Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bibliography of Books on Salonika, particularly memoirs

MaureenE

I'm awaiting delivery of 'Under the Devil's Eye...' Ordered from my Xmas pressie cash after reading Crunchy's review a while back.

I also have on the shelf 'Cardiff Pals' which tells the story of the 11th Welsh.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardiff-Pals-Commercial-Welsh-Regiment/dp/B01MTP1DN5/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515369193&sr=1-2&keywords=cardiff+pals

Bernard

• 2 months later...

I am writing a book about Salonica, with a bibliography of more than 200 books only writen by writers that were in Salonica during the war  I also have more than 150 articles, mostly in magazines and links to newspapers with hundreds of articles. Most of these books are from British writers, there are many from French writers and some from Greeks, Italians, Russians, Serbs, Germans, Bulgarians, Americans, Canadians, Spanish. I hope the book will be ready in November...

I would recommend Mark Mazower’s “Salonica, City of Ghosts”, a very readable history of the city which covers  the war years well, including the Great Fire.

cheers Martin B

• 6 months later...

Two more titles, one of which is fiction.

Come to the Cook-House Door! A V.A.D. in Salonika. Juliet de Key Whitsed 1932

Described as "Illuminating and entertaining diaries of "adventure and work" of a VAD in Salonika from June 1917 to June 1919"

https://www.peterharrington.co.uk/come-to-the-cook-house-door.html

Fiction: A V.A.D. in Salonika : a tale of a girl's work in the Great War  by Bessie Marchant.c 1919

Cheers

Maureen

Another title:

No.4 Canadian Hospital. The Letters of Professor J.J. Mackenzie from the Salonika Front.

by John Joseph Mackenzie, published  1933 Toronto.

"A series of letters written by MacKenzie between May 1915 and June 1916. Includes a memoir by his wife Kathleen Cuffe Mackenzie.

John Mackenzie only served briefly before being repatriated home to Canada because of a heart infection, which stayed with him and caused his untimely death in 1922. During The Great War Mackenzie joined No.4 Canadian General Hospital, becoming a captain in April 1915 and head of its laboratory. Staffed largely from Toronto's hospitals and the university, the unit went overseas the following month. From November to August 1916 Mackenzie served with it at Salonica (Thessaloniki), Greece, where his work on severe dysentery led to improved treatment. These war time letters were published posthumously.

In addition to being an army officer, Mackenzie was also a scientist, civil servant and professor".

https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8075700475&searchurl=kn%3Dthe%2Bsalonika%2Bfront%26hl%3Don%26sortby%3D20%26fe%3Don

Cheers

Maureen

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.13.03 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 11.12.15 pm.png

Edited by Maureene

• 1 month later...

As Isabel Emslie Hutton is mentioned here, I thought I would mention the following Lancet article:

Fara, P. Isabel Emslie Hutton: a doctor at war. Lancet (Online First) 10 November 2018 [Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673618328605?via%3Dihub ]

DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32860-5

Isabel Emslie Hutton a doctor at war Lancet 2018.pdf

Referring to the post above,

Memories Of A Doctor In War And Peace by Isabel Hutton, 1960,  which includes chapters about her war work.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.547361/page/n3 (missing at least page 2)

She also wrote a more detailed account  With a Woman's Unit in Serbia, Salonika and Sebastopol published 1928, but not available online (as far as I am aware) 

She was with Scottish Women's Hospitals.

Cheers

Maureen

• 1 month later...

I've just finished reading,  So Once More It Was Bundle And Go. It covers the Scottish Horse in Salonika prior to them heading to the Western Front to take up their role as scouts/snipers.

It's the first book I have read on the campaign, now intend to read, Under The Devil's Eye.

Further to my last, there is another recent book, No Sideshow” by Nigel Birch that certainly looks worth reading.

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

Just seen a copy of this for sale    Elsie Corbett   The Red Cross in Serbia , 1915-1919  published in 1953 by MacMillan in Canada

• 4 months later...

Can I add          Tales of a Field Ambulance  1914-1918    Told by the Personnel.   printed for Private Circulation by Borough printing  and Publishing CO. Southend-on-Sea  1935

This covers the war services of the 2/4 London Field Ambulance and has just over 50 pages about their service in Thessally.  One R Vaughan Williams was among their number.

