Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Lawryleslie

Collingwood Battalion RND

horatio2

Full Official No. SS.108323 - A Special Service Stoker, taken prisoner during the Defence of Antwerp in October 1914. Repatriated via Switzerland in late 1917 and subsequently discharged invalided.

Here is his RND record card - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7262337

Mr Bean

Thanks for the info.  I'm trying to figure out his whereabouts during 1915, primarily May, June and July. 

horatio2

He was in the POW Camp at Doeberitz in Germany, which is where the RND POWs from Antwerp were held. His name is included on the list of 888 RND POW published in the 'The Times' on 21 December 1914.

Mr Bean

That's fantastic.  Thanks H2.

Lawryleslie
Posted (edited)
On 03/04/2019 at 19:40, Mr Bean said:

Hi

Please could you look up John Paul Bostock 108323.  I believe he was a stoker

Thanks

Unfortunately I can not locate your man. This is probably because he was in the original Collingwood Battalion that was involved in the relief of Antwerp in 1914. Although the book gives a brief insight into this phase of the battalion war involvement most of it concerns the Gallipoli Campaign. After the Relief of Antwerp only 22 men from the Battalion made it back home the remainder KIA or  intererred. His official number also gives a clue because the vast majority of the recruits for the Gallipoli Campaign were RNVR with an official number prefix of TZ, CZ, MZ etc depending on which RNVR unit they were recruited from. Collingwood recruits were mainly Tyne Side or Clyde giving them  prefix of TZ or CZ. 

Poops just seen H2 detailed answer above disregard this.

Edited by Lawryleslie

Mr Bean

Thanks guys.

How do I go about getting the records from the FAAM?  Can this be done online? 

I moved to Canada in 2007 and I'm not planning a UK visit for the foreseeable future.

horatio2
Posted (edited)

In short, you cannot, The National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN - of which FAAM is part) have closed down their enquiry service (including the provision of copies of service records) until mid-2020 (at least).  The website states "...But we have put in place a number of ways you can still get the information you need". This, unfortunately, is public misinformation masquerading as improved customer service.

Edited by horatio2
Date error 2020 for 1920

seaJane
1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

mid-1920

worse, mid-2020... 

horatio2

I'm a Victorian at heart, sJ!

Mr Bean

Ok guys, thanks for the heads up on that too.

My brother is in that neck of the woods from time to time so I'll get him to call in there

emleymoor

Hello,

If you are still willing to answer questions on this topic, I would be most grateful for info on AB George Douglas Lowdell 4/3289 who was with Collingwood at Antwerp (if my current information is correct). He was later commissioned into the RM Brigade and was wounded twice at Gallipoli. Was he an Antwerp escapee?

Thank you, Chris

horatio2
Posted (edited)

Able Seaman LOWDELL was one of about 25 Collingwood ratings at Antwerp who were not interned in Holland but managed to get back to UK. He was first commissioned into the RNVR in November 1914, transferring to an RM commission (for the RND) in May 1915.

Edited by horatio2

emleymoor

Thank you for instant help. I have his medals which are being put into display format with as much background information as I can muster.

Kind regards, Chris

Jovimel

Hi, 

I am trying to trace information about someone i believe to be my great grandfather ...

Henry George R Young P/O 298446 from what i have found he was a prisoner of war in Germany but died as a prisoner of war in Latvia.

I would be grateful for any help you could give.

Thank you

Edited by Jovimel
Name wrong way round

seaJane

Both these service records would seem to apply to him (NB that R=Richard and that PO indicates that he was a Portsmouth-based rating). 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Young Henry 298446&_hb=tna

If I get a chance later I will look on the Red Cross POW database for him - https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/ .

The CWGC entry confirms his burial in Latvia: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/472462/young,-/

Edited by seaJane
Forgot to add Discovery link