Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of Unknown Squadron

john-g

Hi

Thanks for making contact.

I think it has to be a two seat squadron there are quite a few Observers wings on show, I am not sure it it is UK based or not, lets just hope that someone will recognise a face, so that I can narrow it down.

many thanks

john-g

1 hour ago, john-g said:

Hi

Thanks for making contact.

I think it has to be a two seat squadron there are quite a few Observers wings on show, I am not sure it it is UK based or not, lets just hope that someone will recognise a face, so that I can narrow it down.

many thanks

john-g

John,

Observers could also be pilots under instruction, so not necessarily a 2-str squadron. Possibly a training squadron but I would say that a 2-str squadron is also a possibility.

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:04, john-g said:

I am trying to identify which squadron these men belonged to, can any one identify anyone in the photo?

John-g

20170103131046[1].jpg

Hi

Just pure speculation but I think it is a strong possibility that it is more likely to be a Corps squadron.  There appear to be a fair few Royal Artillery officers in the picture including those without any wings (observers training on the job?).  Also on the far right of the front row is what appears to be a Staff Officer, presumably visiting, so that may indicate that it is more likely to be an 'overseas' rather than 'home' unit.  It is a pity there is no date for this image it could narrow the search through other unit photos of the period. 

Sadly for many these are rather 'unimportant' men of the air war as unless they later became 'fighter aces' they remain unrecognised as individuals.

I presume you have no other images that relate to this one?

Mike

Interesting that the chap seated centre (where one would expect the CO to be) isn't sporting wings of any kind - unusual. I can't make out whether it's a single pip on his arm or a crown, but he looks old enough to be a Major.  Quite a few wound stripes on display.

Is there something odd about the Wings worn by the chap seated third from the left?  They look different to the others.

I think it might be an RAF photo as only one officer at the back on the left is wearing an RFC uniform. When my uncle Reg was in the RFC his early photos show him in RFC uniform without breast pockets, but when he was in the RAF after April 1918, he is shown wearing normal Army uniform with breast pockets, tie etc. Which may narrow it down.

Hi

The variety of uniforms is not a good dating method.  Many officers that joined the RFC wore their 'own' uniforms with flying badges attached.  The two images attached show No. 13 Sqn. in March 1916 (Albert Ball second from left), and No. 16 Sqn. in June 1916, a Corps squadron.  Note the mixture of uniforms and officers without flying badges for whatever reason, all similar to the image in question.

Mike

1916RFCsqn002.jpg

1916RFCsqn003.jpg

Sure, but there may be things about the uniforms which may help to narrow things down or help us to identify someone.  For instance, if those are wound stripes one can see on some sleeves, then it has to postdate their introduction - I may be wrong but I think that was in the Spring of 1916.  Similarly If there is something different about the set of "wings" I mentioned, that might also give a clue as to the date.  Which all helps to narrow things down a bit.

john-g, is there any chance of a higher resolution scan so we can see the cap/collar badges better?  

At the moment I'm working on two ways in: via the CO, who looks as if he ought to be vaguely familiar, and via the Lieutenant seated third from right with (I think) artillery badges and a medal ribbon, possibly the MC.  That may narrow it down to a few hundred possibilities....!  Another route might be to identify any Australians... I have been comparing faces with RAC ticket photos on Ancestry without great success so far - trouble is that those pictures tend to be very formal whereas here everyone is rather more relaxed!

Piers

2 hours ago, pierssc said:

Another route might be to identify any Australians.

Piers

The tricky thing about the Australians is that they would either have joined the RFC direct, transferred from other British regiments, or been discharged from the AIF to join the RFC.  So it's most probable that any Australians would be in British uniforms.  Nevertheless, some AFC men served in RFC squadrons for experience before the AFC became fully operational in late 1917, and would have worn AIF uniform, but I can't see a Rising Sun badge on the caps or lapels of any of the officers in the photograph in question.

