Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zillebeke Dugouts.

Michael Peck

Hi all,

My Great Uncle, Pte 2441 William Henry Grocock (4th Lincolnshire) was killed, with 6 others, by shell fire on 2nd September 1915 while in the supposedly relatively safe location variously described as 'Railway Embankment Dugouts', 'Zillebeke Dugouts' or just 'Embankment Dugouts'. All are buried in Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm).

I have (I think) most possible information about him from census to the Battalion War Diary, but my ask is if anyone is aware of a contemporary photo(s) (or sketch plan or large scale map etc) of the dugouts which would help explain the exact location and layout?

I realise that this is a difficult, possibly impossible, request but would thank anyone for any assistance.

Mike. 

Mike - There's a McMaster map here of the Zillebeke region. http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A71296/-/collection

On it is marked "Embankment dugouts", someone else will be able to tell you if it's the exact one you're after. This is just north of Hollebeke.

There's another thread here which may be useful to as it mentions the areas of interest plus Paul Reed's Walking the Salient book.

Will

embankment-dugouts.png

Not these, which are German. Remains of these, and of Lock Lodge, still there.

The ones that you need are at Zillebeke, can't do map at present but I'm sure someone will post one soon.

Peter 

Edited by mebu

My thanks for your interest and help. A visit to Railway Dugouts later this year may (or may not) help to locate the place, I can but hope. And by sheer coincidence, Will, I expect Paul Reed's book to arrive today!

Mike.

Michael

My Trench Map DVD (March 1915) has Railway Dugouts on this portion of the rail line.

Roger

Railway Dugouts (2).jpg

Here is Transport Farm marked on a later map.

Roger

Transport Farm (2).jpg

Here is the rough area on Google Maps.  I am not very good at doing overlays - somebody else might help.

Roger

Railway Dugouts Google Earth.jpg

On 21/02/2017 at 12:33, Michael Peck said:

Hi all,

My Great Uncle, Pte 2441 William Henry Grocock (4th Lincolnshire) was killed, with 6 others, by shell fire on 2nd September 1915 while in the supposedly relatively safe location variously described as 'Railway Embankment Dugouts', 'Zillebeke Dugouts' or just 'Embankment Dugouts'. All are buried in Railway Dugouts Burial Ground (Transport Farm).

I have (I think) most possible information about him from census to the Battalion War Diary, but my ask is if anyone is aware of a contemporary photo(s) (or sketch plan or large scale map etc) of the dugouts which would help explain the exact location and layout?

I realise that this is a difficult, possibly impossible, request but would thank anyone for any assistance.

Mike. 

Here is a map corrected to 8th May 1917 showing the Railway Dugouts.

Howard

railwaydugouts.jpg

And Howard, our mails must have crossed. Also in your debt. This forum never ceases to amaze me for the help it gives and the obscure questions it always answers! Thank you,Howard.

Mike.

There were numbered and named dugouts along Zillebeke West Bund they detail number of men in each, amount of overhead cover and condition I have the details in a war diary will try and track them down.  The bund in question is running from roughly the middle diagonally up to the top right.

post_5_1211445896.jpg

Norfolk Regt War Diary states

Dugouts in Railway Bank:

Dugout

59   100 men

80     90 men

99     12 men

100   10 men

100a  18men

101 - 102 14 men ea

Edited by 303man

I'm very interested to see the aerial photo. If I'm right the annotation to the left of '1918' picks out Manor Halt - the spot where my great uncle was killed. You can just see the railway cross Manor Road.

Edited by m0rris

• 1 month later...

Is this the location?

RAILWAY DUGOUT, Transport.PNG

• 4 years later...
  • Admin

Hello All, I just found this thread/post and thought to bring it to the attention of @David_Blanchard as he is researching this area. Regards, Bob.

• 2 years later...

Quick question - how far away is the Zillebeke or Railway dugouts from the Zwarteleen Salient?

I ask because that's where the remnants of 2 Bn KOYLI were pulled back to from their disastrous attack, (and relieved by the South Lancs afterwards), from Trench 41 onto the Salient on 7 May 2015.

Edited by kerry

• Admin
1 hour ago, kerry said:

Quick question - how far away is the Zillebeke or Railway dugouts from the Zwarteleen Salient?

I ask because that's where the remnants of 2 Bn KOYLI were pulled back to from their disastrous attack, (and relieved by the South Lancs afterwards), from Trench 41 onto the Salient on 7 May 2015.

Not far at all Kerry.

Railway dugouts grid square 21c

Zillebeke  grid square 22 b and d

Zwarteleen grid square  29 c and d

So approximately  2000 yards away;

screenshot of map courtesy of National library Scotland.https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464897

image.png.9fe45ab2a247b26b3788415343d5d087.png

Bob, many thanks indeed and for the map graphic. Another piece to the ancestral jigsaw puzzle 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, kerry said:

Bob, many thanks indeed and for the map graphic. Another piece to the ancestral jigsaw puzzle 

Happy to help :thumbsup:

There is a long thread about the Railway Dugouts here;

You might glean more from it?

Thanks, Bob, for keeping me in the loop.

Dsvid