Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7 Rajputs Officers 1925

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear knowledgeable Great War Forum members,

I attach an officers group photo of 1/7 Rajputs, 1925.

On the back of the original, in faint pencil, are three names: 1) V. C. A. Munckton, 2) Morgan Browning, and 3) E. M. C. Mackenzie. The position of the pencilled-naming is that 1) is back row, 2nd from left; 2) is back row, 2nd from right; and 3) is seated, third from right.

However, on checking, it does not seem to be right. Perhaps GWFs can add information?

What is right, is that the officiating Commandant, seated, was Major B. S. A. F. Greville: 15 Trio, three-clasp IGS, Durbar 11, and a Foreign decoration.

The officer 2nd from left, back row, had a 15 Trio (MiD oakleaf), two-clasp IGS and one-clasp GSM. The officer 2nd from right, back row, had BWM, Victory, two-clasp IGS, and Vol LS (?).

The officer seated far right had the MC, BWM, Victory, two-clasp GSM and two-clasp IGS: probably Capt R. E. J. Holmes, MC. 

Any leads from the greyness into the light would be more than appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1-7 QVOLI Rajput R. 1925 Maj Greville, Capt Holmes, MC etc..jpg

Dear Harry,

Thanks for discovering Major Greville's Ordre de Leopold (Chevalier), Belgium.

What a pity about no award being found for Capt Monckton...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Not necessarily totally relevant, but the presence of a Sikh officer intrigued me (I think the 7th Rajputs recruited only Rajputs - the old 2nd Rajput Light Infantry, forerunners of the 1st/7th certainly did), so I did a bit of investigating.

David Omissi's The Sepoy and the Raj has a chapter on Indianisation - the replacement of British officers with Indian (as opposed to VCOs), and the 1st/7th were one of five infantry, one Pioneer and two cavalry regiments slated as beginners of the process in 1923 (the others were the 2/1 Punjab, 5/5 Mahratta LI, 1/4 Punjab, 4/19 Hyderabad, 2 Madras Pioneers, 7th Light Cavalry and 16th Light Cavalry).

In March 1923 the 1st/7th had 19 British and 2 Indian officers; by June 1932 the proportion was 9 and 10. When the scheme began (in 1923), it was intended that each regiment involved would receive two Indian officers - to replace one British officer and one VCO - per year. Presumably, the Sikh (and the chap to the right of him as we look, who also looks like he's not a Rajput (PM?) are the fruit of that process. I also wonder about the Indian-looking officer on the ground, carrying a topee. Theoretically, by late 1925 the regiment could have received three Indian commissioned officers.

Fascinating snapshot of a tradition on the cusp of change.