Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last of the IAROs

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWF members,

During the Great War thousands of "gifted amateurs" joined the Indian Army Reserve of Officers (IARO) and were attached to mainly Indian Army units. Having made themselves not only useful, but in many cases invaluable, most were Released by 1919, and returned to their occupations of Planters, Indian Civil Service officials and so on. 

The April 1923 Indian Army List, however, shows the last hundred or so IAROs, many of whom were employed in strife-torn Iraq - which was very much an aftermath of the Great War.

I attach the merely two pages concerned, in the hope that GWF members may be able to enlarge on the careers of some of these largely unsung Officers. They include Capt (later Major) S. B. Hauser, IARO, who was featured in my "Iraq Levies" thread. He was apparently a QM with Arab Levies, but more is not known. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PS: Also the Sidney Bucklee Hauser medals, and his 1921 wedding in Somerset - for general GWF interest!

IAROs Apr 1923.jpg

IARO TCs Apr 1923.jpg

Major Hauser, IARO.jpg

S B Hauser and Irene Dora nee Tremain.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear Everybody,

Something seems to have gone awry here.

This post was not shown in the Recent box (as was my latest contribution). Very few have looked at this one: indeed, I can only assume that the great majority of Great War Forum members have not the slightest interest in the IARO.

Disappointed regards,

Kim. 

Dear GWFs,

Now I see that it had a brief appearance in the Recent Topics box!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim, perhaps you may be able to locate planters etc in online editions of publications such as Thacker's Indian Directory, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Directories online, section Thacker's Indian Directory

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Directories_online#Thacker.27s_Indian_Directory

For the Civil Servants, see the same Fibiwiki page, section  India List and India Office List

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Directories_online#India_List_and_India_Office_List  For Bengal, note the publications Gazetted And Other Officers Of Bengal Government-Services History

A large number of the digital files are pdf downloads from the Digital Library of India. All files fro DLI are currently being added to the Internet Archive, Archive.org and in time, although not currently, there will be the ability to read them online and Search, although how good this facility will be I don't know.

You could also try searching the British Library Manuscripts catalogue by name, in the hope that there may be an individual's file

http://searcharchives.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do

Cheers

Maureen

Dear Maureen,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Been there. Done that.

For example, one of the obscure IARO lieutenants, A. L. Rogers, was awarded an OBE (Mil) in the 1924 Birthday Honours.

Another, R. E. Cheesman, was Private Secretary to Sir Percy Cox (High Commissioner in Iraq). An explorer and ornithologist, Cheesman wrote "In Unknown Arabia" (1926) and was subsequently awarded a CBE. His sister (Florence Edith Cheesman, 1877-1964) painted an oil of "Gertrude Bell's House in Baghdad", which was bequeathed by Colonel Cheesman to the British Embassy in Baghdad, in 1962. 

Yet another, W. E. P. Harrison, turned out to have been with the 3rd Battalion, Guides Infantry, in Waziristan, 1919. 

Finally, of the IARO captains, the capable and gallant S. B. Hauser was apparently QM, Iraq Levies (as already noted above), and another, C. F. Scott-Ruffle, MC ('Iraq Rectg. Depot, Poona'), died in 1958 and is buried in St. James' Churchyard, Abinger Common...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

4035 clifford frederick scott ruffle.jpg

05919.jpg

There is a biography of  Robert Ernest Cheesman

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=6372&inst_id=10

which advises Sources: Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online.

Also booksellers descriptions of his books/article, with links in archived form, as the original links may be transient

https://web.archive.org/web/20170128001853/http://www.maxrambod.com/detail.php?item=14475

https://web.archive.org/web/20170128002406/http://www.biblio.com/book/oqair-ruins-salwa-11-cheesman-capt/d/898241454

I think it would be better if you added all the names you are interested in to this topic, so that if, in the future, perhaps a family member is researching someone, they will come across your post, and add some information. The names showing in the scan will not be accessed by a Search.

Perhaps also if you add individual topics for the men you are interested in, here and on a general genealogy site, (as in most cases you are interested in post military happenings) such as Who Do You Think You Are? Forum  but spread out over a period of time, not all at once, containing all the information you have as this can often provide a clue to people searching. The majority of these men probably returned to the UK at some point and died there.

Perhaps some may have been of an age to  have been active members of the Indian Army Reserve of Officers during WW2

There are Indian Army Lists online after April 1923  (date of your scan) see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page of that name.

