loaded the file from NA and it is for the same short service nurse that Kath ref's above. I know Alice Maud Hart was in India at the same time so this is not her.

Re. Hilda Rooke : The ref to 1901 is interesting. I am trying to determine if "my" Hilda Rooke was the wife of Giles Rooke (see elsewhere on GWF). The red cross ref placing her in the Isle of Wight would support this. In which case she was Hilda Foster. However as yet I can not find a QAMNSI ref for a Hilda Foster yet either.

Both these ladies, and another Lyllian Allman, factor in the 5th Devons time in Multan and is part of my background work on the Bn's time there in 1914~15. Currently I am exploring the Station Hospital. So far I am struggling to put people to the names. Limited glimpses from the Army Lists about it so far.

Regards

Dave

Tim

Thanks.

Re. Alice Hart : As per above I think the Alice Hart is a different lady. I down loaded the file from NA and it is for the same short service nurse that Kath ref's above. I know Alice Maud Hart was in India at the same time so this is not her.

Re. Hilda Rooke : The ref to 1901 is interesting. I am trying to determine if "my" Hilda Rooke was the wife of Giles Rooke (see elsewhere on GWF). The red cross ref placing her in the Isle of Wight would support this. In which case she was Hilda Foster. However as yet I can not find a QAMNSI ref for a Hilda Foster yet either.

Both these ladies, and another Lyllian Allman, factor in the 5th Devons time in Multan and is part of my background work on the Bn's time there in 1914~15. Currently I am exploring the Station Hospital. So far I am struggling to put people to the names. Limited glimpses from the Army Lists about it so far.

Regards

Dave

This could be Hilda Rooke:

QUEEN ALEXANDRA’S MILITARY NURSING SERVICE FOR INDIA 

The following lady nurses have been permitted to retire from the service :-.... Senior Nursing Sister Miss H. Rooke, on account of ill-health, August 14th 1922.

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME071-1923/page187-volume71-22ndseptember1923.pdf?_ga=1.237641411.2111786689.1488104774

British Journal of Nursing

There is a reference to Nurse Alice Hart being left 100 pounds (reported March 1928)   from a grateful patient who appears to have been a civil engineer,  in this link , but no obvious India connection

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME076-1928/page075-volume76-march1928.pdf?_ga=1.178413287.2111786689.1488104774

The Search link is http://www2.rcn.org.uk/development/library_and_heritage_services/library_collections/rcn_archive/historical_nursing_journals/search_journals#

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen

Re. Hilda Rooke : The "Miss" throwing me again. Just when I was convincing myself she was Maj. Giles Rooke's wife ref's again seem to show atleast 2x Hilda Rooke's in India at this time. This supports that the Hilda Rooke I am looking at is the lady who died in Northampton in May 1923. More digging to do.

Re.Alice Hart : Interesting. I guess there is no reason he couldn't have been in India before returning home. Not my area but would civilians be treated in a military hospital ? Army Lists show she was in India at the time.

Proving difficult to pin down.

Regards

Dave