Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines Museum closes on 1st April 2017

keithmroberts

The Royal Marines Museum will close on 1st April, seems like an appropriate day. it will re-open in 2020 in Portsmouth dockyard.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/shock-as-plan-to-close-royal-marines-museum-in-portsmouth-is-revealed-1-7811252

Keith

It's reopening which is a good thing.  And hopefully, by locating it in the dockyard it will get more visitors (because there is is little else to see in Eastney and so I am guessing it picks up very little passing trade in its current location).  I know that Eastney has strong connections with the Corps but (and apologies if this is verging towards defence policy) moving to the dockyard will strengthen ties with the Navy, ties that a number of outsiders are trying to break.

But 4 years is quite a long time......

Agreed Gareth - and although the NMRN does cater to the strictly casual visitor, many of their displays are also well presented and of a high standard.  There is an understandable logic to the move. I hope that the site is treated with respect by the eventual purchasers, and that much if not most of the open space there is protected as well as the actual buildings, which I an sure are listed and will eventually become good quality housing.

Keith

I think the decision makes sense, sad though it is.

I do hope the memorials are protected - the Lumsden one, in particular. Similarly the interior of the old Officers' Mess needs protection.

I would hope the Royal Marines are keeping elements of the museum rotating through their training depot at their messes and for use in heritage and history training.

Cheers,

Hendo

• 3 years later...

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) turned down the NMRN's bid in 2018 for a new Royal Marines Museum in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and a national collection centre on the same site.

It does look like they are resubmitting a new proposal this year
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2020/january/10/200110-royal-marines-museum-appeal