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Indian_Army_List_online

Cheers

Maureen 

Dear Maureen,

Thanks for your continuing support! The biography of R. E. Cheesman was interesting. It demonstrates well, the quality of Officers fielded in those days:-

Robert Ernest Cheesman was born at Westwell, Kent, on 18 October 1878. His younger sister, (Lucy) Evelyn Cheesman (1881-1969), became a well-known entomologist, traveller, writer, and broadcaster. Cheesman was educated at Merchant Taylors' School, London, and Wye Agricultural College; worked for Sharpe and Winch, brewers, of Cranbrook, Kent and was a keen ornithologist. He was elected to the British Ornithologists' Union in 1908, and in 1912-1914 contributed notes to British Birds.

In 1914 Cheesman enlisted in the Buffs, served in India and in the attempted relief of Kut. In 1916 he met Sir Percy Cox, who shared his enthusiasm for birds. Together they undertook to collect the avifauna of Iraq. Cox wanted to organise the growing of vegetables for the troops and persuaded Cheesman to take a commission (1916) in the Indian army reserve of officers. Cheesman then became assistant to the deputy director of agriculture. While Cox was high commissioner in Iraq, Cheesman was his private secretary (1920-1923). He was elected to the British Ornithologists' Club in 1919, a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society in 1920, and a corresponding member of the Zoological Society of London in 1921.

In 1921 Cheesman mapped the Arabian coast from Uqair to the head of the Gulf of Salwa. He was appointed OBE in 1923. In 1923-1924 he spent eleven weeks at Hufuf and then travelled to Jabrin, receiving the Royal Geographical Society's Gill memorial award in 1925 for this journey. In 1925 he became consul for north-west Ethiopia, resident at Dangila, as a member of the Sudan political service. He visited the source of the Blue Nile several times, first in March 1926. He mapped the river from Tisisat to Wanbera in January-April 1927, returning to Dangila through little-known country. He completed the map from Wanbera to the frontier in February-April 1929 and explored the river from its source to Lake Tana, correcting many cartographical errors, in 1932. He circumnavigated the lake, landing on all the bigger islands and making a compass traverse of the coast, in November 1932-April 1933. He retired in 1934, was made a commander of the Star of Ethiopia, and was appointed CBE, 1935. He received the Royal Geographical Society's patron's medal in 1936 for his explorations, which he described in Lake Tana and the Blue Nile (1936) and was Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society 1920-1962.

In 1940, at the request of the Governor-General of Sudan, Cheesman became head of the Ethiopian section of Intelligence, Sudan Defence Force, first as bimbashi, then as colonel. In 1942 Cheesman became oriental counsellor at the legation, Addis Ababa. In 1944 he retired finally to Cranbrook, having been mentioned in dispatches in both wars. He died on 13 February 1962 in Tunbridge Wells.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

As Maureen so ably pointed out, it is expedient to ask directly, just who I am searching for, in connection with fellow Iraq Levies IARO, who served with Major S. B. Hauser. These were:-

Clifford Frederick Scott-Ruffle.MC; Thomas James Keenan; Albert Gerald Benjamin Bridgewater; Charles Edward Norris, OBE; William McWhinnie;

James Frank Knowles; Lionel Arthur Rogers; Robert Edgar Durston; William Edgar Pringle Harrison; Harold Austen Foweraker;

Francis William Hall; Harold Percy Frederick Young, OBE; Claud Horace Albert Wyncoll; Leonard Arthur Goddard; Dennis Herbert Bowen;

Peter Livingstone; Reginald Vivian Robinson; Ronald Herbert Wingfield Davidson; John Melvin Groundwater Duguid; Clearance Walter Lay, MC;

John Salmond Adamson, MC; David Gardiner; Etric George Mackenzie; Arthur Reginald Conder, MC; Edwin Borton; and Andrew Thomas Williamson.

If even one comes good it will be well worthwhile!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 year later...
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:48, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

William Edgar Pringle Harrison

Hi Kim

I have an interest in this officer as well ( I am assuming you don't have his medals??). However, I am almost sure he was present at my grandfather's MiD action at Badama Post 31 July 1919. See: 

I am particularly keen to know what happened to him after the war? Did he have family / descendants?  What is the significance of Hauser and Iraq? I do have a photograph - not a brilliant one, but a photo none the less.

Regards, Paul

Dear Paul,

Interesting that your grandfather had an MiD action at Badama in 1919; my grandfather was wounded in a VC action at Peronne (MC for AIF Capt W. F. Lindsay, Coy Cdr 53 Bn), 1918...!

I recall looking up W. E. P. Harrison, but no more.

Yes, I have the Major Hauser medals (15 Trio and GSM IRAQ), thanks to my interest in the IARO. I was unable to find out much about his attachment to the South Persian Rifles, however.

