Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn The Queens Royal West Surrey

Kev R

My downloaded copy of the war diaries for the 10th Bn The Queens Royal West Surrey states on the 7th Oct 1916 that the "Corps was disposed for action. report of action attached". I am unable to locate a copy of the report in the NA download and tantalisingly this is the day I believe my relative was killed. Would anyone know where I would be ablest to get hold of a copy of this report?

Also, the day before they were in "Factory Trench" and I have not been able to work out where this is, again does anyone have any clues?

Any help would be much appreciated.

For the Action Report look at the War Diaries for the 124th Brigade.

For a map look at this post in another thread. You can also look at the map here: http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A4059/-/collection

Mark

Edited by BFBSM

• 8 months later...

Kev, have you found an answer to this yet? I have the 124 Brigade war diary for October and there is a map on this forum showing Factory Trench. If I can work out how to do it I will post a link.

Edited by Sæ Wylf

The map is in this thread and Factory Trench must be Factory Avenue as the Kings Rifles are in North Road in Support and Queens are in reserve so wouldn't be further ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

I did, many thanks. Turns out the chap at the centre of the link you suggested was actually the chap I was investigating, a family relative. I managed to get hold of the service record for the guys investigating it and they have sent the docs off to the cwgc with a view to the grave in question beine rededicated to him. 

As an extra, I was out in France earlier this year and took my grandson to the grave in question. Arguably the first time someone has actually visited him since he was killed, quite humbling.