Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Goodwin

mysie

Hi we came across family headstone in Denny Cemetery Stirlingshire with the following message, William Goodwin who died at Peathill Farm ,the result of Gas after four and a half years service in France,9th March 1920.The lettering for Williams part was in lead with black paint ,which made us think it was a Cwgc but on return home he is is not on their list. My husband thought he might have asked me to bring this man up before, but i cant find the post,can anyone help if this has been investigated before.Thanks in advance.

Mary.

There is a John William Goodwin died 9th March 1920 on the CWGC site. Gordon Highlander S14747 stone in Belper Cemetery Derbyshire. He served as Borrass

Eddie

Hi Edward there is no mention of regiment or service number ,but Peathill farm is or was in the Denny area.There is an A Goodwin in the cemetery as well, but he has his own stone.                                                                          

Mary

• 2 years later...

From ScotlandsPeople...

William Goodwin, patternmaker, single, age 38

Died 9 March 1920 at 11:00 pm, Peathill Farm, Bonnybridge

Father: William Goodwin, farmer (deceased)

Mother: Mary Goodwin, nee Baird

Cause of death: morbus cordis

Informant: Alex Goodwin. brother, present

Unfortunately that doesn't help identify any military records...

• 4 weeks later...

He was in the Gordon’s and I believe there is a pension record for him if this is an Aberdeenshire man?  

He was in the Gordon’s and I believe there is a pension record for him if this is an Aberdeenshire man?  the pension was for disability so possibly due to being gassed.  Pte 41417. Pte Borrass has similar numbers - possibly a family member - interesting. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

He was in the Gordon’s and I believe there is a pension record for him if this is an Aberdeenshire man?  the pension was for disability so possibly due to being gassed.  Pte 41417. Discharged 3 March 1920