I attach my photo of Hauser and Irene - and would be highly 1719452089_SelfWeekendofMedalsNov2011small.jpg.e2828519589c99c29efb8bc6d91e06d9.jpg335788839_SBHauserandIreneDoraneeTremain.jpg.055f9a360c22a2a41c54d93597747a3e.jpg1234949266_MajorHauserIARO.jpg.27b65e07ff8ddd306e3c262e5b885998.jpg170797019_GrandfatherandDadsminiatures.JPG.cce17c9e9fc175af9084d0620cfe6d72.JPGinterested to see the one you have, needless to say!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 25/01/2019 at 23:40, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

interested to see the one you have, needless to say!

Kim

Quality awful - but Lt William E P Harrison is the centre officer in the rear. 1919 - with 3rd Bn Guides.

The officer in front of him is Lieut HRM Jeffries. Sadly the Indian officers are not identified.

Regards, Paul

WEP-Harrison.jpg

Edited by pjwmacro

Dear Paul,

Super! Many thanks.

I can think of at least five groups sans portraits in my collection whereby such a photo would be a Godsend!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 26/01/2019 at 16:18, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I can think of at least five groups sans portraits in my collection

Kim

Do you want to post the names?  Any likely to have been in 3rd Guides in 1919?

Regards, Paul

On 27/01/2017 at 23:46, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Yet another, W. E. P. Harrison, turned out to have been with the 3rd Battalion, Guides Infantry, in Waziristan, 1919.

Kim

There is a possibility that he might not have been in Waziristan in 1919. It looks as if Lt WEP HARRISON fought in the Kurram with 3rd Guides during the Third Afghan War, and then appears to have returned to Canada on furlough. See ongoing discussion in:

I have also started an ancestry public tree for this officer (His father was IA, as was his elder brother, Maitland, and his step Father (Hugh ROSE), and half brother Hugh Vincent ROSE.

Regards, Paul

See: 

Looks like William Harrison wasn't at Badama Post 30/31 July 1919

Regards, Paul

Dear All,

I stand corrected for any mis-leading comments - but must admit I have mis-laid my cyber notes!

Another failing of mine is that once I have found the elusive 'Officer Image', I tend to wind-down my efforts on the subject.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

13 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I stand corrected for any mis-leading comments

Dear Kim

I was not trying to be accusatory. I was acknowledging my own changing understanding of the movements of Lt William EP Harrison. For the last year or so I have been convinced that he was present at Badama Post (in the Kurram Valley) 30/31 July 1919. The thread in the soldiers topics is clear.  He was with 3rd Guides at the start of the Third Afghan War (May 1919) and presumably moved to Parachinar with them in mid May. Sometime in mid Jun to early July he went on furlough - presumably after the actions at Amir Thapa fort on the Afghan border on 2nd / 3rd Jun 1919. He then shipped from India to England, and in August 1919 from Liverpool to Quebec and on to BC.  Thereafter he returned to India, remaining on the IARO until 1926.

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:18, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I can think of at least five groups sans portraits in my collection whereby such a photo would be a Godsend!

I am sure you have before - but do you want to post (or message me) the names of those you are without portraits for? I assume one is the elusive Thompson?

Best wishes, Paul

Dear Paul,

Thanks for that.

Yes, one is the indeed elusive Lieut David Thomson, attd RAF and erstwhile Observer with 31 Sqn. Pair, IGS Afgh NWF 1919 (F-Offr., RAF)

Another is William John Davis, BSc., who was MiD twice for Mesopotamia (Works): IARO attd RE. Indian Service of Engineers. Pair, IGS Malabar (Exec Eng), 35 Jub, 37 Coro, Vol LS.

A third: Cecil Leonard Harland, Decoration Civique (Belg); Red Cross and St John of Jerusalem. Pair, Decoration Civique 1st class.

Fourth: John Newbold Ross, who became a Magistrate. IGS Afgh NWF 1919 (A-Sgt., STC), 37 Coro, Eff Medal (India).

Finally, Lieut and T/Capt William Percival Platt, MBE (Mil), N'land Fus.att MAD, IA. MBE GVR, BWM, IGS Afgh NWF 1919 (Lieut., M. A. Dept.).666361213_ProbateDavidThomson.png.981c04fd2cf64f044ce675f3fb5401b2.png340288868_IOList1938W.J.DavisBSc.jpg.cca2d5ae29a43873792d3d99c1fd2bf4.jpg1360166216_HarlandPairandDC1stClass6Apr2018.jpg.7884b92c899cf02f6e5e8a5130a6098e.jpg293233820_JohnNewboldRoss1937CoronationMedal.jpg.6a79001ecede7f31c927210ac5135644.jpg970648561_plattprobateandwill.JPG.f1e12aab9441a9567be3924f11cf964c.JPG1429184857_plattprobate.JPG.e4475624f4dbc9583e0fc5835ec056f1.JPG

More details available and an out-of-print book from my bookshelves as Reward for an Image!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Lieut David Thomson, attd RAF and erstwhile Observer with 31 Sqn. Pair, IGS Afgh NWF 1919 (F-Offr., RAF)

Another is William John Davis, BSc., who was MiD twice for Mesopotamia (Works): IARO attd RE. Indian Service of Engineers. Pair, IGS Malabar (Exec Eng), 35 Jub, 37 Coro, Vol LS.

