Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Willdey Wallis

SJV

Hello!  I am trying to track down Walter Willdey Wallis.  He was from Coleshill in Warwickshire, and is recorded on a WW1 Memorial to the fallen there.  However, I can find no trace of him in the military records.  I have found his death certificate, which indicates that he was a Staff Sergeant in the ASC when he died on the 9th June 1917 at 15 South Terrace, Penzance (aged 35).  He is buried in Penzance Cemetery and has a private gravestone.  He died from a diabetic coma so not directly related to his service, but as it was during the war and he appears to have still been serving with the ASC I am puzzled as to why I can find nothing else out.  Any help very gratefully received!  :)

Hi SJV

Puzzled! I can't find anything else for him either, no trace 1911 census ...yet

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi

His birth cert is 3rd qtr 1882 Solihull, 6d,537 Walter WILLDAY Wallis........looking

Regards Barry

Who registered his death?

Edited by The Inspector

1891 census aged 9. Oldest of 8 children! Living in Wishaw. 

Edit not the one in Scotland. In Warwicks

Edited by Mark1959

5 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

Hi

His birth cert is 3rd qtr 1882 Solihull, 6d,537 Walter WILLDAY Wallis........looking

Regards Barry

Who registered his death?

His death was registered by his father W Wallis, who was in attendance.

Probate in July 1917 seems to have been to his Dad. Suspicion would be no overseas service and lost records. Does not explain lack of other records

Hi

His brother Stephen Baron Wallis signed up in Canada in 1915...looking..prev 6mths CFA

Regards Barry

His brother Thomas also signed up 1915 in Canada, prev 8 mths Colonial Light Horse, S.A.

Edited by The Inspector

Family appears in 1901 at Coleshill. Stephen is there but Walter is not. In 1911 the mother and father are in Penzance with just one child left. 

Hi

Brother Montague Osborne Wallis, b.1886  was 6489 Hussars of the Line, service started 1905, Chelsea Pensioner, d.1.11.1933, Mental Hosp, Hatton, Warwickshire.

A family of soldiers so I can't see why Walter wouldn't have served abroad!

Regards Barry

Brother, Joseph b.1889 became a Master in Merchant Navy.

Father Walter died 3.1.1941 probate to youngest son Frederick...an accountant.

Edited by The Inspector

He is not recorded in Soldiers Effects indicating that he was serving when he died (assuming he was serving under his own name)

And if you put date of death and ASC into Geoffs Search Engine

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/sxH4H.php?value=1&pageno=1

it would appear that he was not serving under an alias

Got a hit for a newspaper article:

Cornishman, Thursday 21 June 1917. 

The mortal remains of the late Mr Walter Willdey Wallis, of No. 15, South Terrace, were laid to rest in the borough cemetery on Thursday afternoon, the Rev. Canon Young officiating.  The first portion of the service was taken in St Mary’s Church.  The mourners were Mr Walter Wallis (father), Mr Montague Osbourne Wallis (brother) and Capt. Rd. Chiffers.  The casket was of panelled English elm, the plate of which bore the inscription: “Walter W. Wallis, died June 9th, 1917, aged 35 years.”  Very beautiful floral tributes were laid on the casket, as follows: “In loving sympathy,” from Mrs E Harris; “With deepest sympathy,” from Mr and Mrs Herbert Taylor; “With sympathy,” from all at 27, North Parade; “In ever loving memory of my darling boy,” from his devoted girl; “In loving memory of our dear friend,” from Reginald and Florence Squires; “With deepest sympathy,” from Mr and Mrs Pengelly, The Minney.  The hearse and carriages were supplied by Mr E W Trythall, and Mr William Inch was the undertaker.

Edited by SJV

I've added the full details of his funeral (see above) but still no clues!  I'm not sure if much can be deduced from the fact he is referred to as 'Mr' rather than his military rank???   I've tried the London Gazette and also Nat Archives military records prior to the war... nothing!  Argh!!!