Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry V given a Great War background

seaJane

Looks terrific seaJane, and what a series of venues! Presumably 'the Lads in their hundreds' will feature amongst the Housman additions.

David

I'm really looking forward to it and agree about "Lads in their hundreds".

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Unfortunately the times/places aren't good for me, so let's hope they tour it again at a later date (I notice it has been done a few times over the last couple of years).

Yes, it has, and I don't know how I missed the tour in among Shakespeare'sDead400 last year! I will report back.

I will be very interested to hear what that is like.

The Royal Shakespeare Company have done two productions of Love's Labours Lost in the context of the onset of WW1. Last year they also did Much Ado About Nothing in a ost WW1 scenario.

Roger M

The RSC production is back on in London now. 

29 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

The RSC production is back on in London now. 

Both the current Love's Labours Lost and Much ado About Nothing (as Love's Labours Found.

Roger M

• 1 year later...

Playing Catch up here, but this year the Shaw Festival (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario Canada) did a production of Henry V that takes place during the First War. 

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/review/2018/08/09/shaw-festivals-henry-v-is-high-concept-but-emotionally-remote.html

The first Act ends with the Canadians going over the top, and the second begins with the survivors in hospital, with the nurses picking the play back up.  I found it very engaging, and the designer Cammy Koo (incidentally a former student of my wife's) did a lot of research to make the uniforms as accurate as possible.

Michael

Going to see the Antic Disposition production again on Monday in Salisbury Cathedral. A tall medieval nave isn't the best for acoustics (I wish I'd seen it at the Inns of Court) but luckily I know the play well.