A third: Cecil Leonard Harland, Decoration Civique (Belg); Red Cross and St John of Jerusalem. Pair, Decoration Civique 1st class.

Fourth: John Newbold Ross, who became a Magistrate. IGS Afgh NWF 1919 (A-Sgt., STC), 37 Coro, Eff Medal (India).

Finally, Lieut and T/Capt William Percival Platt,

Kim

Some interesting characters there, but I`m afraid I cannot help with images at present. I will, as always, keep my eyes open. 

My father served with a REME officer by the name of Platt (Colonel, Andrew) - it's a long shot, but I will check.

Regards, Paul.

Dear Paul,

W. P. Platt was awarded one of only two MBEs which went to the MAD for Third Afghan.

An accountant, he had joined in 1914 and was immediately commissioned, but it was years before he went overseas, NW Frontier and Third Afghan being his only actions. The powers that be took their time in having him shipped home and appointment ended: this culminated in a contretemps about excess luggage!

Platt was moreover annoyed with his rank of Lieutenant, saying he had been promised the rank of Captain, having spent a lengthy time as a T/Capt. The powers that be eventually relented. Latterly, Platt was a Salesman. It is doubtful if he ever wore his large medals, perhaps only utilising miniatures for evening wear (like my late father, for example).

Kindest regards,

Kim.337160912_PlattMIC.jpg.794985724b8046723c6a01632f5ae327.jpg1967245349_LtPlattM.A_Dept.jpg.49833854dc4545c1c24fe0bb780b2994.jpg

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 00:06, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

W. P. Platt

Kim

I have checked and the Colonel Andrew Platt, late REME (Retd) whom I know claims no family links to William Platt.

Sorry not to be able to help.

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thanks for looking.

William Percival Platt, MBE, is one of the few "brick wall" examples in my collection (his school is defunct, etc.). 

I have often toyed with the thought of selling them off, but then decide not to (partly because I have no urgent need of the money which would be realised).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Brick wall or not - he is remembered.

Regards, Paul

• 3 weeks later...

A 3rd Guides question - do you have a photo of a Brian Patrick Sutherland Fitzpatrick?

What I know of him in this period:

Attended Wellington Cadet College in India 15th January 1919 to 27th January 1920

Commissioned Second Lieutenant, U.L.I.A. 29th January 1920.

Appointed IA 1st February 1920.

He was attached to 3rd Guides in Waziristan from 13th February 1920 (where they saw some arduous service) but spent the rest of his career with 26th Punjabis (later 2/15th Punjab Regiment).

Depot Quarter Master & Accounts Officer 1 May 1920 – 22 June 1920

(Served Waziristan 24th May - 24th August 1920)

Attended a two month course at the School of Physical training, Northern Command in 1920.

Promoted Lieutenant 29th January 1921.

April 1921 IAL attached to 3rd battalion the Guides Infantry.

Appointed Supervising Officer, Physical Training, Peshawar District 1st February 1921 – 16th May 1923 when appointment abolished.

Thanks,

Matthew

Dear Matthew,

B. P. S. Fitzpatrick? Sorry, no Image to hand...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PS: As far as the aforementioned obscure Punjab Rifles Cpl John Newbold Ross is concerned, the indefatigible Inspector found an Image of his father, E. P. Ross (1858-1921) wearing his Vol LS (1895). Superimageproxy.jpg.2acc3ce0b13de2353e0664fd17c97423.jpg

8 hours ago, Matthew B. said:

A 3rd Guides question - do you have a photo of a Brian Patrick Sutherland Fitzpatrick?

Sorry Matthew, but no.

MacMunn lists him in Appendix as attached to 3rd Bn from 13/2/1920 - and states now with 2nd/15th Punjab Regt.

No mention of him in the text covering operations in Waziristan in 1920, given he was "Depot Quarter Master & Accounts Officer 1 May 1920 – 22 June 1920" - are you sure he deployed to Waziristan - the depot was Mardan, so he may have been held there.

MacMunn includes  a photo of the Officers of the Corps in 1922 - but Fitzpatrick not listed in the caption.

Regards

Paul