Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

84/98 with shortened blade ?

wjones74

2x Gottlieb 84/98s My reference book states the blades on these are 251mm , the one with the Czech frog measures 245mm , the fuller also appears to be re ground and set back 6mm look at how thin the ricasso is . Armourer repair? any info greatly appreciated

Kindest

Will.

Gottlieb.jpg

Hi Will,

Not at home now and so can't check but the length could be ok - these are formed from stamped blanks with a fuller, and so the individual grinding the blank to specification may have overdone it! Offhand, I can't recall right now if there is a copy of the official specifications for these bayonets. As for the narrow gap between fuller top and blade spine, I have a couple like that, one a sawback, in which the saw teeth are cut into the top of the fuller in places.

Note also possibility of these being 'dress' ones, which do vary in length. Do they have any official markings on the blade spine, e.g., emperor's initial and date and/ inspection letter? 

Julian

Hmmm... I just checked with my Gottlieb's and yes 251 or so, as is a WKC one I randomly picked up. And a quick check in the books I have confirms 251 as 'regulation', but I haven't yet found an official specification... Lubbe and Carter's book shows some 'dress' examples at less than 251, including one at 246. So, do these have any official markings? If the short one does not, then perhaps a 'dress' one? After all, the fuller on that looks ok to me.

Julian  

Well, I guess it is one of those 'exceptions that prove the rule'!:thumbsup: But the distance between the fuller end and the blade tip seems ok and so it is not shortened at that end...!  Check the pommel for an 'RC' mark by the inspection mark (the fraktur): if one is there then it was made as a shortie for some reason and subjected to further official inspection which approved it for service... 

Hello Chaps,

glad to see my old mate Julian is all over these 2 as well, it baffled me when I saw it against the other one, so good to have bit of feedback from you lads ☺

BTW Julian, see you are still to capture a ross bayonet, so might have a little surprise for you next time you are in UK mate. Will email in morning....oh & HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all,

Cheers,

Aleck 

13 hours ago, wjones74 said:

Hope so, I love seeing slight oddities . I will ask about the pommel . I believe you know the owner of these bayonets ! hi Aleck 

Oh, how we like these oddities!:blink: One idea to progress further is to measure the fullers... It is wasn't for the W/17 I would be thinking it could be a re-hafted 71/84, except that it doesn't have a square end to the fullers... I am beginning to think it might be a late Saturday afternoon one, some chap in a hurry to go off to his stammtisch... 

7 hours ago, sawdoc34 said:

glad to see my old mate Julian is all over these 2 as well, it baffled me when I saw it against the other one, so good to have bit of feedback from you lads ☺

BTW Julian, see you are still to capture a ross bayonet, so might have a little surprise for you next time you are in UK mate. Will email in morning....oh & HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all,

Cheers and a very Happy New Year to you also Aleck! Were you up across the border, hogmanay-ing? I trust that you are having a LONG well-deserved break from travelling and working?!

Yes, this one is a neat oddity, and it is always nice to have one that challenges the 'accepted' rules! Not too worried about the narrow space between the fuller and the blade spine as that could certainly be a grinding error.

A Ross would be nice but not certain when I am next back home as funds are low thanks to the collapse in the need for 'expert' tour guides over here these days...  

Aleck and Will, all the best anbd thanks for this 'food for thought'!

Julian 

Edited by trajan

All the best to you and yours Julian ! I actively seek out the unusual (you should see my wife ) we shall no doubt speak again ! many years ago i found an" upside down " maker mark never seen one since , i believe i posted my F.W.HOLLER wonky stamping dated 17 on here to find to my surprise someone also had one dated 17 !

It's why i love this hobby and why my AUDI doesn't exist .

Regards,

Will.