Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Hospital in Oldham?

8055Bell

Thanks Both,

From Oldham Hulme site, "The Knoll" is repeatedly mentioned as a VAD location.  The Register entry below says this was on Windsor Road and occupied by a Doctor-dormitory or not? 

Leach, Robert Wild

Date of Birth: 6 March 1885

Register Number: 90

Pupil from January 1896 to Summer 1900.
Parent: Dr Leach [Doctor] of The Knoll, Windsor Road, Oldham.
Previous School: Werneth Collegiate.

These buildings are a row of 3 Victorian houses that remain there today.  Hence we are only left with 2 possible locations in the Oldham / Grotton area that have been demolished.  Woodfield is the best bet because it was only recently demolished, it was near their family and Amy worked there.  It also had cots post war.

Based on what we've summised I'm going to ask the prime demolition contactor in Hull if they knocked it down - I think Ian doesn't have direct contact with his man there any longer.

Tim

Hi All

Dr.Abraham Leach of the Knoll, Windsor Road, Coppice, Oldham, (OL81RG) died on 12th Dec, 1914, left £153K. So his house was no doubt turned into the Dormy House.

Here he is:- Regards Barry

407f2590-ceda-4b19-8fe4-6885f315c3ca.jpg?client=TreeService&maxside=280

His son to whom probate was granted, Robert Wild Leach (Oldham Hulme Grammar) became a Captain in the 1st Bn.Suffolk Regt. and died in 1950.Camberley,Surrey

Edited by The Inspector

Hello Tim and the other lads helping with this thread,  Tim-I can pop in to Sam Allons after work on Friday if you want me to!. Also as you have said I believe the old boy who had the plaque has passed away (hence the family passing it on to me) but I will find out just in case. Apart from that that I for one am very grateful for what you all are doing to give these lads the recognition they deserve and if you think I can help in any way just let me know, Thanks  Ian Gawthorpe.

Nice find Barry, quite a fortune in those days, years ago Coppice was the place to live for the wealthy.

Mary the elder sister was also a Nurse, but in Ashton u Lyne

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?fname=mary&sname=clegg&id=43437&forwards=true

There is also a good explanation of the work Alice Clegg was involved in on Scarletfinders

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/158.html

Charlie

18 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Hello Tim and the other lads helping with this thread,  Tim-I can pop in to Sam Allons after work on Friday if you want me to!. Also as you have said I believe the old boy who had the plaque has passed away (hence the family passing it on to me) but I will find out just in case. Apart from that that I for one am very grateful for what you all are doing to give these lads the recognition they deserve and if you think I can help in any way just let me know, Thanks  Ian Gawthorpe.

Yes please Ian,

I hadn't realised that the chap who had the plaque has passed away.  Does this mean he was too old to have been working in 2011?   That would discount Woodfield, Werneth and make  Saddleworth Red Cross Hospital, Ashway Gap, Greenfield, demolished 1980s more likely.

It would be great if you find anything from Same Allons.  I was tempted to email, but a personal approcah is more likely to succeed.

Cheers

Tim 

15 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Mary the elder sister was also a Nurse, but in Ashton u Lyne

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?fname=mary&sname=clegg&id=43437&forwards=true

There is also a good explanation of the work Alice Clegg was involved in on Scarletfinders

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/158.html

Charlie

Very interesting.  Thanks.

No problem Tim, I actually know a couple of their tipper drivers so should be able to get my foot in the door when I go on Friday, also regarding the old boy who had the plaque-I will let you know tomorrow what his status is, thanks, Ian.

Just to add that I have been informed that the old boy that had the Plaque states he found it in a house in Hull working for the demolition company I am going to see tomorrow (Friday 20th Jan 2017),  sadly he also has Alzheimer,s. I have been told, but I have got a relative of his to ask him about the Plaque tomorrow so we will see...Ian.

Just to add that I have been informed that the old boy that had the Plaque states he found it in a house in Hull working for the demolition company I am going to see tomorrow (Friday 20th Jan 2017),  sadly he also has Alzheimer,s. I have been told, but I have got a relative of his to ask him about the Plaque tomorrow so we will see...Ian.

The Plaque did come from a housing demolition in Hull, we do not know when or where!, I visited Sam Allon,s yard in the old industrial part of Hull (Wincolmlee) and spoke to a very nice lady who said they never did jobs that far from Hull. I was not given the chance of seeing someone in authority. And as for the old boy who had the Plaque- I am afraid his disease is impairing his memory. So I am afraid I am not helping much!!  Ian.

• 2 years later...

As an update, I found the plaque was installed in Oldham Royal Infirmary in 1916.  This is my Journal of the Clegg brothers and their plaque.

Any comments & corrections are welcome.

Thanks to Ian for starting me on this journey.  The Museum is still closed and I haven't found any family members yet.  I hope to take it to Ashton when the Museum reopens.

Tim