I see Tom Donovan’s latest catalogue has a rather nice, jacketed copy of Marguerite Fedden’s ‘Sisters Quarters : Salonika’ for sale.

On 11/06/2019 at 01:24, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I see Tom Donovan’s latest catalogue has a rather nice, jacketed copy of Marguerite Fedden’s ‘Sisters Quarters : Salonika’ for sale.

There is mention of this book in an article about one of her co-workers,  Marjory Stephenson

"The Director of Medical Services in Salonika had seen Invalid Kitchens in Malta and asked that one be set up in Salonika. A Red Cross report of the time states that in June 1916 three VAD women cooks were sent from England and opened a kitchen at No 29 General Hospital, which was so successful that the following month it was decided to open three further kitchens. This sounds straightforward enough until we read the memoir of one of those first three VAD cooks: Sisters’ Quarters: Salonika by Marguerite Fedden, published in 1921."

https://www.bioc.cam.ac.uk/about-us/history/biographies/marjory-stephenson-during-the-first-world-war

Cheers

Maureen

Edit Archived version of link above

https://web.archive.org/web/20190611005349/https://www.bioc.cam.ac.uk/about-us/history/biographies/marjory-stephenson-during-the-first-world-war

Edited by Maureene

• 5 months later...

Another title  - Fiction

The Long Shadow by  Loretta Proctor

Publication Details: Kibworth Beauchamp : Matador, [2013]  ISBN 9781783060542

Stated to be "An evocative fictional account of the life of a VAD nurse in Salonika"

Cheers
Maureen

I am very slowly seeking to produce a bibliography regarding the Salonika Campaign.It may be a long job. I am limiting myself to books rather than journal items, and those written in the English language including printed translations only.  I will include all of the titles mentioned above, and am also working through bibliographies in the main published works, some of  are copied in earlier posts here. Eventually I hope that as a living record it will be hosted on the website of The Salonika Campaign Society, but I will certainly aim to find a way to post it here as well.
This will be a substantial task to fit in with my other interests, but when I am nearer to completion, which will at the earliest be in the second half of 2020 I will seek to share a first version,  in order to invite both corrections and additions.

I'm not seeking any help at this stage, as I seem to have quite a few sources to work through in what is theoretically marginal time, while pursuing other interests,  but I will obviously monitor further suggestions posted in this topic.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts

There's quite a way to go yet. I have been taking advice from a professional librarian about structure, and am making some changes to the spreadsheet over the next few days. Thank you Seajane, I hope that I produce somehting better as a result of your advice.

When I feel that I am nearer to finding as many titles as I can, I will issue an invitation for members with a specific interest to review the titles that I have added, and to let me know about titles that I have missed. I reckon probably a 3 or 4 week intial period would make sense for that.

I also want to ensure that the spreadsheet can be updated to allow for new publications, and for the discovery of forgotten work. Reading the thread elsewhere about rare books shows just how many Great War books I have never heard of, and how many are at risk of being lost.

Some of the titles will be almost impossible to find outside copyright libraries and a very few other institutions. In the majority of cases I don't have personal access to these titles, so I am using JISC and Worldcat as tools to confirm the details of publication .  JISC, although I gather it is not all embracing, is showing clearly  that only a  few major libraries have copies of many of the earlier titles. I am learning, as I work through this challenge, and it is beginning to look as if I shall have to seek renewed access to the Bodleian sometime next year for my own interest. It will be a more convenient source for me than the British Library.  Geography  as well as personal convenience makes a difference.

Catalogues have their own challenges though - seeking a title on another subject, a university librarian having consulted Copac (the predecessor to Jisc I gather), told me that the only copy available was in the library of York Minster (presumably gifted by the main editor a former Archbishop of York).  This year JISC has listed  five or six copies, including one in the university library concerned.

More titles: Collections and Recollections of 107th Field Coy., R.E.. Author: Great Britain. Army. Royal Engineers. Field Coy, 107th. Author may also be listed as M J Rattray. Published 1918. Available at the British Library UIN: BLL01001096078 .  

https://web.archive.org/web/20191203025151/https://www.turnerdonovan.com/booksPDS.aspx?stockNo=57465&mv=2&sn=1  Turner Donovan link advising this book is about Macedonia/Salonica.