Gareth

Hi, Mike  am sorry but this is the only image.  I was hoping that some one might recognise a member of their family or that other researches might recognise someone who they had come across in the past. Somebody, some where out there has the answer.   Australians are obviously a possibility, but my research with 66 Squadron shows that most if not all the Officers who served including Australians and those from New Zealand all wore RFC/RAF uniforms.

john-g

20170103131046 (2).jpg

Hello John, This gentleman is Major (Captain in this photo) Harold Hemming, Worcestershire Regiment, Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force.

Some of the units he served with are, 31 Reserve Squadron, 64 Training Squadron, 103 Squadron, 109 Squadron, and 1 School of Navigation and Bomb Dropping etc.

His service record on Findmypast makes interesting reading. He was awarded the Air Force Cross in 1919 and lost an eye in a flying accident in the 1920's. He died in 1956. I have posted more information on the Cross and Cockade Forum.

31032_A200031-00064a.jpg

1955 - 0748.jpg

Hi, Mike  am sorry but this is the only image.  I was hoping that some one might recognise a member of their family or that other researches might recognise someone who they had come across in the past. Somebody, some where out there has the answer.   Australians are obviously a possibility, but my research with 66 Squadron shows that most if not all the Officers who served including Australians and those from New Zealand all wore RFC/RAF uniforms.

john-g

Hi Rob,

Thanks everyone for your input. Thanks to Rob very much at least it is a start.  I have his AIR76 and will have a look through which squadron he flew  with and what dates and hopefully close the time space.  get back to you a.s.a.p.

John

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have been going through his AIR76 and his post war service.   As far as WW1 is concerned he served with three squadrons 16/10/17 103 Sqn, who were based at Serny during his term with the squadron.  10/12/17 109 Sqn on DH9's were a home based wireless squadron and, 13/07/19 with 244 Sqn who served in Ireland.   Looking at the Photo, I would discount 109 and 244. Presumably the photo is of his time with 103?

john-g

Edited by john-g

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this might prove useful to someone interested in 16 Squadron RFC. The bottom of the two photos posted above in post #9 by @MikeMeech was taken at La Gorgue in June 1916 and the names (left to right) are;

Least, Owles, Buck, Howell, Minot, Budgen, Davidson, Davidson, Maj. Powell, Diamond, Shaw, Ellis, Nesbitt, Pentland, Waller, Trascott, Waddington, Welsh

This photo appears identical to the one printed in Flight Global - 'Flight and Aicraft Engineer' No 2466 Vol 69 Friday 27 April 1956 and the names are taken from there.

Note: Trascott is probably Lt Truscott (Observer) as mentioned in Captain William Allcock's diaries. Of the above, the only names listed in these diaries as active in the squadron Feb-May 1916 are; Maj D W Powell CO, Lt Nesbitt (Observer), Lt Truscott (Observer), Capt WH de W Waller, 2/Lt Welsh (Observer), 2/Lt J G Howell (Observer).

(My grandfather is Captain William Waller 16 Sqn, 4th from right smoking the pipe, I have a nearly identical photo taken at the same time in which he is holding his dog)

Edited by willw
Clarity

The lower of Mike's two protos, evidently.  I had a moment of hope there as I'm researching Lt Atholl Nelson Nesbitt, R. Inniskilling Fusiliers and RFC ... but having consulted Airhistory.org and casualtyforms the one in that photo appears to be Lt A. Nesbitt (per airhistory), (or A.T.A. (Alan Thomas Aquatine) Nesbitt according to the casualtyforms) Connaught Rangers and RFC!  Never mind.  Thanks for posting as someone may be looking for these people.

Maybe see you at La Gorgue on Saturday!

Cheers

Piers

1 hour ago, pierssc said:

Maybe see you at La Gorgue on Saturday!

Cheers

Piers

My pleasure, hope someone stumbles across this and finds it useful one day. Looks like your A N Nesbitt is recorded in AIR 76/368/188, but you probably know that.

Definitely see you at La Gorgue, wild horses notwithstanding etc! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, willW, many thanks for your help in Identifying these men and the squadron concerned. Lets hope that this might spark some more information in the future?

john-g