Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Film footage of Gallipoli

Ken Morgan

Just wondering where one could find film footage of the Gallipoli landings and of the campaign itself? Do such creatures exist?

Being in Canada we tend to only see the footage of events that the Canadians were involved in. As my Grandfather was at Gallipoli, I would be interested in viewing any films that exist.

Any ideas?

find film footage of the Gallipoli landings and of the campaign itself? Do such creatures exist?

As far as I know there was no filming done live at the time of the landings.

Last year the IWM held a History Day on 24th April, the eve of the anniversary of the landings and one item on their programme was ‘Heroes of Gallipoli’ which was described as “The Australian version, produced in 1920 by C. E. W. Bean, of the documentary film shot at Gallipoli by Ellis Ashmead-Bartlett. This film contains the only contemporary footage taken during the campaign.” [my emphasis]

An article by George Imashev [the Curator of Film & Sound at the Australian War Museum] in The Gallipoli Association’s journal ‘The Gallipolian’ describes what survives of the original footage; 10.5 minutes of images and 9.5 minutes of titles, or, just about one-fifth of Ashmead-Bartlett’s original. Mr Imashev speculates on what happened to the rest of the film and asks was it discarded because of its technical faults or

“Did he [bean] edit the footage? If not, where is the missing footage? Was there film contradicting the ANZAC legend, and if so was it suppressed (as were Ashmead-Barlett’s observations about the Gallipoli venture when he lectured in Australia in 1916 with police on hand to arrest him if he departed from the prepared text)?”

Mr Imashev concludes that Bean was probably not to blame, however he admits that there is still no explanation for the missing footage.

The film is said to be powerful and to provoke an overwhelmingly positive response

Perhaps the AWM can tell you if copies are available

Regards

Michael D.R.

I seem to remember being told that it was possible to purchase a copy of the film shot at Gallipoli as noted by Michael from the AWM.

The AWM should be able to assist you with your request.

Cheers

Geoff S

There's footage on the BBC's 1960's 'Great War' DVD boxed set - I don't know if it's contemporary, or recreated, or what, but I found it very interesting, especially just the crowds of Kitchener's Army getting on the ships to take them to the Dardanelles.

- Garen.

I have a copy of 'Heroes of Gallipoli' that I bought from the Australian War Memorial. Log on to the site (www.awm.gov.au), click on Search our Collections and do an advanced search for 'Gallipoli' with the 'Film' box checked. As well as Heroes of Gallipoli there's a range of results including interviews with veterens, etc. It cost about A$50 to have the 20 minutes of film copied to VHS and posted to me.

It's very interesting - particularly the scene of the firing line during the attack on Sari Bar. (This scene is available to download from a website somewhere but I can't remember where I've seen it). Most of the scenes deal with day-to-day life: unloading barges, carrying water, leading mule teams, etc. If you are a Gallipoli student the film is worth checking out.

Cheers,

Mat

Ken.

The British Imperial War Museum (IWM) lists the following:-

Roop

GAUMONT GRAPHIC 421 (fragment 2) [Main]the EMIGRANT [alternative] GB

3/1915

IWM 483-3

MESSTER WOCHE 45 1915 [Main]SEMANA MESSTER 45 1915 (on copy held) [alternative] Germany

11/1915

MGH 4557

BRITISH AIRSHIPS IN THE EAST - OFFICIAL NAVAL FILM [Main] GB

NTB 248-1

TOPICAL BUDGET 248-1 [Main] GB

24/5/1916

IWM 1181

TOPICAL BUDGET 233-1 (fragment) [Main] GB

7/2/1916

IWM 772

der KAISER BEI UNSEREN TÜRKISCHEN VERBÜNDETEN [Main][the KAISER WITH OUR TURKISH ALLIES] [translation][KAISER WILHELM VISITS TURKEY] [alternative, allocated] Germany

1917 (?)

IWM 1058

HEROES OF GALLIPOLI [Main] Australia

FEA 21

TELL ENGLAND [Main] GB

MGH 2825

PILGRIMAGE TO GALLIPOLI[AMATEUR FILM BY MAJOR G B HORRIDGE] [Alternative] 1935

WPN 55

WAR PICTORIAL NEWS NO 55 [Main] GB

(?) 18/5/1942

MGH 665

NEWS FROM HOME (APRIL 1945) [Main] Australia

4/1945

ADM 1539

[MEDITERRANEAN FLEET VISITS GALLIPOLI] [main, allocated][post-WAR NAVAL OPERATIONS] [series, allocated] GB

1955 (ca)

IWM 1065-22

the GREAT WAR 22 : Damn Them, Are They Never Coming In ? (F S Oliver) [Main]DAMN THEM, ARE THEY NEVER COMING IN ? (F S Oliver) [alternative] GB

IWM 1065-9

the GREAT WAR 9 : Please God Send Us a Victory (soldier's prayer) [Main]PLEASE GOD SEND US A VICTORY (soldier's prayer) [alternative] GB

PME 45

the NINETY YEARS - A TRIBUTE TO WINSTON CHURCHILL [Main] GB

MBY 1

the LIFE AND TIMES OF LORD MOUNTBATTEN 1 - THE KING'S SHIPS WERE AT SEA [Main]the KING'S SHIPS WERE AT SEA [alternative]the LIFE AND TIMES OF LORD MOUNTBATTEN [series] GB

1/1/1969

BFA 867

[EXERCISE KEMAL'S COCKNEY, TURKEY, 5 TO 13 OCTOBER 1998 (TAPE 1)] [Provisional][HEADQUARTERS LAND COMMAND ARMY 1998 COLLECTION] [Allocated Series] GB

10/10/1998

BFA 868

[EXERCISE KEMAL'S COCKNEY, TURKEY, 5 TO 13 OCTOBER 1998 (TAPE 2)] [Provisional][HEADQUARTERS LAND COMMAND ARMY 1998 COLLECTION] [Allocated Series]

Just to pick up on a previous point made by Michael. So it is not misconstrued.

Ashmead- Bartlet was the original advocate of Anzac legend and was unlikely to have stated anything adverse about Australian & New Zealander troops. In fact he lavished praise on Australia and Australian troops that fought and died at the Dardanelles. I believe his speeches were only critical of the British government and it's military leaders of the campaign for failing the dominion troops.

This being the case, it would have been highly unlikely that the Ashmead-Bartlett speeches would have had anything to concern the Australian censors. I think he was probably responsible for increasing recruiting and patriotic fervour in Australia.

Cheers

Geoff S

The Australian version, produced in 1920 by C. E. W. Bean, of the documentary film shot at Gallipoli by Ellis Ashmead-Bartlett. This film contains the only contemporary footage taken during the campaign.” [my emphasis]

An article by George Imashev [the Curator of Film & Sound at the Australian War Museum] in The Gallipoli Association’s journal ‘The Gallipolian’ describes what survives of the original footage; 10.5 minutes of images and 9.5 minutes of titles, or, just about one-fifth of Ashmead-Bartlett’s original.

Ken,

I have an extract of the film. It is about 7 megs, silent, and not of the best quality, considering its age and conversion to digital. If you have an email address that is perhaps on broadband, then PM me and I will send you a copy.

Peter

Geoff

The ref to the police attendance at Ashmead-Bartlett’s Australian lectures was part of a direct quote from Mr Imashev’s article. The piece was published in the AWM’s ‘Wartime’ issue No.18. before it appeared in ‘The Gallipolian.’

It appeared in the latter journal together with another ‘Wartime’ piece on A-B by Robert Nichols which concludes with the comments that “On a lecture tour of Australia in 1916, he concentrated on the performance of the ANZACs rather than the failings of their commanders.”

I imagine that the powers-that-be were apprehensive about A-B’s lectures after the incident of his letter which was smuggled to the UK by Murdock and by his repeated comments about “The World is full, and fed up with, swaggering Nonentities” – a ref by him on the allied high command.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

The amusing part for me is the fact the Australian government in 1916 appear to have enforced censorship on A-B (so often vocal in his criticism of the campaign leaders & advocates) only to have the their failures publicised in the Dardanelles Commision which was widely reported in the Australian press the following year.

I think the missing part of the film was not cut or censored by A-B or Bean. Just simply misplaced or lost. Unless it managed to depict the muddling or blundering of the Allied leaders. In which case I am sure the British government would have managed to use to damage themselves with at more convenient time. ;)

Regards

Geoff S

Ken,

I recently saw (about a month ago) a great documentary on the History Channel regarding the Gallipoli Campaign. "Battlefield Detectives: Gallipoli". It had some footage but I'm not sure how much of it was real and how much of it was old recreations. But what I thought was the best part of it was the recent footage of the area. It really gave you a great sense of the topography, memorials etc.... You might want to check out www.historychannel.com and see if you can find it there.

Happy Holidays,

Robert

• 8 years later...

KONDOA mentioned this film earlier in this thread, so I though best to post here. Footage of von Sanders, and Enver Pasha

Messter-Woche Nr. ? (1915)

Bundesarchiv - video Gallipoli

Messter week number ? (1915 )
Posted On: 19/07/2013 | Length : 08:18 min
Production Company: Messter Film GmbH (Berlin)
Copyright :

Federal Archives
Category: EFG1914 - Movies from 1 world war

1 Between Title: Parade before Enver Pasha . Picture: Nazis Turkish army units on a site, different types of weapons ; officers in an interview with Enver Pasha . ( 26.4 m ) 2 Between Title: The Dawn of a camel caravan with things for German troops on the march through the desert to the front. Image : Camels are loaded , waiting groups , the camels are the left front legs tied ; issue of food . (19 m ) 3 Between Title: Image : In a French town are soldiers at a roadblock , other road crossing , also a roadblock , soldiers try to run away from the barricade and go back into protective position; street fight scene; French shops on the right and the left. (21 m ) 4 Between Title: Image : lull , Turkish soldiers on a river bank , a small sheep feed , wash their horses . (7 m ) 5 Between Title: General Liman von Sanders. Image : General Liman von Sanders in a group of three for a photo standing by ; adoption ; mounted troops in the picture with General von Sanders . (10.6 m ) 6 Between Title: Image : Soldiers clear a fire in the dunes. ( 9.8 m ) 7 Between title : Turkish barracks ancient citadel . Image : Panning along the plants and the environment , mountain range in the background; guards , children running around. ( 31.2 m ) 8 Between title : camp of the Red Cross of the German expedition to Gallipoli . Image : Paramedics carry a wounded man to the big tent. (2 m) 9 Between Title: Image : Infantry basic training on a large outdoor area . (4 m) 10 Between Title: Turkish soldiers during road construction in the desert. Image : Burrowing be hacked into the side-line , loaded stones into baskets and carried away. ( 6.7 m )

Source: German Federal Archive

Mike

The Bundesarchiv may apologize but I took the movie and separated it. Here is the visit of the German Kaiser Wilhelm II on his visit to Ariburnu in 1917.

and I added some music - just the pleasure for the victory ;-))

• 10 months later...

I have a copy of 'Heroes of Gallipoli' that I bought from the Australian War Memorial. Log on to the site (www.awm.gov.au), click on Search our Collections and do an advanced search for 'Gallipoli' with the 'Film' box checked. As well as Heroes of Gallipoli there's a range of results including interviews with veterens, etc. It cost about A$50 to have the 20 minutes of film copied to VHS and posted to me.

It's very interesting - particularly the scene of the firing line during the attack on Sari Bar. (This scene is available to download from a website somewhere but I can't remember where I've seen it). Most of the scenes deal with day-to-day life: unloading barges, carrying water, leading mule teams, etc. If you are a Gallipoli student the film is worth checking out.

Cheers,

Mat

Glad to have helped Mike,

In case you have not yet seen the Ashmead-Bartlett film clip which was referred to by Mat, then it (19+mins.) can be accessed here http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060023379?bt=europeanaapi

Note: “During the attack on Sari Bair Australian troops fire out from their newly-held trenches;

Ashmead-Bartlett, at the far end of the trench, rushes back to the camera as the fire starts.”

(or

“Don't shoot the camera-man; he's doing his best”)

regards

Michael