Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Bamblett brothers from Tonbridge, Kent

Fromelles

Hello all,

While researching the family connections of a soldier I've stalled, I'm after any information on the following brothers -

Two brothers served in the Australian Imperial Force:-

1967 Pte Albert Harold BAMBLETT - 32nd Battalion

27548 Gnr Robert Thomas BAMBLETT - 36th Heavy Artillery Group

and a third served in the British Army:-

Edward BAMBLETT

their mother stated he was "serving with the British Forces in Mesopotamia" but that is all that is said. Other information suggests he may have served with the Royal West Kent Regiment, but I've nothing to confirm if this is the case.

I did the usual google name search and found a - 8588 Pte Charles Edward BAMBLETT, MM - 10th Bn, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment - but this is really just a guess.

Their mother is Minnie Maria EDSON (remarried 16 August 1914 in Australia), and from what I can tell she looks to have arrived in South Australia with 2 daughters and 2 sons in about 1911/12, leaving at least a son in England. I'm assuming the father remained in England or possibly died prior as I can find no information of him and haven't even confirmed his name, the CWGC state that Albert was the son of Mr & Mrs T. Bamblett.

I've got the records from the Australian War Memorial & National Archives of Australia, BD&M etc but it's the British side of the research I'm struggling with. I'm hoping that by having such an unusual name there is a good chance of tracing the missing relations, if anyone could add anything to the above it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

This looks like Edward in the 1901 Census:

Name:             Edward Bamblett

Estimated birth year:           abt 1892

Relation to Head:       Son

Father:            Thomas Bamblett

Mother:          Minnie Bamblett

Birth Place:    Tonbridge, Kent, England

Civil Parish:    West Malling

Ecclesiastical parish:             West Malling St Mary

Town:             West Malling

County/Island:          Kent

Registration district:             Malling

Sub-registration district:      Aylesford

Household Members:          

Name Age

Thomas Bamblett      36

Minnie Bamblett       31

Edward Bamblett      9

Albert Bamblett         7

Reginald Bamblett    6

And this in the 1911 census:

Name:             Edward Bamblett

Age in 1911: 19

Estimated birth year:           abt 1892

Birth Place:    Hildenboro, Kent, England

Civil Parish:    Headley

Search Photos:           Search for 'Headley' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection

County/Island:          Hampshire

Street address:          Quebee Barracks, West Kent Regiment, Bordon

Marital Status:           Single

Military Unit:             1st Battalion R W Kent Regiment

Registration district:             Alton

Registration District Number:          108

Sub-registration district:      Binsted

Mike

Mike just beat me to it - but I can add:

England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915

Name:

Edward Arthur Bamblett

Registration Year: 1891

Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep

Registration district: Tonbridge

Inferred County: Kent

Volume: 2a

Page: 700

1901 census entry [piece 743 folio 50]

West Malling

Normans Row [4 rooms]

Thomas Bamblett head married 36 Gas stoker – worker b. Leigh

Minnie Bamblett wife married 31 b. West Malling

Edward Bamblett son single 9 b. Tonbridge

Albert Bamblett son single 7 b. Tonbridge

Reginald Bamblett son single 6 b. Tonbridge

1911 census entry [piece 6234]

Quebec Barracks, West Kent Regiment, Bordon [Hedley, Hampshire]

1st Battalion R W Kent Regiment

Edward Bamblett Private single 19 1st Bn Royal West Kent Regmt Soldier b. Hildenborough, Kent

[Hildenborough is on the outskirts of Tonbridge]

Medal Index Card

Bamblett Edward A.  Royal West Kent R.  A/C/Sergt L/9414

L/12474

Victory Medal

British War Medal

[pencil note 8-4-49]

Possible death – Probate Register entry 1964:

Bamblett Edward Arthur of 43, St Lukes Road Maidstone died 27th February 1964

Probate Lewes 22nd April to Lloyds Bank Ltd.

