Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Digital Library of India/Internet Archive (Archive.org)

MaureenE

There currently seems to be an ongoing process of officially uploading books from the Digital Library of India to the Internet Archive (Archive.org).

The files in the Digital Library of India are currently only available as pdfs. The books uploaded to Archive.org on 17 January 2017 have the ability to be read online, (in addition to other download options) while the books uploaded  from 18 January 2017 which include some of the Official Histories  by Edmonds, as yet do not have this facility, but hopefully  it may appear in time.

Cheers

Maureen

• 4 months later...

For those who may still be looking for a comprehensive on-line archive here is a recent link to Official Histories of WWI.

This link will take you to The Official British History of WW1 from which you can connect with a wide range of other national histories

l have just successfully downloaded a pd version of Capt. Cyril Falls, Military Operations Egypt Egypt and Palestine which I have been hunting down for some time.

http://generalstab.org/links/official-histories-ww1/the-official-british-history-of-world-war-one/

Edited by ChrisWA

The Official Histories are linked on various FIBIS Fibiwiki pages, where there may be additional online volumes linked compared with the URL in post 2 above.

For example, Fibiwiki page Western Front has additional volumes shown, mainly Appendices

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Western_Front

Fibiwiki page Egypt, Palestine, Syria (First World War) https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Egypt,_Palestine,_Syria_(First_World_War)

has 3 volumes  of the Official History in total linked -   Volume 2 comes in two Parts.

History of the Great War: Military Operations, Egypt & PalestineFrom the Outbreak of War with Germany to June 1917 by Lieut-General Sir George MacMunn and Captain Cyril Falls HMSO 1928.  Volume 2 June 1917 to the End of the War: Part 1 by Cyril B Falls 1930 Volume 2, From June 1917 to the End of the War Part II by Cyril Falls 1930 . Catalogue links to pdfs. Digital Library of India . Archive.org versions: Vol. 1Vol. 2:1Vol. 2:2.

Online maps, either from the above volumes, or from an additional volume are available through the National Library of Australia's  Search, using title: Military Operations, Egypt & Palestine/Add limits: Map and Online. From the results select Maps, and Online. Sixteen maps have been noted.

Cheers
Maureen

Thank you all for these links.

HazelC.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would mention that the DLI has a notice up indicating that they are going through their books identifying copyright infringement -

Dear Users,
We had noticed a few copyright violations, pointed out to us by the publishers / copyright owners. This may have happened due to the mistake by some of the scanning centres. Our intention is not to put any books which are within copyright on the website and hence we have requested the scanning centres to go through their scanned books and ensure that they are out of copyright. They are working hard towards this. Once they are cleared the website will be back in action. Till then kindly bear with us. 
Inconvenience caused is deeply regretted. 
-- DLI Team

Not sure how many books have been removed; I was trying to download volume one of "Military Operations, Gallipoli". 

Dave

7 minutes ago, lostinspace said:

Thought I would mention that the DLI has a notice up indicating that they are going through their books identifying copyright infringement -

Dear Users,
We had noticed a few copyright violations, pointed out to us by the publishers / copyright owners. This may have happened due to the mistake by some of the scanning centres. Our intention is not to put any books which are within copyright on the website and hence we have requested the scanning centres to go through their scanned books and ensure that they are out of copyright. They are working hard towards this. Once they are cleared the website will be back in action. Till then kindly bear with us. 
Inconvenience caused is deeply regretted. 
-- DLI Team

Not sure how many books have been removed; I was trying to download volume one of "Military Operations, Gallipoli". 

Dave

I suppose it depends on what the Indian government recognise as copyright in respect of the periods they protect works.

Wiki indicates government works are 60 years from publication with some literary works being author's death + 60 years. It also states however that copyright is limited to that length which would be granted in the country where the works originated.

Craig

I think it may have more to do with Internet Archive and U.S. copyright law, as they have been adding some DLI books that are clearly past our 1923 cutoff date. Just my thought.

Dave

I have been working though ‘History of the Great War,’ Cyril Falls, ‘Military operations in Egypt and Palestine’ on General Staff Archives  (http://generalstab.org/links/official-histories-ww1/the-official-british-history-of-world-war-one/#comment-11427)  and have discovered that it has only scanned Part I, up to Chapter VII. Part two starting from page 395, is missing completely except for the Glossaries starting from page 553.  Does anybody know of  another site that would have this complete e-book?