Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Dewar's Brighton Autograph Album

Kathie

This is the autograph album of Margaret Dewar whilst she was nursing at Kitchener, Brighton. You may find that some of your soldier have written poems or drawn pictures and I would appreciate learning about their lives and what happened to them.04  To Sister Dewar.jpg1. Cover Autograph album.jpg

05 Who is it comes a perfect pest.jpg

I realise that I should put the title of each page with each post - the earlier lot were the cover of the album, and then the title of the page is tucked away in the top I hope - A bonny name is dewar,  A bird in the hand they say,  A spasm of Life,   Diary of one day in hospital 1, 2, 3, ,  Some Sister, Far from us all youre fighting.png

This album was obviously left behind with a friend in Brighton when Margaret Dewar when to Macedonia - after she was killed her effects were sent back to South Africa and sank with the hospital ship  on which they were travelling.

Fools enter in.png

Here I am at Brightyon.png

Heres to Bonnie Scotland.png

Heres to health and peace and plenty.png

Heres to the girl.png

Margaret Dewar started off with the Scottish Womens Hospital in Royaumont - having come back to Scotland from Germiston,  South Africa.   Here are the few pages which refer to Royaumont - early 1916.

Abbahye de Royaumont 1916.png

Salle Jeanne D'Arc.png

Salle Marguerite d'Ecosse.png

Margaret was at Brighton from about March 1916 until about August 1916.  Some of the soldiers date their contributions.

Has anyone done any work on autograph albums - who, why, what they meant,  style and so on.

these pages are - I know a fellow and he just got wed,  Ill go one said Austria,  Little bits of shrapnel, long may your lum reeks,  love is like a mutton chop,   inside cover "M S Dewar'

I know a fellow and he just got wed.png

I'll go one said Austria.png

Little bits of shrapnel.png

Long may your lum reeks.png

Love is like a mutton chop.png

M. S. Dewar 1916.png

I saved these in both Adobe and word - I am not very computer literate but hope everyone will be able to enlarge and read.

These pages are Mary had a little watch,  may you live as long as you want,   men have many faults they say,  my little grey house i the west,  my pen is blunt,   no more kissing cause you slobber,    Pte lawrence,  

Mary had a little watch.png

May you live as long as you want.png

Men have many faults they say.png

My little grey house in the west.png

My pen is blunt.png

No more kissing cause you slobber.png

Pte Lawrence.png

I do hope that  these autograph contributions add something to research on the individual soldiers - you can see who composes from scratch,  who might be a favourite (having more than one opportunity to write),   who are friends.

the pages are rockabye Zeppelin,    Shes got a smile,   Sincerity,    Some sister,   the Lucky Black Cat,  the Soldiers Toast,   there is a hospital not far away.

Rockabye Zeppelin.png

She's got a smile.png

Sincerity.png

Some sister.png

The lucky black cat.png

The soldiers toaast.png

There is a hospital not far away.png

Unfortunately many of the contributions were in pencil - somewhat faint and names not so good.  

Pages include  to our South African sister,   To sister Dewar,    tommy had a little wound,    Where was you wounded,  When upon the field of battle,  Who is it comes a perfect pest,     Why did I leave me appy ome.

To our South Africa sister.png

To sister Dewar.png

Tommy had a little wound.png

Whee was you wounded.png

When upon the field of battle.png

Who is it comes a perfect pest.png

Why did I leave me appy ome.png

I think I had these under wrong something  - Vain is the hope,    the onslaught was terrible,    A little bit of heaven (with lucky black cat)

40 Vain is the Hope and Sincerity.jpg

24a The onslaught was terrible.jpg

14 The Lucky Black Cat and A little bit of heaven.jpg

Alf Rudds entry alludes to the card game of Nap (Napoleon). This was a great family game on my mother's side and I have played it many times. Basically, each player is given five cards by the dealer. The top card is turned over for trumps. The person to the left bids as to how many tricks he can make (using the top card as well if wanted). The next person to the left ups the bid if he/she wishes - and so on around the table. The dealer has the last call. Each round saw each player put a penny in the kitty. If the winner on the bidding made the tricks stated he received a payment from each player. If I recall correctly it was 1d for three tricks, 2d for four tricks and 3d for all five tricks. If all five tricks are declared the player shouts "Nap". And if he/she wins, the kitty also comes there way. The more players around the table the more gets into the kitty to be eventually won.  