Effects: £5051

Dave Swarbrick

Edited by johndavidswarbrick
addition

For an unusual surname, the Bambletts seem to have spread far and wide..........

BAMBLETT, ALBERT HAROLD. Rank: Private. Service No: 1967. Date of Death: 17/04/1917.
Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 32nd Bn. 
Grave Reference: 5. 7. 39E. (GRM/5*). Cemetery: ADELAIDE (WEST TERRACE) CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Bamblett, of Waikeric. (WaikeriE?)

BAMBLETT, EDWARD JOSEPH. Rank: Private. Service No: 458. Date of Death: 21/09/1917. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: Australian Machine Gun Corps 2nd Coy. 
Grave Reference: V. D. 6. Cemetery: THE HUTS CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Daniel and Catherine Bamblett, of Devenish, Victoria. Australia.

BAMBLETT, FREDERICK JOSEPH. Rank: Private. Service No: 678763. Date of Death: 21/10/1918. Age: 23.
Regiment/Service: Canadian Army Medical Corps 
Grave Reference: Veterans. 265. Cemetery: TORONTO (PROSPECT) CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Joseph Bamblett, of 64, Courcelette Rd., Toronto, and the late Emma Bamblett.

BAMBLETT, HENRY WALTER. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 138520. Date of Death: 18/11/1916. Age: 33.
Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry "C" Coy. 75th Bn. 
Panel Reference:   Memorial: VIMY MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Henry and Harriett Bamblett, of 130, Courcelette Rd., Beach, Toronto, Ontario.

BAMBLETT, WILLIAM HENRY. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 9771. Date of Death: 07/08/1916. Age: 32.
Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 4th Bn. 
Grave Reference: V. O. 6. Cemetery: DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ.
Additional Information: Son of Emily Bamblett, of 25, Powder Mills, Tonbridge, and the late George Bamblett, Native of Leigh, Kent.

I'd have to assume that Courcelette Road was in existence prior to WW1 when it became more significant.

Edited by KevinBattle

Edward is listed on Medal Rolls as being with 2 Battalion RWK on first landing in war zone.

LLT : That Battalion was in India at Mooltan in Aug 1914 and moved into Mespot with Indian troops in Nov 1915. Edward probably moved out in a draft after the initial deployments,maybe after April 1916 due to detail below.

The battalion was split at that time (Nov 1915)  and 2 Companies went to 6 (Poona) Division and were besieged at Kut-el-Amara until captured in April 1916. The other half of the unit to 15 Indian Division, and later to 17 Indian Division to war's end.

Edited by sotonmate

Just to confirm that Thomas Bamblett died before his widow went to Australia:

England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915

Name Thomas Bamblett

Estimated Birth Year abt 1866

Registration Year 1907

Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar

Age at Death 41

Registration district Sevenoaks

Inferred County Kent

Volume 2a

Page 571

Dave Swarbrick

Mike, Dave, Sotonmate and Kevin,

Sorry about the delay, thank you all for your efforts.

So it looks like only the eldest son Edward Arthur Bamblett remained behind likely due to serving as a soldier at about the time of the family's move to Australia, there appears to be a couple of daughters too, a Grace Esther & Ruth Alexandra Bamblett but not mentioned in the 1901 census so possible late comers. 

Is there any chance of confirming whether the father's full name was Thomas Bamblett or is there a middle name or two? Even though I'm researching Albert Bamblett it's nice to be able to tidy up a few of the lose ends.

Again, thank you all for your help it's very much appreciated

Dan

Looking at the various censuses and the birth & death indexes it looks like Thomas and his brothers didn't have second names - but he did give them to his children..

None of the many public family trees on Ancestry seem to have a copy of his 1890 marriage certificate which can be ordered but it's an expensive way to possibly find the same result!

Mike

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Pleasantly surprised to see this post make another appearance.

