Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
SouthsideChaz

George Ranken Royal Garrison Artillery

Recommended Posts

SouthsideChaz

I am researching a Lieutenant George Ranken who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. He is on a war memorial at my work in Edinburgh. Currently AEGON but used to be Scottish Equitable.

 

I can't seem to find a great deal on him. I have access to Find My Past where i have located his address in 1891, 1901 & 1911 census.I also have a picture of his gravestone.

He died 1 November 1918 & was part of the 19th Siege Battery,

 

Any pointers would be appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252

London Gazette shows he was commissioned from 9th Royal Scots on 21 May 1915 as a 2nd Lt.

Appointed Temp Lt. on 24 Aug 1916 with the Forth RGA.

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SouthsideChaz
1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

London Gazette shows he was commissioned from 9th Royal Scots on 21 May 1915 as a 2nd Lt.

Appointed Temp Lt. on 24 Aug 1916 with the Forth RGA.

 

Craig

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252

He was originally #2610 9th Royal Scots. #2620 enlisted 14/11/14 so it looks like #2610 was a war time enlistment.


Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neill Gilhooley

As Craig has said, wartime enlistment as 2610, appears in the Enlistment Book, Edinburgh Castle

EB1-R

MIC: 9RS Pte 2610; RGA TF Lt. VM&BWM. Theatre France 11.10.18, Dec’d 1.11.18

Address: G.H. Ranken (father), 5 Pitt St, Edinburgh

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
7 minutes ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Craig, I don't have 2620 in my Index - whom have I missed (well, hundreds...)?

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

#2620 was Donald Sutherland - attested at Edinburgh on 14/11/14. FMP link http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7365439%2f34%2f1012

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
41 minutes ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Thank you very much.

No problem. Every so often I stumble across another man to add to my list (6th DLI).

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neill Gilhooley
4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

No problem. Every so often I stumble across another man to add to my list (6th DLI).

I've one match between our lists:

Pritchard, J.W.  Pte 3366 1/6 D.L.I. 20/8/15 (1) 9th RS 353259 Pte Disc. 18/1/19

Pritchard, John W. D.L.I. Pte 3366, R.Scots Pte 353259

15Star&BWM&VM France (1) 20.8.15 MIC

Pritchard, John W. 6th Durh.L.I. 3366 Pte, 11th RS 353259 Pte [note 11th not 9th RS] VM&BWM Medal Roll Piece 0640

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
5 minutes ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

I've one match between our lists:

Pritchard, J.W.  Pte 3366 1/6 D.L.I. 20/8/15 (1) 9th RS 353259 Pte Disc. 18/1/19

 

Pritchard, John W. D.L.I. Pte 3366, R.Scots Pte 353259

 

15Star&BWM&VM France (1) 20.8.15 MIC

 

Pritchard, John W. 6th Durh.L.I. 3366 Pte, 11th RS 353259 Pte [note 11th not 9th RS] VM&BWM Medal Roll Piece 0640

Thanks, that adds a bit more info to what I had and confirms which draft he was in.

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...