Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GREEN BARN / ST VAAST ADS

Sunbird

Greetings

The 50th Field Ambulance unit diary mentions medical officers being sent to an ADS at 'Green Barn St Vaast' 20th January 1917. Does anybody have any idea of the location of the 'Green Barn'? Was it a barn, or did it have some other kind of meaning?

I have found some references to the ADS at the Aux Rietz Cave (Vimy Ridge, Nigel Cave) St Vaast.

Many thanks

Chris

• Admin

Might be Richebourg St Vaast. There's a Cemetery  at Richebourg called St Vaast Post.

Michelle

Two different ADSs I think.

ADMS 37th Div. Diary says 26/12/1916;

...visited advanced dressing stations at GREEN BARN & St. VAAST

50th FA HQ was at Vielle Chapelle when GREEN BARN & St. VAAST were operated by them. They took these over on 20/12/1916.

48th FA were at ZELOBES.

No map refs so far, may find one later.

TEW

Found this in DDMS XI Corps diary for Dec 1916.

Untitled.jpg

The R & X refs are to sheet 36a but the M refs (Green Barn & St Vaast) are for sheet 36.

Can only find a 1:40,000 for that sheet on McMaster. Square M is left hand side near the bottom.

Green Barn probably was just a green barn. There was an associated house which was being used for staff and was going to be converted to baths.

TEW

• 2 weeks later...
On 25 January 2017 at 14:02, TEW said:

Could try NLS Maps as well. XI Corps DDMS diary is this one, NB it has the wrong dates in the description, it is 1915 Sept - 1917 Nov which I've notified them about.

TEW

Hi Tew, I searched for the XI Corps DDMS diary (WO 95/889/1) on Ancestry with no luck. Would you know if it is only available through NA? 

Chris