Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is the artist of this Shell shock drawing or print?

John Gilinsky

Thank you Janet for the post which I believe is your very first one to the Great War Forum.  You will generally find all types of expertise here.  Can you please contact me via email and tell me what more information you have related to John Parker Douglas Hewat's World War I experiences, his medical history and any other relevant information?   Thank you for your consideration and offer.  John

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2018 at 3:27 AM, John Gilinsky said:

Thank you Janet for the post which I believe is your very first one to the Great War Forum.  You will generally find all types of expertise here.  Can you please contact me via email and tell me what more information you have related to John Parker Douglas Hewat's World War I experiences, his medical history and any other relevant information?   Thank you for your consideration and offer.  John

Yes this is my first post to the Great War Forum.  I have put together some information which I would be delighted to either post on the forum so the others can see or to send you by email. Where would I find your email address?

Edited by Janet Chambers
typo

• Admin

Janet, you can contact John via personal messenger by clicking on his name then use message, indicated by an envelope. 

Michelle 

• 2 weeks later...

from Janet Chambers:

I've now been in touch with the Wellcome Library who have digital copies of The Fourth General Hospital Magazine, including vol 1, issue 9, Jan 1917, p 174 where SHELL SHOCK was published.  They have sent me a much larger image - presumably the size of the original.  The original is held at the Museum of Military Medicine, Keogh Barracks, Aldershot.  It's nice to see a larger image.

However, we are now looking at it in a new light.  In the larger image it can be seen that the object in the lower left hand corner is not a pipe or a smoking shell but a boiled egg.  Maybe an unusual breakfast in the hospital in time of rationing!  A visual joke.  This indicates a different state of mind from that discussed in the thread.  Having skimmed pages of The Fourth, wit and resilience of this kind is typical of the tone of contributions to the magazine - articles, poems, cartoons. 

The image came as a tif but I've renamed a copy as pdf and hope it will open for you.

SHELL SHOCK copy.pdf

Hi Janet and welcome to the Forum!

I've clicked on the link you so kindly provided, but I'm afraid it's not opening for me.

(sea)Jane

This is what I can find on John Parker Douglas HEWAT

Born: 16 Sep 1892 [1939 National Register] OR 1893 [Scottish Register of Births, via Ian in Post #13 higher up] - my money would be on Ian's 1893

Parents: Andrew & Helen, details higher up.

School: Kelvinside Academy, fully concur that this is an important and prestigious school in Glasgow :thumbsup:

30 Mar 1913: Commissioned 2/Lt into 9/HLI (TF).  Formerly Cadet in Kelvinside Academy OTC [from Army List and LG]

24 Sep 1914: promoted Lt, 9/HLI [from Army List]

05 Nov 1914: Disembarked in France, thus eligible for the 1914 Star [MIC]

29 Sep 1916: promoted temp Captain [LG]

20 Jul 1917: Lt (temp Capt) promoted to Captain with precedence from 01 Jun 1916 [LG]

09 Oct 1918: Seconded for service in the Machine Gun Corps [LG]

22 Nov 1921: Married Janet Magdalene Margaret GRIEVE (born 09 Jan 1892 [1939 National Register])

1936-39: Living at 36 Park Mansions, Vivian Avenue, Hendon, Mddx, NW4 3UU with Jeanny Hewat [Electoral Rolls]

29 Sep 1939: Living at 36 Park Mansions as above.  Occupation: Journalist/Editor.  Wife Janet MM Hewat appears to be at The Red House, West Hill, Wincanton, Somerset, BA9 9BY

1953: General Manager of Nuffield Press Ltd., part of the publishing and printing arm of what was then Morris Motors.  This part focussed on printing & publishing car handbooks, owners' magazine etc. Seems consistent with a background in journalism/editing. [Grace's Guide]

06 May 1955: Died in hospital in Ruislip, Middlesex.  Home address: 2 St Ursula Grove, Pinner, Mddx, HA5 1LN.  Survived by widow Janet Magdalene Margaret Hewat. [National Probate Calendar]

HTH

Mark

from Janet Chambers:

I've now been in touch with the Wellcome Library who have digital copies of The Fourth General Hospital Magazine, including vol 1, issue 9, Jan 1917, p 174 where SHELL SHOCK was published.  They have sent me a much larger image - presumably the size of the original.  The original is held at the Museum of Military Medicine, Keogh Barracks, Aldershot.  It's nice to see a larger image.

