Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Alan24

Civil Service Rifles, Somerset House

Old Phil

Thank you for your responses.

As far as I know the scroll is still inside the column.

Andy - Interesting to read about your Great Uncle.  Mine was mortally wounded the next day with 'C' Company.

Phil 

MAW

I would like to include here an unpublished photograph of a young CSR soldier among his comrades.

He was killed in action in 1918.

John Robertson FOULDS

Private

C Company, 1/15th (County of London) London Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own Civil Service Rifles)

Born Tipperary, Ireland 1899.

Resided Merthyr Tydfil, Wales.

Occupation Inland Revenue Clerk.

Enlisted Merthyr Tydfil 4 Jan 1917.

Mobilized 26 Feb 1917.

Arrived France 22 Jan 1918.

Killed in action, France, 4 May 1918, age 19.

Buried Durnancourt Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

Also commemorated on the family memorial at Corstorphine Hill Cemetery, Edinburgh.

Mark

Foulds (1).jpg

Foulds (2).jpg

Edited by MAW

Alan24
3 hours ago, MAW said:

I would like to include here an unpublished photograph of a young CSR soldier among his comrades.

He was killed in action in 1918.

John Robertson FOULDS

Private

C Company, 1/15th (County of London) London Regiment (Prince of Wales’s Own Civil Service Rifles)

Born Tipperary, Ireland 1899.

Resided Merthyr Tydfil, Wales.

Occupation Inland Revenue Clerk.

Enlisted Merthyr Tydfil 4 Jan 1917.

Mobilized 26 Feb 1917.

Arrived France 22 Jan 1918.

Killed in action, France, 4 May 1918, age 19.

Buried Durnancourt Communal Cemetery Extension, France.

Also commemorated on the family memorial at Corstorphine Hill Cemetery, Edinburgh.

Mark

Foulds (1).jpg

Foulds (2).jpg

Mark

Do you know if this could be the 3/15th London Regiment CSR at Hazley Down Camp near Winchester?

The timing is similar to this man's path.

Regards 

Alan 

andyfear
9 hours ago, Old Phil said:

Thank you for your responses.

As far as I know the scroll is still inside the column.

Andy - Interesting to read about your Great Uncle.  Mine was mortally wounded the next day with 'C' Company.

Phil 

Hi Phil, I picked up a lot of information on here from a 10 year old thread on the regiment, and some members on the BMF kindly copied me some gazette entries etc Quite a few names mentioned on the other thread including casualties, which came from a couple of books on the regiment.

The action my Great Uncle was involved with was overnight into the 25th, and I have now managed to find the names of the other 3 DCM recipients, as well as the four who fell that night.

A twist to the tale is that when my GU volunteered to support the 8th as a bomber, he had a commission 'in the post' and had technically been discharged from the regiment on May 19th!

Regards Andy

MAW

Alan,

It is not clear from Foulds' service records with which unit he served between mobilization in Feb 1917 and his arrival in France in Jan 1918. I assume he was with the 3/15th during this time as the 1/15th and 2/15th battalions were already overseas.

Mark

Alan24

Mark,

Had a quick look at his service record.

Strangely, for 4th Jan 1917, his attestation form is that used for Derby Scheme recruits, not MSA recruits. This is shown by Question 11 which refers to ...20th Oct 1915...one day with the colours...Army Reserve... The form also has the box top right for his Card No. which relates back a 'census' of men taken around Aug 1915 IIRC. He also swore the Oath, again IIRC, I thought MSA men didn't swear the Oath.

He attested the day before his 18th Birthday, so was probably a volunteer in that respect. I wonder if he did that to ensure that he got into the 15th London CSR, possibly with others he knew. If he had waited to be called up under the MSA, he could have been sent anywhere. This probably explains the type of form used.

There are others who will explain this better than I can, e.g. Kenf48, who is particularity good at recruitment questions.

The 3/15th were at Winchester (Hazeley Down, Twyford) between Jan 16 and Dec 17 so I wonder if that photo was taken there. Are there any details on the back?

Regards

Alan.

23 hours ago, MAW said:

Alan,

It is not clear from Foulds' service records with which unit he served between mobilization in Feb 1917 and his arrival in France in Jan 1918. I assume he was with the 3/15th during this time as the 1/15th and 2/15th battalions were already overseas.

Mark

MAW

Thank you for this detective work - very interesting.

The reverse has no information about the location and no photographer's address.

What is MSA?

reverse.jpg

MAW

Here is another unpublished photograph of Foulds, with some biographical information on the reverse.

The photographer's address is in Edinburgh, the family home.

Mark

photo 2.jpg

photo 2 reverse.jpg

Alan24
3 hours ago, MAW said:

What is MSA?

Military Service Act...in other words conscription.

He would have been deemed to be in the army reserve waiting call up from his 18th birthday but he enlisted age 17 years and 364 days old. I suspect that gave him a little more choice about which unit he joined. 

Regards

Alan  

pat

Thank you Phil.

that is excellent to hear.  It seems there a quite a few relatives out here, a hundred years on.

Pat

Old Phil

Never mind St Patrick - this Sunday, let's raise a glass to 'The 17th March Men'!