Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why might soldier land St Nazaire

Skipman

Why might a reservist land at Saint Nazaire on the 21st of September, 1914. Why not further north at Boulogne or Le Havre. This soldier joined the 1st battlion Wiltshire Regiment at La Couture on the 14th of October. He had served with the 2nd battalion Wiltshire Regiment in the South African war. No service record survives for Private 5544 Charles Marshall and am trying to figure out his movements from the beginning of the war  up to the point he joined the 1st Wilts at La Couture. Have not found him on the 1911 census yet, last known living in Aberfeldy working on railway. (married Isabella Tarbet, January 1909).

Mike

Edited by Skipman
Added tag

Off the top of my head - was that not about the time that the deport at Le Havre was temporarily shut and re-located ?

Edit:

They re-opened some point in late Sep (see post #11)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Craig, I think you have it, it looks like the answer is, as usual, in The Long Long Trail.

" The German sweep across France in August 1914 caused the British concern with regard to Le Havre. The Base was temporarily moved to St-Nazaire but by October was once again moved to Le Havre.  "

Mike

1 minute ago, Skipman said:

Thanks Craig, I think you have it, it looks like the answer is, as usual, in The Long Long Trail.

" The German sweep across France in August 1914 caused the British concern with regard to Le Havre. The Base was temporarily moved to St-Nazaire but by October was once again moved to Le Havre.  "

Mike

I hadn't heard about it either until Phil mentioned it - makes sense I supposed based on the situation at the time.

I was more disappointed that the diary for Boulogne seems to have disappeared - always the one you need that isn't available...

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I noticed a while back when I was doing some work on the early Divisions shipping out to France, but didn't wonder any further as to why there was just a few movements there ! Without looking back over my library of  notes I think it might have been some units direct from Ireland to do with 6 Division.