Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt T E Dukes KIA 4th Dec 1917 Dorsetshire Regiment

ATNOMIS

Pals

Im after information on the action that Pvt Dukes died. I have his MIC, effects and medal roll. I'm puzzelled that a chap from Burton-on-trent, Staffs ended up in the Dorsets?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Thomas Everard Dukes was born in United Kingdom in 1896.

Died on 4 December 1917 Age 21

Dorsetshire Regiment

Service No. 203325

West-Vlaanderen Belgium

Son of Edward and Mary Dukes, of Hoar Cross, Burton-on-Trent, Staffs.

Name: Thomas Everard Dukes
Birth Place: Woodhill, Staffs
Residence: Burton-on-trent, Staffs
Death Date: 4 Dec 1917
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Birmingham, Warwick
Regiment: Dorsetshire Regiment
Battalion: 1st Battalion
Regimental Number: 203325
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

The war gratuity shows less than 12 months qualifying service at the time of his death. The effects registers says he was with 4th Bn at the time of his death.

A man would, by 1917, be placed wherever the army needed him to be.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Simon,

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

...The effects registers says he was with 4th Bn at the time of his death...

...and his 203325 falls into the 1917 TF renumber block allocated to the 4th Bn. However, the LLT indicates that 1/4th and 2/4th didn't serve in France/Flanders, and 3/4th didn't leave the UK. It says that the 3/4th became the reserve battalion in April 1916, so it would seem that Thomas joined and trained with them, but was shipped out to serve with the 1st battalion.

2 hours ago, ATNOMIS said:

...I have his MIC, effects and medal roll...

Presuming then that you have access to Ancestry, the 1st Battalion war diary is here, Brigade HQ here, and Division HQ here

Regards

Chris

Following Chris' post, if you're looking for Virile Farm I think this is it (trench map dated 17/12/17) - in square 29 - and Wurst Farm is here (map dated 05/12/17) between squares 7 & 8. Move the blue button to 'change transparency of overlay'..

Mike

• Admin
5 hours ago, ATNOMIS said:

I'm puzzelled that a chap from Burton-on-trent, Staffs ended up in the Dorsets?

SDGW shows enlisted Birmingham, in fact he was mobilised at Birmingham, probably on or around the 30th March 1917.  Aged 20 when he died he may have been  in a reserved occupation.  He would have been 'deemed to have enlisted' under the MSA at eighteen.  The surviving records of men in this number series show they were then sent to Cowley Barracks, Oxford, the Depot of the OBLI.  From there, on the 4th April 1917 they were transferred to the 4th (Reserve) Bn Dorsetshire Regiment at Sutton Veney. All the men from this group where the records survive were from Birmingham, or Warwickshire.  We can be certain of this date but less certain as to the call up date.

It gets a little more difficult to pin down when he went to France, some men in the group were posted to other Corps or for Home Service, but it looks like those in the series who remained with the Dorsets as infantry went to France on the 14th July.  I can't find any who were posted to the 1st Bn nor can I find records of drafts around this time in the war diary so he may have gone later.

Ken

He's named, as Everard Dukes, on the memorial in Hoar Cross church.

Ken at the mention of Sutton Veny can you tell me please if my relative was in that battalion, he served in France, 11822 Sgt R H Allen MM Dorsetshire Regt .  It is just that I discovered a great uncle via ancestry the family didn't know about buried in Sutton Veny churchyard.  Researching my side and my husband's side I keep discovering links, coincidences, places these soldiers were in and could well have met each other.  Perhaps not a surprise in war but still all interesting facts on our tree.

4 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Ken at the mention of Sutton Veny can you tell me please if my relative was in that battalion, he served in France, 11822 Sgt R H Allen MM Dorsetshire Regt .  It is just that I discovered a great uncle via ancestry the family didn't know about buried in Sutton Veny churchyard.  Researching my side and my husband's side I keep discovering links, coincidences, places these soldiers were in and could well have met each other.  Perhaps not a surprise in war but still all interesting facts on our tree.

Reginald served overseas with 6th Bn and then 1st Bn.

Craig

Thank you