Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowman & Power-Clutterbuck

Northern Soul

Please could someone supply me with some details of the loss of the 53 Sqdn RE8 crewed by Bowman & Power-Clutterbuck on June 25th, 1917? I am interested in obtaining a photo of Leslie Bowman and am also curious as to why, unlike Power-Clutterbuck, his grave could not be identified after the war.

Many thanks.

Andy.

Andy

You might like to seek out a copy of Under the Guns of the Red Baron by Franks, Giblin and McCrery, ISBN 1 898697 27 2. It has a comprehensive listing of all of Rittm Manfred von Ricthofen's victories.

Lt L S Bowman [pictured below] and 2Lt Power-Clutterbuck were flying in RE 8 A3847 when shot down by von Richthofen on 25 June 1917 - his 56th victory. The aeroplane crashed in No-Man's-Land and 2Lt Power-Clutterbuck's body was recovered by British troops. Lt Bowman's body was not recovered.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

post-25-1102880027.jpg

Here is a photo of James Edward Power-Clutterbuck's gravestone.

Second Lieutenant JAMES EDWARD POWER CLUTTERBUCK Royal Field Artillery, attd. 52nd Sqdn., Royal Flying Corps and Royal Field Artillery who died on Monday 25 June 1917. Age 23.

Robbie

post-25-1102880305.jpg

Robbie & Gareth - many thanks for the replies and photos. However, another question; Bowman is listed as 53 Squadron whereas Power-Clutterbuck is stated to be 52 Squadron by the CWGC. Is this correct? Would men from different squadrons be in the same plane or is it likely to be an error with them both being 53 Squadron?

Cheers.

Andy.

All the sources I have indicate that both airmen were in No 53 Sqn RFC.

Cheers Gareth. I have PM'd Terry Denham to ask him to investigate.

Andy.