I can't add anything re the soldiers, but just wanted to thank you for posting these. What a great bit of history.

Kathie

Thanks for the view of this absorbing little book.

I shall see if I can flesh up some of the entries.

Private Joseph MOSSOP made it through to discharge to Class Z Army Reserve, seemingly in 1920. He first landed in France on 8 Oct 1915 in a replacement draft for Battalion losses early into the Battle of Loos from 25th Sept forward.

Along the way he changed Battalions of DLI an awful lot, perhaps a sign that he was in the wars in more than one sense, as changes usually indicated withdrawal for sickness or wounds. So he wrote in the book on 6.7.1916 as a 14 DLI man. A fair chance that he might have been wounded on the Somme during the Battle of Albert sometime after 1 July and brought to Brighton to recover. Recovery then took him to these battalions of the DLI over time: 12th ; 6th ; 11th ; 1/7th ; 19th ; and 15th, before transferring to the Northumberland Fusiliers up to war's end and who,as his final posting, prepared his medal entitlement in 1920.

I was hoping to see a service record on Ancestry but not as yet seen, maybe there's one on FMP ! In that way we can explain all the changes to his units.

There is no medical entry on Forces War Records either.

Suffice to say he survived !

Edited by sotonmate

On Post 6 page 2 "Alf RUDD":

9466 Private Alfred RUDD 9 Battalion Norfolk Regiment.

Enlisted 25 Jan 1915. Posted to France on 22 Dec 1915 as part of a replacement draft ( 9 Battalion had first landed on 30 Aug 1915).

Battalion was a part of 71 Infantry Brigade of 6 Division when he landed.

This Division fought three of the Somme 1916 battles (Flers-Courcelette (15-22 Sep),Morval (25-28 Sep)and Le Transloy (1-18 Oct)).

As there is no date on his page you might think that he was wounded in one of these battles, or earlier.

He was discharged to wounds on 21 April 1917 with GSW right foot and received a Silver War Badge "For KIng and Empire-Services Rendered".

No other papers found for the moment.

Edited by sotonmate

On Post 6 page 6 "A REARDON 7 East Surrey"

L/8913 Private Alfred REARDON 1 and 7 Battalions East Surrey Regiment.

Enlisted 24 Aug 1906. Posted to France with 1 Battalion (14 Infantry Brigade of 5 Division) on 16 Aug 1914 ( so he was an "Old Contemptible"). Forces War Records has an entry for him in 1914 which suggests that he may have been wounded or sick.This might account for his change of Battalion to 7 as it might be where he was posted back to later ?

7 Battalion was part of 37 Infantry Brigade of 12 Division. He has shown 7 Battalion in the autograph book and dated it 31.3.1916 so he had health problems (unspecified) again and finished up in the Brighton Hospital. Again there is an entry in Forces War Records, for 1916, but this might be the logging of his discharge to wounds on 12 Oct 1916 when he received a Silver War Badge.

No other papers found for the moment.

Edited by sotonmate

On Post 10 page 1 "Ivor J BOLT 3 Welch 1411".

1411 Private Ivor John BOLT 1, 3 and 19 Battalions Welsh Regiment and later 274694 Labour Corps. He has a service record surviving.

Enlisted 10 Mar 1914.Part training with 3 Battalion (Home Service) then  withdrawn until 16 Mar 1915 when he joined 1 Welsh and shipped to France.