However, we are now looking at it in a new light.  In the larger image it can be seen that the object in the lower left hand corner is not a pipe or a smoking shell but a boiled egg.  Maybe an unusual breakfast in the hospital in time of rationing!  A visual joke.  This indicates a different state of mind from that discussed in the thread.  Having skimmed pages of The Fourth, wit and resilience of this kind is typical of the tone of contributions to the magazine - articles, poems, cartoons. 

I would suggest that the drawing is a self portrait.  I say this being familiar with how he drew himself in cartoons of family (including myself as squalling baby) and also family photos.

The image came as a tif but I've renamed a copy as pdf and hope it will open for you.

SHELL SHOCK copy.pdf

Details from M Brockway all look good to me.

In 1939, after WW2 broke out, wife Jenny self evacuated to Somerset with daughter Helen.  Douglas Hewat remained in Hendon and worked during the war as Art Editor for the Daily Mail, where part of his job was to commission cartoons - the war effort to strengthen morale to resist Hitler.  As an amateur cartoonist he would have had an interest in the work of professional cartoonists.

After the war they moved to Oxford.  By then my mother had left school and was in the Navy as a VAD.  My parents married in 1952 and lived in Pinner.  My grandparents bought a house just round the corner at 2 Ursula Grove.  I spent time with him there although I don't remember him, being only 2 when he died.  I'm told he enjoyed playing with me.  By then his leg had been amputated but I brought vegetables and pans from the kitchen to where he sat.  I reckon my artistic talents come from him.

I would suggest that the drawing is a self portrait.  I say this being familiar with how he drew himself in cartoons of family (including myself as squalling baby) and also family photos.

10 minutes ago, Janet Chambers said:

I would suggest that the drawing is a self portrait.  I say this being familiar with how he drew himself in cartoons of family (including myself as squalling baby) and also family photos.

I must admit when I first saw the picture, I saw the object as an egg, the lines emanating therefrom indicating said egg had gone 'off' and the man's expression down to the shock/disappointment on cracking open the shell of an anticipated treat and receiving instead a disgusting shock!

My reading was that it was definitely intended to be a light-hearted, humourous pun on 'shell shock'.

Mark

Here we go, but it looks to be a scan of a printed halftone, not the original artwork  ...

Close-up

2067634019_CopyofL0046100.jpg.fd07a1d39cc9b6820b2f668c59a9cc87.jpg

Full image

L0046100.jpg.3e5c1f01861be9dfab1e71e0a35f58ac.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have just found this topic while researching the artist of a still life watercolour painting I recently saw for sale. 

The name is the same and the painting is dated 1910. I believe this may be by the same JPD Hewat mentioned in this strand and illustrates his artistic talent before WW1. 

Does anyone think it could be the same person? 

Thanks. 

Gary. 

Screenshot_20200712_185127.jpg

Screenshot_20200712_185148.jpg

The signature on the drawing within this link https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-19669457/view?partId=nla.obj-19671757#page/n17/mode/1up looks somewhat different, (although some letters do look similar), so they could be different people, although I guess people's writing changes over time.

1342893438_ScreenShot2020-07-13at10_17_11am.png.81f813e8e1d4bf147ce8774db7bfc620.png

If they were the same person, the 1910 painting would have been done when Hewat was 18.  Would the subject matter be of interest to an 18 year old? To me, it suggests an older person

Have you checked out the family tree to see whether there are any other relatives with the same initials, perhaps uncles or cousins?

Cheers

Maureen

3 hours ago, Maureene said:

Would the subject matter be of interest to an 18 year old? To me, it suggests an older person

Might have been an art school exercise set by an older tutor?

Hi Maureen, 

Thanks for the signature. It does look slightly different and yes the subject matter is unusual for an 18yr old - but maybe just an art exercise using interesting (and hard to draw) items from home. 

The three same initials and the unusual spelling of Hewat seem to suggest to me that they could be same person. I'll have a look for any family tree information. 

Thanks for following up. 

Gary.