Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rare books

gronksmil

Here is my most precious and rarest of books. It is the handwritten notes of Sergeant Holz, 5th Squadron, 2nd Dragoon Regiment, from his time attending the German Cavalry Telegraphy School in 1905/6. The book is full of the most amazing illustrations, all hand-drawn as well.

IMG_0542.jpg.8bdabf25815d18c64535b15b73feda1c.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg.30e2848b8fdf9adc70000bcb9e6daddd.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg.3503198a8f3758feed611fe92ee1d8ab.jpg

Just purchased a very reasonably priced copy of Liddel Harts correspondence with TEL written whilst LH was producing his hagiography of the man, apparently only 100 printed and this signed by LH. As a bonus the dealer had a copy of the record compiled by a member of the Brough Superior Club detailing each of the Brough machines Lawrence owned and his correspondence with Mr Brough.

Sounds fascinating, David. Another one to look out for.

Delivered today amongst all the C*#**##*s cards was this Memorial volume to a VC. Tisdall was a 2nd Lt. with the RNVR and won his VC on 25th April 1915 rescuing wounded soldiers from ‘V’ Beach at Gallipoli. Sadly he was killed a few days later and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial. He seems to have known Rupert Brooke, travelling to the Middle East on the same ship and taking local language lessons together. Although from a major publisher I suspect this was printed to order in a small quantity. I’m only aware of 3 other such memorials to a VC.76820D0E-1767-4345-A22C-DA60A38FAC51.jpeg.c9af0c3a147e1b4270103dde7ec33624.jpeg

Nice buy , I see that the N&MP hardback reprints from the nineties are selling for £50 + .

Must see if I can't lay hands on that, Tisdall is a hero of other half's.

3 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Nice buy , I see that the N&MP hardback reprints from the nineties are selling for £50 + .

A reasonable buy then at £43.

25 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

A reasonable buy then at £43.

Very !

• 2 weeks later...

Latest acquisition.

IMG_20181217_175711.jpg

Very nice and rather scarce. Nice to see some women’s poetry here.

She is rather an interest of mine because of the Oxford connection. I got it with a friendly BOGOF - Vera Brittain's The Women at Oxford, a very slightly sub-standard copy.

Edited by seaJane

Here’s a couple of rare P.O.W. Memoirs for the festive season (& all the way from New Zealand in less than a week!)

’In German Hands’, published by Heinemann in 1916, is the diary of a French soldier captured in October 1914. Due to his injuries the Germans took him to hospital in Metz where they amputated his leg. He was eventually repatriated.

Capt. Gilliland of the Loyal North Lancs was captured at 1st Ypres & spent 2 1/2 years in various camps before escaping. The Gilliland is not hard to find but both are exceedingly scarce in their jackets.

3F0FAFB4-53A7-4D6F-BC61-F6FEACF0AFB6.thumb.jpeg.58da641c9f4620b62a1c8517c079f33b.jpeg

Two great jackets ! The 1st North Lancs are quite fortunate in having two other members who wrote memoirs about their experiences in the first few months

of the war . Which is also quite fortunate for me as my grandfather was in the battalion and taken prisoner at First Ypres , so I can get a little idea of what he

must have gone through .

Hows this for a rare book?  A Christmas present from my Fiance. On the face of it nothing really special, a rebound annotated copy of an Great War Official History, France and Belgium 1916 Part I, no red cover no book of maps, no appendix volume.

However closer inspection reveals it to be the second proof copy of France and Belgium Part I, signed by Edmonds and Becke with corrections of course.

EDCB8B5C-C459-4B16-9F3B-76F4675E5254.jpg.c97474d7faa9d87047d7a3c9b99d72f0.jpg

71EC3BED-72DC-4006-A7D9-3B80D31D81BC.jpg.8b37f8da4767341efc258b5e5699f879.jpg

Rarer than flying reindeer S**t after a trip to the White House

Edited by MartH
Typo

Oh, very nice. Who’s a lucky boy then. Perhaps she’d tell my wife where she finds such gems.

36 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Oh, very nice. Who’s a lucky boy then. Perhaps she’d tell my wife where she finds such gems.

Alan , you can train your own wife to be a book truffle ***.

a fit of Christmas madness plus a offer of a discount lead me to purchase some books from T.D. current lists amonst those purchased were

"Two years after or twelve months of Amageddon"  by a regimental sawbones 1915-1916 printed for private circulation in 1918 deals with service in the Loos salient

"Leaving Rouen for the Somme" diary of A E Coles Somerset L I reported missing 4/10/1917 at Messines ridge date/place of publication ? includes loosely inserted a photograph of him dated December 1916

Not cheap but bitter experience has taught me that if you see a book you want and it is "reasonably" priced go for it as the chances of seeing it again maybe very slim!

22 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

Not cheap but bitter experience has taught me that if you see a book you want and it is "reasonably" priced go for it as the chances of seeing it again maybe very slim!

Very true!

Congrats on this purchase!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

6 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

a fit of Christmas madness plus a offer of a discount lead me to purchase some books from T.D. current lists amonst those purchased were

"Two years after or twelve months of Amageddon"  by a regimental sawbones 1915-1916 printed for private circulation in 1918 deals with service in the Loos salient

"Leaving Rouen for the Somme" diary of A E Coles Somerset L I reported missing 4/10/1917 at Messines ridge date/place of publication ? includes loosely inserted a photograph of him dated December 1916

Well done. I’d considered those two in the last catalogue but forgot about them. Now I’m deeply regretting not taking advantage of the discount. Can’t buy them all, I guess.

Nothing worth watching on the TV over Christmas, so dug deep on the internet and found this book. I haven't read it yet, but I understand its well rated. Can't see one for sale with a dust jacket and inscription anywhere else. Chuffed! Happy New Year!

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Excellent buy. I should clearly spend less time staring at the box.

Yes , very nice . I only bought my copy of the book a month or so ago ( no jacket or signature ) , I think what put it on the back burner

for me was that it was always classed under regimental history in the old Turner Donovan catalogues so was never really on my wants

list . I now realise that it is more memoir than regimental and it shall be next on my reading list . I also notice , looking back at my early

T.D catalogues that it wasn't a particularly cheap book to buy , a signed copy back in 2001 was £65 and a fine file copy £75.

'The Storm Of Steel' much reduced at Peter Harrington!

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

'The Storm Of Steel' much reduced at Peter Harrington!

£1688! A real bargain. They’ve had that copy for at least 4 years. They previously sold a copy for £2500 but there doesn’t seem to be anyone else that foolish.