Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Mclean or Andrew Thomson Maclean

thetrenchrat22

The CWGC has S/4957 Private Andrew Thomson Maclean 10th Gordon Highlanders, 25th September 1915 buried in Plot 1, Row B, Grave 5 of Fosse Military 7 Cemetery (Quality Street), Mazingarbe, France. 

The Grave Registration Report Form attached to his name shows S/4957 Private J Mclean, 10th Gordon Highlanders, 23rd September 1915. 

James Mclean names appears on the Addenda Panels of the Le Touret Memorial, France as his name brought to their attention in 1998 and his name was add in 2000.

Andrew T Maclean name appeared in the Times Newspaper on the 27th October 1915, from the Daily Casualty List Dated 17th October 1915 as being Killed, his name appears with others who were killed around the 21st, 23rd, 24th and 25th October 1915 but James Mclean name does not appear in that list.

on the 9th November 1915, Andrew T Maclean name again appears in the Times Newspaper from a Daily Casualty List Dated 30th October 1915 but this time under the section 'Corrections - Previously Reported Killed, Now Reported Missing.'

In that same issue, appears the name of James Mclean who is being reported as 'Killed'.

I have looked at the War Diary and 8 men were killed when trench mortars hit the front line trench they were holding.  The War Diary does record the Service number S/4957 and the Surname 'Mclean'.  Further research has shown that James Mclean and Hugh Dillon (Grave 2) were both men of the Machine Gun Section and that Hugh Dillon & Samuel Robertson (Grave 6) were both killed in a Dug-out. 

Also research shows that Andrew Thomson Maclean was also a member of the Machine Gun Section

Who is the soldier buried in Plot 1, Row B, Grave 5 of Fosse Military 7 Cemetery (Quality Street) is it James Mclean or Andrew Thomson Maclean.

Any help in this matter would be grateful as I'm putting together a case to submit to the CWGC for the headstone to be amended or a headstone to be placed in Fosse Military 7 Cemetery (Quality Street) with James Mclean name on it. 

Andrew Maclean Army Form W 3372doc2254520[1].JPG

Edited by thetrenchrat22

• 5 months later...

Evidence sent yesterday to CWGC , in reference to the above case.  

• 2 months later...

The CWGC has now passed the case back to the NAM for a further review 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

• 1 year later...

Here is a photo of James Mclean 

does anybody have a photo of Andrew Thomson Maclean

B58286DE-AD9D-40E2-B3F2-F57653F59014.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Have there been any subsequent developments in this case?

Hi, 

i do have a outcome in this case but due to the complexity of the case facts.  

I’m not allowed to release any details and as soon I’am possible I will do so

Alan

On 30/03/2019 at 10:18, thetrenchrat22 said:

not allowed to release any details

Interesting, I have never heard the CWGC request that it the past.

4 hours ago, laughton said:

Interesting, I have never heard the CWGC request that it the past.

I’ve seen one on here, it was only  last year 

due to the fact, there are 2 families involved in this case, the CWGC are in contact with one of them.  

But they would like to make contact with the other family to make them aware of this situation and for there thoughts. 

Alan

• 2 months later...

I’ve just noticed the following on the CWGC website for James Mclean.  

The CWGC, NAM and JCCC have all agreed that the soldier buried in Plot 1, Row B, Grave 5 in Fosse 7 Military Cemetery is James Mclean and not Andrew Thomson Maclean 

PrivateMCLEAN, JAMES

Service Number S/4357

Died 23/09/1915

Aged 24

10th Bn.  
Gordon Highlanders

transparent-casualty-cwgc-emblem.ashx

NB.

Recent research has shown that James McLEAN, not Andrew MacLEAN, is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a replacement headstone to mark this as James McLEAN's grave. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information. 

CemeteryImage.ashx?id=10337

Buried at FOSSE 7 MILITARY CEMETERY (QUALITY STREET), MAZINGARBE

Number of casualties: 118

Cemetery/memorial reference: I. B. 5.

Edited by thetrenchrat22

PrivateMACLEAN, ANDREW THOMSON

Service Number S/4957

Died 25/09/1915

Aged 19

10th Bn.  
Gordon Highlanders

Son of John and Janet Maclean, of "Redcliffe," Rochsolloch Rd., Airdrie.

transparent-casualty-cwgc-emblem.ashx

NB.

The commemoration for this casualty has recently been transferred to this Memorial. However, it will not be possible to add his name to the Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information.

CemeteryImage.ashx?id=25644

Commemorated at LOOS MEMORIAL

Number of casualties: 20645

Cemetery/memorial reference: Addenda Panel