Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical/MH 106 Abbreviation Help Please

clk

Hi,

I've just dipped my toe in to the MH 106 hospital admission/discharge records that Forces War Records have transcribed. The man I'm looking at (my great uncle) was admitted with an "ailment" of "disordered action of the heart", which I have read up on - symptoms, treatment, etc. Apparently in the record in the "Notes written in the Observations Column:", "E.A.C.M." is written. Can anyone suggest what that might mean?

Any suggestions, very gratefully received.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Something something cerebral meningitis?

TEW

Going by recent transcription requests the letters as written may well not match the letters guessed by transcribers ... 

but I too am going to guess. How does Enlarged Atrium followed by Dai's suggestion of Cardio-Myopathy sound?

The atria left and right being two of the four chambers of the heart.

11 hours ago, TEW said:

Something something cerebral meningitis?

TEW

Again, that doesn't tie in with the disordered action of the heart.

10 hours ago, seaJane said:

How does Enlarged Atrium followed by Dai's suggestion of Cardio-Myopathy sound?

Well...anything's possible. Can't say I've seen the term 'Cardiomyopathy' preceded by 'Enlarged Atrium'.

10 hours ago, seaJane said:

Going by recent transcription requests the letters as written may well not match the letters guessed by transcribers ...

That is a definite possibility.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

11 hours ago, clk said:

Apparently in the record in the "Notes written in the Observations Column:", "E.A.C.M." is written. Can anyone suggest what that might mean?

Just for clarity Chris...

The records are hand written, but have been transcribed.

But the entry EACM is in the original handwritten record?

When you say 'apparently'- have you seen the entry? Could it be something else? Could you post an image of that bit?

Had a look at a few MH106 records and the Notes written in the Observations Column: don't have medical details, they have transfers to hospitals, discharges, or which Ambulance train evacuated them.

EG, things like this From No.45 Casualty Clearing Station. To No.23 Ambulance Train.

So perhaps 'Evacuated  X X X'

The other thing is that would be useful to know (if it was an ailment) from MH106 if this was a Field Ambulance, CCS or Hospital record. Something complicated like (using my example) Cerebral Spinal Meningitis would be an unlikely diagnosis from a Field Ambulance.

TEW

1 hour ago, Neil Mackenzie said:

Having done some Googling my guess is that it relates to this:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E/A_ratio

Neil

No.

The ECHO wasn't invented until 1957!

I think TEW is on the right lines, in that it's likely to be an administrative abbreviation.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hope it's not a SIW CCS, in which case it could be X X Court Martial.

TEW

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your observations, comments, and suggestions.

The record is just the transcription available from Forces War Records. The pertinent sections of which read:

More Information:

Detrained No. 51 Ambulance Train 22/06/1918

Ailment:

Disordered action of the heart

Date of Admission for Original Ailment:

21/06/1918

Date of Transfer From Other Hospitals:

?/? Field Ambulance

Notes written in the Observations Column:

E.A.C.M.

Archive Reference:

Records of No. 34 Casualty Clearing Station: 05/06/1918 to 02/03/1919. British Infantry. No. 34 Combined Clearing Station at JERUSALEM

Evidently he got better, as he continued to serve until after the war had ended, and lived to the age of 94.

Thanks again.

Regards

Chris

Records of No. 34 Casualty Clearing Station: 05/06/1918 to 02/03/1919. British Infantry. No. 34 Combined Clearing Station at JERUSALEM

34 CCS were in Fienvillers 21/6/1918. 34 Combined Clearing Station is a different beast and comes under Lines of Communication.

Not seeing a MH106 on Discovery that covers 34 Combined Clearing Station in JERUSALEM in 1918. But in 1920 their diary is for MESOPOTAMIA, IRAQ AND NORTH PERSIA.

No diary for 34 Combined Clearing Station in 1918.

Not sure if we're talking 34 Casualty Clearing Station or 34 Combined Clearing Station. Wonder if the archive ref has got a bit muddled. Can't place 51 AT anywhere. And I would have thought he'd be entrained on 22/6/18 not detrained.

34 CCS opened on 21/6/1918 and admitted 74. Discharged 3 22/6/1918.

Maybe the Middle East connection gives a clue to the EACM?

TEW

Hi TEW,

Many thanks for your additional comments. Very much appreciated.

5 hours ago, TEW said:

Not sure if we're talking 34 Casualty Clearing Station or 34 Combined Clearing Station.

Being a London Regiment man (at that time 2/22 Bn), helpfully his medal roll is broken down by date and theatre served in - Egypt/Palestine at the relevant time. That would rule 34 Casualty Clearing Station out.

5 hours ago, TEW said:

...I would have thought he'd be entrained on 22/6/18 not detrained

I think that is more logical as well....brought in by (unspecified) Field Ambulance, then shipped on by Ambulance Train.

5 hours ago, TEW said:

Can't place 51 AT anywhere

Possibly operating between Jerusalem and Alexandria?? I have a photo of him with 5 other men, on the back of which he's written "Taken by sister Oxley on the roof of 19th General Hospital...Alexandria  July 1918".

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk