Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery badge

DrB

Now, pals...here is another bead on the chain of confusion.

I own a white metal badge which is slightly larger than the West Kents but a dead ringer in pattern, rearing horse, etc, but....on the scroll below is the word "INVICTA" in old English, but no Royal West Kent title scroll beneath it. No title scroll of any kind. (Scratch the West Kents) I can not find this critter in any of my references, KK, Gaylor or Cox, plus some more esoteric and less used ones.

Any help? I think it is more of a contemporary thing and definately not WWI, but I am looking for some answers.

My very sincere "Thanks" in advance.

DrB

:blink:

It's the (Queen's Own) West Kent Yeomanry. Lousy pic, but the one I have most appropriately sized! They have an entry in the Regiments section of the main site.

post-23-1102846293.jpg

Oooh beaten to it again. The design still lives on, slightly more stylised, it is in use as epaulette badges for the Kent Fire Brigade.

Steve

Sorry gang, it isn't the Yeomanry because the scroll underneath the horse is in old English, just like the WK cap badge. There is just no scroll underneath the "INVICTA" scroll.

It is 45mm tall and 32 mm wide. The WK cap in my collection is 41mm tall by 45mm wide due to the Royal West Kent scroll at the bottom.

Tom Morgan...not THAT big!

oh yeah..the slider on the back is in white metal also.

DrB

:(

For Jim Mclean...thanks for the link...extact same badge and still a "head scratcher." I bought it years ago from a British soldier, an exchange officer, at a US Army fort on the Virginia peninsula while I was enroute to Washington DC for some course or something. There was a little badge/insignia show at the army museum there and I picked up some other things from him as well. He told me what the thing was when I purchased it, but now, of course, I can't recall. I do not think it as a police badge, but....I may be in error.

For langleybastion.... That badge, flattened and large, is on the front of the boiler, not beneath it. Now that would be flat!

Thanks, Pals

DrB

:rolleyes:

I own a white metal badge which is slightly larger than the West Kents but a dead ringer in pattern, rearing horse, etc, but....on the scroll below is the word "INVICTA" in old English,

It sounds like a 20th London{Blackheath & Woolich}Regt,badge with the Lower scroll broken away they wear the Olde English "Invicta" {or possibly a collar if not damaged}It could be a Special Constabulary Badge.

HB...I looked at the darn thing again this am and found no evidence of a lower title being cut off or otherwise removed. I think it is rather large for a collar and has a slider for retention.

On further examination, it appears to be chrome, vice white metal and therefore, it will more than likely end up in my "probables" box as a constabulary badge. Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

DrB

:rolleyes:

Hello DrB

I recently obtained this badge which sound like yours, although the horse is the same size as the Royal West Kent or 20th London and not larger like yours. I put it in the junk box as my opinion at the time was that the scroll had come off but there is no evidence of this. Possibly it never had one.

DrB;If its a Chrome one,{All over even Slider}I have one similar,it is either Kent Special Constabulary:Cadets or Even Local Authority Officals{KCC}& The Invicta is "Olde English"

Bingo! Bingo! my eternal thanks to 7t2ndswinger and HB. The enigma is at last solved! (But doubtless more, anon)

DrB

B)