Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4Btn Leicestershire Regiment Ypres

CSMKOYLI

Hi All,

I'm tying to trace a family member and really need to know where the 2/4Btn Leicestershire Regiment was attacking on 26th September 1917 near Ypres please.

Very grateful if anyone can help please.

Thanks

Battalion War Diary only gives a map reference, Gravenstafel map  D20 A-8-5. As you say it's close to Ypres.

Bob

Edited by little bob

First day of the Battle of Polygon Wood (26 to 30 Sep 1917).2/4 Leics were part of 177 Infantry Brigade of 59 Division and with V Corps,around 4 miles E of Ypres.

Thanks both, that's invaluable info! Little Bob- if you have access to the Battalion War diary would you kindly mind seeing if there is any reference or listing of Pvt Harry Gladstone Bartholomew please? KIA on 26 September 1917.

Thanks again.

I don't think that you have made enough posts to use the personal message system. The diary is available on Ancestry. Will have a look when time permits, probably tomorrow. War diaries don't usually name individual other ranks.

Bob

Hi,

8 hours ago, little bob said:

Battalion War Diary only gives a map reference, Gravenstafel map  D20 A-8-5. As you say it's close to Ypres.

The little green dot on the ('plan' for the assault) map below represents D.20.a.8.5. Depending on how much contextual information you would like surrounding Harrys death, there is a lot more info in the 177 Brigade HQ, and 59 Division HQ diaries that isn't in the Battalion diary (- in which I didn't see him mentioned by name). All of the diaries are available from the National Archives for a modest fee, or from Ancestry by subscription.

59 Div.jpg

Regards

Chris

Chris, Thanks so much!!! Really appreciate you're help. Can you please advise on where I could purchase a copy of that map or especially a closer look at that area please? It's very additive piecing together the information and all points towards the attack on Hill 37 a few hundred yards to the North East.

Hi,

The map* is in the 59 Division HQ (General Staff) diary - £3.45 from the National Archives here.

Regards

Chris

*Edit: It's a lot bigger, and much better resolution.

Edited by clk

• 1 year later...

Hi adplh22,

Welcome to the forum.

If you were to post his name and service number, and what you already know, it might be possible to dig out some more info for you.

Regards

Chris