Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd General Hospital, Camiers, France

TheRecordKeeper

Greetings,

I'm looking for photos and information about the 22nd General Hospital in Camiers, France; I've found some photos on the Harvard Center for the History of Medicine online exhibits but if anyone has any information that isn't on that website, I'd love to see it. I'm studying a particular nursing sister at this Hospital and I'd love to have a bit more information about where she worked. A lot of the things I've discovered seem to have only surface-level information. Maybe the 22nd didn't see a lot of historic things happen, but I haven't been able to find even any war diaries to make certain. Anything helps in this case; I'm looking forward to see what people come up with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Admin

The War Diary for 22 General Hospital is in three parts and can be downloaded from the National Archives for £3.45 of our English pounds!

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/a95b8911bd6e40808e5878d001cc2518

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5b536a9203b2492e991e194b6a1a07f7

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/0b41dc4f46454e87819391515ac475b4

The late Sue Light's Scarletfinders website is indispensable for researching nurses and she transcribed the war diary of the Matron-in-Chief 

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk

Camiers was part of the massive complex of hospitals and Base Depot at Etaples, the town is literally a ten minute drive from Etaples.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

• 5 years later...
On 13/02/2017 at 20:44, TheRecordKeeper said:

Greetings,

I'm looking for photos and information about the 22nd General Hospital in Camiers, France; I've found some photos on the Harvard Center for the History of Medicine online exhibits but if anyone has any information that isn't on that website, I'd love to see it. I'm studying a particular nursing sister at this Hospital and I'd love to have a bit more information about where she worked. A lot of the things I've discovered seem to have only surface-level information. Maybe the 22nd didn't see a lot of historic things happen, but I haven't been able to find even any war diaries to make certain. Anything helps in this case; I'm looking forward to see what people come up with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am currently researching the records of my cousins grandfather. He was in the Machine Gun Corps and tragically took his own life in the 1960's. Between 11th and 19th August, 1918 he was at the 22nd General Hospital in Camiers suffering from a mild bout of influenza. Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2022 at 09:24, Chris Bent said:

I am currently researching the records of my cousins grandfather. He was in the Machine Gun Corps and tragically took his own life in the 1960's. Between 11th and 19th August, 1918 he was at the 22nd General Hospital in Camiers suffering from a mild bout of influenza. Chris.

Hello! Wow, I returned to this account with perfect timing after 5 years of absence. Would you mind sharing the soldier's name and/or service number? I can see if he made an entry in the record books. If you have any questions or want to communicate via email, you can send me an email at (removed by moderator)I very much look forward to hearing back from you!

• Admin

Please use private messages to contact members off forum. It’s not  a good idea to publish your private email address on a public forum, as spammers visit and harvest information like this. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Please use private messages to contact members off forum. It’s not  a good idea to publish your private email address on a public forum, as spammers visit and harvest information like this. 

Whoops, my mistake!! Thank you for removing it.