My interest in your family stems from Albert's involvement with the 32nd Battalion during the Great War.

I've been researching the 32nd Battalion's involvement in the Battle of Fromelles for quite a number of years. Of the 223 men, of the 32nd Battalion, who died as a result of the Battle of Fromelles Albert was the last man I've identified to succumb to wounds sustained during the battle.

While trying to piece together Albert Bamblett's family I'd become a little stuck, but with the help of a number of forum member's we've pieced together the following -

Father: Thomas BAMBLETT - b. abt 1866 (Leigh, England) - d. (Jan-Feb-Mar) 1907 (Sevenoaks, Kent, England)
Mother: Minnie Maria HUGGETT - b. abt 1870, (West Malling, England) - m. ???

Edward Arthur BAMBLETT - b. (Jul-Aug-Sep) 1891, Tonbridge, Kent, England - d. 27 Feb 1964   [L/9414  & L/12474 A/C/Sgt Royal West Kent Regt]
Albert Harold BAMBLETT - b. ???, Tonbridge, Kent, England - d. 17 Apr 1917, No.7 Australian General Hospital, Keswick (Adelaide, SA) (buried West Terrace Cemetery)   [1967 Pte 32nd Bn]
Reginald (Robert) Thomas BAMBLETT - b. ???, Tonbridge, Kent, England - (m. Florence May DADDS - 1924 (Adelaide, SA)) - d. 2 Sep 1951 (Adelaide, SA) (buried AIF Cemetery (Row 21, Grave No.49) West Terrace, Adelaide)   [27548 Gnr 36th Heavy Artillery Group]

[2nd Marriage] Minnie Maria BAMBLETT - b. abt 1870, (West Malling, England) - (m. 16 Aug 1914, Minlaton, SA) - d. 18 Jun 1934, 28 Duke st, North Kensington (Norwood, SA)

Step-father: 

Johnny EDSON - b. 11 Jul 1871, Lyndock Valley, SA - d. 1953 (Port Adelaide, SA)
(1st Marriage: 25 Dec 1893, Wepowie, SA (Frome, SA) [Laura Elizabeth BOROUGH* - b. 30 Apr 1873, Prince Alfred Mine, SA - d. 6 Sep 1912, Minlaton Hospital (Daly, SA) - *Name at birth registered as: Elizabeth BOROUGH]

Step-brothers/sisters -

Clarence Roy EDSON - b. 25 Feb 1895, Orroroo, SA - (m. Doris May GIDDINGS - ?? 1928 (Adelaide SA)) - d. ???   [2284 Pte Clarence Roy EDSON - 48th Bn, AIF]
Arthur Leslie EDSON - b. ?? 1897, Broken Hill, NSW - d. (KIA) 4 Jul 1918 (France)    [4467 Pte Arthur Leslie EDSON - 10th Bn, AIF]
Susan EDSON - b. ?? 1901, Broken Hill, NSW - d. ???
Ivy Gladys EDSON - b. 13 Feb 1903 in Maitland, SA - (m. Prentice Norman MacDONALD - 30 Jun 1926, Waikerie (Wellington, SA)) - d. ??? 
Sterling Rowland EDSON - b. ?? 1905 in Maitland, SA - (m. Rita Hazel STEVENS - 1934 (Port Adelaide, SA)) - d. ???
Laura Elizabeth Olive EDSON - b. 30 Aug 1912, Minlaton, SA - d. ???

I've still not gotten any further with confirming the relationship between Albert and -

Grace Esther BAMBLETT
Ruth Alexandra BAMBLETT

I'm positive they must be sisters, likely born between the 1901 and 1911 census, however the research conducted (see above) hasn't succeeded in finding them.

If you or anyone else can help fill in any of the blanks or correct any mistakes I'd be most appreciative. If possible I'd particularly like to try and pinpoint the BAMBLETT's birth dates.

Kind regards,

Dan

Edited by Fromelles