Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cleaning medals

Guest becckk

Hi,

I've seen a few other posts but as I've only recently come into possession of these two medals, I know very little about them or the material which I am presuming are Silver and Bronze?

The medals aren't in the best condition and I am hoping to clean them up and looking the best that they could. One also has green on it and I can't seem to clear that either. 

I've tried cleaning them with a rubber but that only seems to bring up the smaller marks but I'm worried about using any products as I've read that some can damage the medals! 

Can anybody recommend ways in which I can clean each medal without damaging them?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Edited by becckk

3 hours ago, becckk said:

Hi,

I've seen a few other posts but as I've only recently come into possession of these two medals, I know very little about them or the material which I am presuming are Silver and Bronze?

The medals aren't in the best condition and I am hoping to clean them up and looking the best that they could. One also has green on it and I can't seem to clear that either. 

I've tried cleaning them with a rubber but that only seems to bring up the smaller marks but I'm worried about using any products as I've read that some can damage the medals! 

Can anybody recommend ways in which I can clean each medal without damaging them?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, 

Welcome to the Forum. 

It's personal choice. I leave medals in "as found" condition. A picture may help people gauge condition and advise accordingly.

Someone who cleans will be along shortly I'm sure.

The "green" may be verdigris. You can shift that with WD40. A useful tip passed to me by another member of the forum some time back. It would be useful to know exactly what medals these are so we can give appropriate advice.

Mike

"Silver and bronze" suggests the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, which were both awarded to the vast majority of British servicemen who served abroad in an operational theatre. (Medaler's avatar is the BWM.)

Hot soapy water and a soft brush will probably get most of the dirt off. The verdigris might need a bit more effort but I would agree with GWF1967 and not try to do too much to them.

If the ribbons are still attached, be careful not to get them stained as you clean up the medals, though I think it is possible to get new ribbons from the Army Medal Office.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

If the ribbons are still attached, be careful not to get them stained as you clean up the medals, though I think it is possible to get new ribbons from the Army Medal Office.

Ron

Or from a famous internet auction platform. As they say in Yorkshire "E-Bay Gum"!

Mike

13 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

"Silver and bronze" suggests the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, which were both awarded to the vast majority of British servicemen who served abroad in an operational theatre. (Medaler's avatar is the BWM.)

The original post showed a WW2 Star and WW2 War Medal - I suspect removed to keep the thread WW1 related... ;-)

Edited by Andrew Upton

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christine Anding

Whether ménage or not to clean is an issue that divides many medal collectors and is a question often asked by owners of family medals. The simple answer really is: it’s your choice, as the current owner, or custodian of the medals.

8 hours ago, Christine Anding said:

Whether ménage or not to clean is an issue that divides many medal collectors and is a question often asked by owners of family medals. The simple answer really is: it’s your choice, as the current owner, or custodian of the medals.

Surely "menage" would only apply to a trio?

Mike