Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC Memorial & WW1 Memorial

Myrtle

While sorting out some photographs I thought I would post one of the new VC memorial in Kings Park Perth WA. It was taken at the end of February 2003 while it was being constructed. The memorial stones to the Australian VC men were in the process of being laid in a circular plan around the pool of water.

So involved with the process of placing the photograph that I forgot to mention that the VC memorial is the one in the foreground. There are curved stone benches surrounding the memorial which provide a place for the contemplation mentioned on the side of the pool. I am impressed with the way in which the designers have placed the two memorials together, old and new, to form such an impressive and atmospheric place. Undoubtedly the whole view is enhanced by the backdrop of the Swan River.

Hi Myrtle:

The memorial is stunning and the inscription "LET SILENT CONTEMPLATION BE YOUR OFFERING" is appropriate with the elements fire and water. Is there other inscriptions on the sides or back of the memorial?

Garth

Garth

Each man is commemorated on an individual horizontally laid block of stone set in the brown earth area that you can see on the photograph. I am not sure if turf has been laid over this area as I have not seen it since the beginning of March. If Andrew sees this post please let us know how the memorial looks now.

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

That's a great photo you've taken. I'm sure Talbot Hobbs ex-commander of the 5th Division AIF who designed the cenotaph would be very impressed with the way it's now looking with the new memorial.

I'll try and get back there in the next few days to take a photo of how it now looks.

I just hope I can do it justice the same way you have.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Myrtle.

I'm with Andrew on this, an excellent picture.

Andrew sorry I did not make it to the dawn service on the 25th. Maybe next year.

John.

Hi Andrew & John

Thank you for your comments. I think that it would be difficult to take a bad photograph of such an excellent view. It would be good to see how the memorial looks now, so Andrew if you are able to post a recent photo that would great.

Myrtle :)

Hi Myrtle & John

Managed to get there on the weekend for some snaps of the VC Memorial & Cenotaph which you will see below

post-19-1054008537.jpg

The Garden around the flame has small stone memorials to each of the Western Australians who were awarded the Victoria Cross or George Cross.

post-19-1054008679.jpg

One such plaque which is for Hugo Throsell of the 10th Light Horse who was awarded the VC for his actions at Hill 60 Gallipoli.

post-19-1054008802.jpg

I may be a bit biased, but I think that this would have to be one of the most picturesque memorials in Australia.

Unfortunately my photography doesn't do it justice.

post-19-1054008963.jpg

John

I think you were asking some time ago regarding the plaques on the trees around the Kings Park Avenues.

Some are like the one pictured below, unfortunately not all of them have their battalion colours attached.

Cheers

Andrew

post-19-1054009108.jpg

Andrew

Thank you for posting the photographs. You've taken a very good selection. I wondered what they were going to plant around the VC memorial.

Regards

Myrtle

John

I think you were asking some time ago regarding the plaques on the trees around the Kings Park Avenues.

Some are like the one pictured below, unfortunately not all of them have their battalion colours attached.

Thanks Andrew.

Just as I remembered.

John