Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers Died In The Great War

Mangoman

I do not have a copy of this book so am unsure if it is possible to look up individual soldiers without knowing the regiments they served in? I am trying to research the military careers of those men commemorated on our local War Mamorial and having searched Ancestry UK I have drawn a blank. The two soldiers in question are F. Hams and A.W. Young, They neither appear on the CWGC, Is it possible to identify these men just by their names? Each man has a connection with Mangotsfield , Gloucestershire and the surrounding areas.

Edited by Mangoman

A search for Mangotsfield gives #12037 Arthur William Young of the Worcestershire Regiment.

The only F Hams on SDGW is #235341 Frederick John Hams of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Many thanks for your help but regrettably Frederick John Hams came from Stockport and has no connection with our village. Have checked the church records and drawn a blank there also. Thanks for taking the trouble of finding a possible name.

Mangoman,

Just a thought - but whats the source of the surname? The online pictures of the Mangotsfield Great War Memorial has an A W Young listed but nothing like the surname Hams.

My thinking is that a poorly written surname "Harris" could be mis-transcribed as "Hams" - you don't have to access "professional" genealogy sites for very long without realising that's a comparatively simple error :-)

I couldn't see anyone on the Census records associated with Mangotsfield with the surname Hams but plenty of Harris's, (including a 24 year old Frank on the 1911 census),

regards,

Peter

Great minds think alike! LOL I'd thought the same during the week so will pop along to the church to check the memorial scroll tomorrow.Thnks so much.

I'd check the initial as well :-)

I just did a wildcard search on the CWGC website.  Surname H*, additional information includes *Mangotsfield* and got two responses - the first of which is a Stephen Harris who died on the 27th October 1917, aged 35, serving with the 9th Company, Canadian Machine Gun Corps. The additional information is that he was the son of George Harris, of Shermongreen Farm, Mangotsfield, Bristol, England.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1592843/HARRIS, STEPHEN

His Canadian Army Service Record can be accessed here.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=442913

(At the bottom of the left hand column you'll see the line "Digitized service file - PDF format" - click there !)

His Company War Diary for the period can be accessed here

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayEcopies&lang=eng&rec_nbr=2004835&rec_nbr_list=2004835,2004942&title=War+diaries+-+9th+Canadian+Machine+Gun+Company+%3D+Journal+de+guerre+-+9e+Compagnie+canadienne+de+mitrailleurs.&ecopy=e001188432

Apologies if that's a red herring - but could also be the start of a campaign to get him added to the memorial !

regards,

Peter

Thnks very much PRC. As I said, an inspection of the Memorial Scroll in the local church will hopefully resolve the matter.