Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British troops location Marne/Aisne

John Luger

Hi !

I'm looking for any documents where i can see the deployement and the daily life of british troops near "Châlon Le Vergeur". 

It's a very tiny village near Hermonville and Cormicy. Those places are located near the border between "Marne" and "Aisne" department.

I'm asking because this area was an huge camp for french troops (due to the Nivelle attack) but it's really hard to find elements about British troops who settled here for a while. 

It's a large research, any information can be useful to understand the sector.

I'm doing my best for english, i can answer any question you may have to ask !

Thanks for reading,

John

• 3 weeks later...

John

I may get to see some Army maps next week which show the British Army units along the Front Line during April/May 1917. It seems that Haig's Army closest units to the French Army of Franchey D'Esperey were west of St Quentin so I shall look to see which Divisions were there.

I have found the towns/village that you mention on my Michelin map, they seem quite far from St Quentin though !

Edited by sotonmate

John

I found some casualties buried at Saulcourt-Guyencourt Churchyard Extension, 3 Officers died , 1 on 3 April 1917 and 2 on 16 April 1917. This area is a small step from  Chalons-de-Vergeur. They come from 143 INfantry Brigade of 48 Division, one a Machine Gun Officer and 2 from the 6 Royal Warwickshire. We shall see if they are of help later.

12 hours ago, sotonmate said:

I may get to see some Army maps next week which show the British Army units along the Front Line during April/May 1917.

Sotonmate

Were those the maps in class WO153? I have found them useful more than once.

Ron

Hi Everyone !

Very thank you for your answers, I was disappointed since two weeks with my question !

Sotonmate : Yes you're right, Châlons le Verger is very far from St Quentin. And "Guyencourt-Saulcourt" is in The Somme Area. The place near Châlons le Verger is only named "Guyencourt".

Skipman : Thank you for the link, I'm going to read it !

John

• 2 weeks later...

John

No luck, or more time, in finding a nice map which chronicles the battle line deployments of either British or German forces. Looked in several map folders which concentrated more on the ARRAS zone and not enough detail away from that area. Doubtless there is something in one of the folders but it is not catalogued in enough detail to detect the folder(s) needed.