Short stay due to GSWs legs and buttocks 25 May 1915 at Zillebeke. Home to recover. Whilst here deserted  on 4 Oct 1915 and rejoined on 29 Oct 1915. Court Martialled and received 1 year detention plus loss of service time since enlistment. Served 190 days and remitted by Commander. Back to BEF 12 June 1916 and served with 19 Welsh from 17 Jun 1916. Wounded again,shell shrapnel right calf 11 Jul 1916. Home on 16 Jul 1916. Signed autograph book at Brighton Hospital on 27 Sep 1916. Back to 3 Welsh 12 Dec 1916.

Posted to Labour Corps Agricultural Company at Home, service number 274694. Discharged 17 Jun 1919 to Silver War Badge" having suffered impairment since entry into service".

Phew !

Edited by sotonmate

This is exciting - please keep them coming.  DLI means Durham Light Infantry I assume.

It would be  great to have more.

I do hope that someone who is researching a soldier - feels that they have found a little something about him - his humour,  his poem, his joke!!!

Enjoy

Kathie

Kathie

It's a shame that there are so many without a military detail by which we can identify them ! Service number and unit. I will take a look now and then when I need a change of task but I know that most of it will be unsolvable !

This is fascinating what a wonderful record!

Post 10 page 3. Corporal William James Robertson 10489 Leinster Regt 1st and 2nd Battalions.

First landed in France on 21 Dec 1915 for service with 1st Bn (73 Infantry Brigade of 24 Division). Three campaign medals.

If we take the pages either side of this page it seems that a date of Sep 1916 might be appropriate for this entry. Perhaps you could confirm that the pages are date-sequenced (where there is a date that is!). So the soldier was in Brighton then. The likely chain of events would then be that he was re-posted, on regaining fitness,to 2nd Batt. in Salonika, where they fought with 29 Infantry Brigade of 10 Division until moving to Egypt in Sep 1917 and until the end of the war.

This soldier has no discharge date on either his MIC or on the Medal Roll (most on the page have this).

Edited by sotonmate

Post 8 page 2. Private George Horatio KNIGHT (2 MICs for the same number and Regt another says Horatio George).4454 East Surrey Regiment. Firstly served with 7th Battalion in 73 Infantry Brigade of 24 Division,hislanding in France on 29 Jul 1915. Then 9th Bn (72 Inf.Bde of 24 Division) in France, and finally 2nd Battalion (after mid-1916) in Salonika (85 Inf.Bde of 28 Division). George signed the book on 7 Jun 1916 whilst with the 9th Battalion, so after recovery transferred to the 2nd Battalion. Date NK as yet.

Discharged to Class Z Reserve on 12 Mar 1919.

Edited by sotonmate

Post 8 page 2. Private George Horatio KNIGHT (2 MICs for the same number and Regt another says Horatio George).4454 East Surrey Regiment. Firstly served with 7th Battalion in 73 Infantry Brigade of 24 Division,hislanding in France on 29 Jul 1915. Then 9th Bn (72 Inf.Bde of 24 Division) in France, and finally 2nd Battalion (after mid-1916) in Salonika. George signed the book on 7 Jun 1916 whilst with the 9th Battalion, so after recovery transferred to the 2nd Battalion. Date NK as yet.

Discharged to Class Z Reserve on 12 Mar 1919.

Kathie

Can you see if you can read the page with the black cat as I can't make out the surname of the Royal Sussex Regiment's CQMS, and post it here if you can ? Looks like Contstock but no hits so must be something else.

Looks like Caulstock to me.

sJ

Right on sj- Coulstock it is !

Post 10 page 3. GSSR/548 Company Quartermaster Sergeant Charles COULSTOCK 9 Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment. First landed in France on 31 Aug 1915 with the Battalion which was a part of 73 Infantry Brigade of 24 Division. In the hospital where he dates his entry 23 Sep 1916. No entry in Forces War Records to explain his hospitalisation.

Discharged to Class Z Reserve on 23 Feb 1919.

Edited by sotonmate