Further Recollections of 107th Field Coy., R.EAuthor: Great Britain. Army. Royal Engineers. Field Coy, 107th. Author may also be listed as "Sapper J Robertson and Former Lieutenant M J Rattray". Published 1920. Available at the British Library UIN: BLL01001096079

The following soldier was in Salonica, but how much content there is about Salonika I do not know.

"The Misfit Soldier" : Edward Casey's War Story, 1914-1918  edited by Joanna Bourke.Cork : Cork University Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com.au/books/about/The_Misfit_Soldier.html?id=4bjvkipj6zwC&redir_esc=y

"Edward Casey, an underfed, undersized and semi-literate Irish Cockney from Canning Town, was no war hero. Even so, his account of four years of war service with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers is a remarkable chronicle, revealing his personal and sexual insecurities, his remarkable experience of Irish unrest during periods of training and leave, and his excitement as a military tourist in France, Salonica and Malta."

Available at the British Library  UIN: BLL01007460393 , catalogue entry says "Edited from a typescript in the Imperial War Museum. 
Author's pseudonym: John William Roworth. "

Online books recently added to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Salonica and the Balkans (First World War), some of which have been previously mentioned, but not the online links.

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Salonica_and_the_Balkans_(First_World_War)

A Six-Hour Shift by William McFee 1920 Archive.org. The author was an engineer on a refrigerated cargo ship (supplying frozen meat to the Armee d’Orient), which appears to have been moored off Salonika (for an extended period?). 1920. Archive.org. William McFee Wikipedia which states "During World War I he served in the Royal Navy as engineer in various transport ships". He wrote many books.

The Lovely Sergeant by Alan Burgess 1963. Archive.org Books to Borrow/ Lending Library. Flora Sandes

"The First World War" Chapter 15, page 186 Salonica, City of Ghosts by Mark Mazower. 2005. Endnotes page 459. Archive.org Books to Borrow/ Lending Library.

"A Consulate in War-Time" page 306 A Consul In The East by A. C. Wratislaw 1924. Archive.org. The author was the British Consul in Salonika 1915-1919.

Fiction

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

Thanks Maureene, I have listed some of those already, but not all. Please keep them coming. I know that you really put this idea into my head, so I hope that you will be happy to review the list once I catch up with my various lists.  I am finding life busy in the run up to a certain forthcoming event, but do hope for a few quiet days  nearer to the festive thingy. 

I hadn't really thought about fiction, although I have currently  included Bessie marchant's book, A VAD in Salonika.

I am finding ttiles from many sources at present,  including a couple from  Tom Donovan's latest auction catalogue. I'm about to revise the structure of the database slightly, thanks to Jane's helpful advice (off forum), and reckon I have some way to go. Titles on this thread will all be picked up, although I'm trying to do my almost structured searches elsewhere first.

Keith

Glad to have been able to help, Keith. 

I think that by JISC you mean COPAC's successor, LibraryHub Discover? (both run by JISC, the Joint Information Systems Committee).

https://discover.libraryhub.jisc.ac.uk/ for anyone interested.

Edited by seaJane
trypo

That's the one - sorry if I have caused any confusion. JISC fits much better on my favourites bar. I am finding it  and Worldcat very useful. A few of the earlier books ahve somewhat vague bibliographies.  Tom Donovan's latest catalogue, with its helpful descriptions has produced some titles of which  I was completely unaware.

I have amended my structure to take your advice into account, and am just reviewing the enties that I ahve made so far to tidy them up.

Thank you jane for your helpful and essential advice.

Keith

My very great pleasure to repay some of the assistance that you and the GWF have given me in the past.

sJ

Poems of a private. A souvenir of France and Salonica.

T. B. Clark, Rifleman.

London : William Nicholson & Sons., [1919?]

Could this possibly be  "Rhymes of a Rifleman" ?  published nicholson in 1916

I'm struggling to find the title as originally lested.

Keith

7 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Could this possibly be  "Rhymes of a Rifleman" ?  published nicholson in 1916

He wrote both:

Listed here.

sJ